Subject: Playing time. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hoffmann
United States
Fort Lee
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've played this game twice (with different groups) and both times the experience followed a similar pattern:
First 5 minutes - People kinda struggling to figure out what is going on. There are a LOT of kinda random things (yin-yangs for losing ships to then be used later) that people REALLY struggle for the first few minutes.
Next 45 minutes - People enjoying the game and "getting" it.

And then the game just keeps dragging on...
At one point everyone had a bunch of Adventurer cards and then realized the punishment for having cards at the end was such a powerful disincentive to draw cards (and thus end the game) that the game then ground down even slower...
I ENJOY the game, I do...But my question is how do people get games done in 60 minutes? I just don't see it happening. As it sits now, I'm not breaking this game out for people unless other people tell me my experiences are abnormal.
How long are other people's games lasting? Am I the only one who ends up with marathon games?

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burgess
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adam,
I played a 4 player game today and it was done in just over hour.
That included the teaching and setup.

My advice is to use the latest rules:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/134566/pirates-7-seas...

The first 3 adventure cards in a persons hand are free, and blackspots are reduced to -2VP.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.