Hide
14 Posts

B-Sieged: Sons of the Abyss» Forums » General

Subject: Can someone please post less fiddly house-rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viper .
msg tools
I plan on playing this game this Friday with my gaming group of 6 people. I have heard the official rules (or even the revised official rules) are very fiddly.

Can someone here please post less fiddly house-rules? I would like our first experience with this game to be fun and not a complex multitasking headache.

Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggest you play a solo game first. The game is not fiddly nor complex IMO but it's always a good idea for one person to know game rules well before introducing to a group.

Edit: Damn auto-correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
Geoff wrote:
Suggest you play a solo game first. The game is not fiddly nor complex IMO but it's always a good idea for one person to know game rules well before introducing to a group.

Board Game Brawl's review discussed how the game has too many things going on and too many rules for those things. That sounds like fiddly to me.

I am a bit confused. What was the reviewer taking about then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
Geoff wrote:

Board Game Brawl's review discussed how the game has too many things going on and too many rules for those things. That sounds like fiddly to me.

I listened to his review. Honestly... it sounds more like he just didn't really like the game and really it seems like he made it more complicated then it needs to be.

Going to a location has it's own action and that's about it. I don't feel there is that much to keep track of, and the board actually lists in symbol form the action associated with each location. The most fiddly thing about this game is managing all the miniatures in my opinion.

Otherwise it's pretty straightforward. Takes a game or two to get it, but after that it's pretty simple. There's only about one thing I house rule as it's not explicit in the rulebook.

For every round, I clear the positions of all characters. Otherwise, it seems like you run into a problem where characters can't really do anything useful. Makes the game, maybe slightly easier, but I wouldn't say ridiculously so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
Geoff wrote:

To put it in perspective, as I recall his first "issue" with the game was the title. The title? After something as shallow as that, it's difficult to take the rest of the review very seriously.
The game isn't terribly fiddly. There are a few things to remember or reference but there are far more fiddly games out there.

If you care to throw out any mechanic, simply don't roll for the catapult breaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each area has a benefit, can't be in same area as someone else (except wall). The enemies have random spawns and a hit order. Make sure to have a blend of characters. Read what armory tavern and market offer. Be prepared to lose first games. Newest rules are decent snuff

Bgg really didn't like the game for rather strange reasons. The Dice rolling bothered him in addition to the above e which was the tom vassel opinion too. Everyone kind of jumped on the bandwagon bgb also disliked the idea of lava rock monsters whilst praising the orcs and then saying orcs were overdone

Play the game and mKeur own judgment. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the early reviews were based off the rulebook that shipped with the game. According to the designers, there was a very important set-up sentence missing (all heroes start with 3 divine grace tokens each). This made the game very difficult. This also made early reviews negative because of the difficulty.

The new rulebook fixes this and introduces difficulty variants. My suggestion for an easier game is use the easy variant.

The only thing I think is *fiddly* is the moving of the enemy monsters. But that's not rules *fiddly* if that makes sense.

I usually think fiddly is when you are told this is the rule UNLESS this happens than do this instead. Nothing like that here.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
Viper5121 wrote:
Geoff wrote:

To put it in perspective, as I recall his first "issue" with the game was the title. The title? After something as shallow as that, it's difficult to take the rest of the review very seriously.
The game isn't terribly fiddly. There are a few things to remember or reference but there are far more fiddly games out there.

If you care to throw out any mechanic, simply don't roll for the catapult breaking.

To tell the truth, it is one of the worst titles I have ever seen, and it shows the strange mindset of the game creators who seem to want to shoot themselves in the foot... you can't tell a friend "check out the game besieged" you have to add "but it is actually spelled..." I think the reviewer is doing the community a service by pointing out this nonsense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:

To tell the truth, it is one of the worst titles I have ever seen...

In your opinion.

borsook wrote:

you can't tell a friend "check out the game besieged" you have to add "but it is actually spelled..." I think the reviewer is doing the community a service by pointing out this nonsense.

Personally, I wish he'd stick to reviewing the game itself. He has also, in the past, reviewed a game he had admittedly not played. Just not a great source for reviews, in my opinion.

Also, do you seriously think that if you tell your friend to "check out besieged" that he wouldn't be able to find it in a game store that stocks it? That's a bit silly, don't you think. Be realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
If I Google "besieged board game," there are three immediate hits for this game. I wouldn't worry about the title; Google can easily tell besieged and b-sieged are related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
borsook wrote:

In your opinion.

Well... yes? that's why I used the word "I" and "I have ever seen"

borsook wrote:

you can't tell a friend "check out the game besieged" you have to add "but it is actually spelled..." I think the reviewer is doing the community a service by pointing out this nonsense.

VonMeister wrote:

Personally, I wish he'd stick to reviewing the game itself. He has also, in the past, reviewed a game he had admittedly not played. Just not a great source for reviews, in my opinion.

Also, do you seriously think that if you tell your friend to "check out besieged" that he wouldn't be able to find it in a game store that stocks it? That's a bit silly, don't you think. Be realistic.

Why are you defending this so much? What is the advantage of B-sieged over besieged? Other than being silly? A reviewer can critique all elements of the game including art, box, insert, terminology, rulebook and yes, the title too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
If I Google "besieged board game," there are three immediate hits for this game. I wouldn't worry about the title; Google can easily tell besieged and b-sieged are related.

Yes, google will, but not BGG, whose search engine requires precise wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
VonMeister wrote:
borsook wrote:

In your opinion.

Well... yes? that's why I used the word "I" and "I have ever seen"

borsook wrote:

VonMeister wrote:

Why are you defending this so much? What is the advantage of B-sieged over besieged? Other than being silly? A reviewer can critique all elements of the game including art, box, insert, terminology, rulebook and yes, the title too.

Trust me you are opening a can of worms with these people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:

You took issue with my comment - so I answered you. Simple as that.
Sorry that you feel I insulted your buddy.

A reviewer can critique whatever they want, sure, but if they start with a mini-rant on a title (that is no worse than any OTHER title out there) then I'm sorry - that's just reaching for reasons to be critical and wasting my time.
Guess I just can't get into that Millennial mindset of complaining about everything.

borsook wrote:
Yes, google will, but not BGG, whose search engine requires precise wording.

Still being silly. Unless it's your friend's first time on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.