Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group used to play "Titan" a LOT, years ago. Before that we played lots and lots of Risk (though we really hated certain things about it). Lately we've been missing that Risk/Titan sort of interaction, so I'm looking for a great "dudes on a map" game. I was considering Nexus Ops (we like the sci-fi theme and many reviewers called it a "Risk-killer"), but now there's so much buzz around Cry Havoc that I'm not sure if I should just wait for that...

Any suggestions? It doesn't need to be either of these, if you have some third option that beats the pants off both of them!

One caveat: We don't do fantasy themes (at least, nothing with magic, spells, curses, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Cry Havoc looks amazing. Watched several reviews and the Watch It Played play through and it seems intuitive and quick yet deep in strategy. The quality of components also looks exceptional. It's the only game I've ever preordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither.

Forbidden Stars

The best "dudes on a map" game out there imo. It has EVERYTHING. Deckbuilding, resource management, engine building, unique combat system, and an order system that I've never seen used in any other game. On top of all that, each faction has entirely unique abilities, units, combat cards, and event cards. While it can be a long game (roughly 45-60 minutes per player), it plays equally well at all player counts. And it encourage players to go after their objectives so it doesn't suffer from turtling.

This is a game that will scramble your brain and is not for the faint of heart. But if you're brave enough it will provide hours and hours of space fighting fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justrick wrote:
... and an order system that I've never seen used in any other game.

Then you probably do not know StarCraft: The Board Game.

Forbidden Stars is essentially the remake of that one.

I never played the new version, but its predecessor was great already, so I would expect it to be as good.

As for Cry Havoc, I just recently watched a few reviews of that one and heard comments like "this will completely replace Nexus Ops for me", so it might be worthwhile to wait.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikngZombeHntr wrote:
Cry Havoc looks amazing. Watched several reviews and the Watch It Played play through and it seems intuitive and quick yet deep in strategy. The quality of components also looks exceptional. It's the only game I've ever preordered.

I did really like the Watch it Played videos on it (still waiting for them to finish!). My only worry was that it seemed rather close and constricted, unlike Titan or Risk, which seem to have a bigger map to move around on.... I don't know if that would be a problem or not; it just raises a flag in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justrick wrote:
Neither.

Forbidden Stars

The best "dudes on a map" game out there imo. It has EVERYTHING. Deckbuilding, resource management, engine building, unique combat system, and an order system that I've never seen used in any other game. On top of all that, each faction has entirely unique abilities, units, combat cards, and event cards. While it can be a long game (roughly 45-60 minutes per player), it plays equally well at all player counts. And it encourage players to go after their objectives so it doesn't suffer from turtling.

This is a game that will scramble your brain and is not for the faint of heart. But if you're brave enough it will provide hours and hours of space fighting fun!

That sounds pretty awesome... I'll have to look into that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
justrick wrote:

I never played the new version, but its predecessor was great already, so I would expect it to be as good.

As for Cry Havoc, I just recently watched a few reviews of that one and heard comments like "this will completely replace Nexus Ops for me", so it might be worthwhile to wait.

Bye
Thanee

Do you know of any other good options, in case Cry Havoc doesn't work out? I am enamoured with the IDEA of TI:3, but it just seems way too long. I thought about Eclipse, but people keep complaining that it's too Euro for a 4x game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played one game of Cry Havoc and it is absolutely amazing. I would say it would be a fine purchase, unless you can't regularly get four players. It won't feel as epic as Titan though.

My recommendation for "Dudes on a map" games based on the # of players:
2. Star Wars: Rebellion
3. Forbidden Stars
4. Cry Havoc
5. Mare Nostrum: Empires
6. A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)

Kemet also plays well at 3-4 players, but I am not a huge fan of it. There is also Eclipse, which is a great game and will scratch the "epic game" itch more, but is more towards the resource management end of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 4x space games, there is also Exodus: Proxima Centauri, which is pretty cool.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Forbidden Stars. It's probably my favorite competitive game, as long as you have the time. Definitely gives off a large scale epic feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get Scythe. Everybody's doing it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
justrick wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Except Starcraft is now uber-expensive to pick up unless youget lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
Just get Scythe. Everybody's doing it...

Scythe is a good game, but I would never recommend it as a dudes on a map game. It is a resource management game with some area control, where every once in a while you can kick other people off and steal their stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
35.94%
badge
The phone's tapped anyway
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Stars is a great suggestion. The order system is indeed fantastic, as is the combat. I personally give the edge to Starcraft due to my appreciation for the IP, but unless you're ready to pay a mint, Forbidden Stars is awesome (and I actually prefer the combat in FS).

Nexus Ops is also amazing. It takes a fraction of the time, space, and rules overhead of FS.

I haven't investigated Cry Havoc, so this shouldn't be taken as an indication that these are _better_ than CH. But you really can't go wrong with Forbidden Stars AND/or Nexus Ops (emphasis on the and )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you want. What I love about Nexus Ops is that it doesn't have a lot of the added on stuff that Cry Havoc or Chaos in the Old World has. It's just pure DOAM action, easy to learn and plays fast. The action and scoring is tilted so that you just have to get out there and fight, no turtling or stalling. In my opinion, there's not a lot that can compete with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Mentat1231 wrote:
VikngZombeHntr wrote:

I did really like the Watch it Played videos on it (still waiting for them to finish!). My only worry was that it seemed rather close and constricted, unlike Titan or Risk, which seem to have a bigger map to move around on.... I don't know if that would be a problem or not; it just raises a flag in my mind.

The map that Rodney and his son were playing was the two player map. The board is double sided with a larger 3-4 player map on the other side. I do think it's still pretty tight to force interaction (read "conflict") but not as bad as it might look on the two player board. I also think that is one of the things that makes the game quicker than some other dudes on a map games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmb
+1 Forbidden Stars. Amazing game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bouthner
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am looking at getting Spheres of Influence: Struggle for Global Supremacy I too used to play alot of risk and from the reviews I have read spheres of influence fixes most all of the problems with risk and makes a way better game overall. With that said I have yet to receive my copy so I am just speaking based on the reviews I have read thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Nexus Ops. I was looking for a barebones doam I could play with my kids. I also liked how each side gets 6 different alien beasties (er 5 alien types and 1 human), best looking forces evarrr. Super fast setup and easy resource tabulation and spend.

I can see how others might tire of it and want something meatier over time but for us it works out great.

No shortage of titles to consider though...last time I made a general query on sci-fi doam got all these recommendations:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/17041669#17041669

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.