Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New to game...eating up the variants...plus ideas... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello BoardGameGeek members and Firefly fans! First ever official post for the forums!

I obviously have the core game and played a couple rounds...2 players only so far, my significant other and myself of course and I can't get over at how "lost" we get into the game (this is a good thing). Since we're not overly competitive, the Story Cards often get pushed aside. "The Captain's Chair" story we played twice and when we realized technically the game was over (I won....by a close margin first go 'round...second...close again..)we decided to keep money and current crew and played "King of Londinium" . I was flush with credits and bought everything I could get my hands on, then did Niska jobs. In short, it was brutal. My girlfriend completed the first goal and decided to call the game after an adult beverage was spilled all over the Niska deck...so...anyway...moving along

I have received Breakin' Atmo and have been digesting alot of Variant house rules, geared more towards a campaign style of play (portions of 10% of Nuthin and NPS movement rules, and the random planet generator for the base game) P&BH will be arriving soon and BDH cards too, which I'll ease in eventually.

Thinking along "campaign" style (lite of course), buying variant ships, adding-subtracting credits (thinking of a small notebook [Captain's Log])

wishing I had the resources to create a custom leader card portraying ourselves in the 'Verse (I see someone has done it) and effectively buying multiple ships, hiring prospective Captains (Leaders) at a fixed rate, pay them as Crew (base pay say $500 plus or minus something). If the Captain gets disgruntled, well they take your ship you contracted them to fly. So here you are, a "Commodore" of sorts...maybe you're flying your own ship and Mal is flying the Serenity...but you're collecting the cash...just an idea...have to flesh that out...

One more idea....based upon an old movie...maybe "Firefly"-esque for the Variant/Custom card crew. 1996 Dennis Hopper starred in "Space Truckers". I'll leave it at that. Delivering loads/doing jobs reminds me of when I recently drove tractor-trailer all over...(minus space cowboys).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
your commadore idea is an interesting one, however having the captain stealing the ship after one disgruntled seems a bit too severe (sometimes disgruntling happens no matter how careful you are, especially with moral crew/captains). I'd say it would be a bit more balanced for it to take two disgruntleds for the captain to commandeer the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
your commadore idea is an interesting one, however having the captain stealing the ship after one disgruntled seems a bit too severe (sometimes disgruntling happens no matter how careful you are, especially with moral crew/captains). I'd say it would be a bit more balanced for it to take two disgruntleds for the captain to commandeer the ship.

I should've been more specific.....yeah 2 disgruntled tokens and a Moral captain dumps your ship at a Supply Planet, Immoral....well... probably pirates it (anticipating P&BH) ....You gotta get your property back somehow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
ArionElquest wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

I should've been more specific.....yeah 2 disgruntled tokens and a Moral captain dumps your ship at a Supply Planet, Immoral....well... probably pirates it (anticipating P&BH) ....You gotta get your property back somehow!

I like where you are headed with your idea. I would like to hear some more of your ideas.

I sent you a private chat giving some information and offering to design your custom leader cards for you. Let me know if you want to see some examples of my work

Most everyone on the forum is nice. So feel welcome here. All the variants can be a little overwhelming so take it one at a time. And enjoy the fantastic game of Firefly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
rackham9 wrote:
ArionElquest wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

I like where you are headed with your idea. I would like to hear some more of your ideas.

I sent you a private chat giving some information and offering to design your custom leader cards for you. Let me know if you want to see some examples of my work

Most everyone on the forum is nice. So feel welcome here. All the variants can be a little overwhelming so take it one at a time. And enjoy the fantastic game of Firefly.

Sent you a PM!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So the idea of a custom selfie Leader card that I was tossing around served as to make the game more immersive and personal, obviously. In a sense, I would leave a couple extra Leader to " contract" with, and the unwritten goal would be to get a small fleet of ships under your belt, either as a legit shipping company, or maybe a dread pirate fleet, who knows, sky's the limit!

Again, I dare someone to look up " Space Truckers"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of running multiple subordinate captains is interesting, and opens up a lot of new challenges. It will undoubtedly increase the game time so be ready for that.

I'd recommend that you keep each player at two actions per turn to speed things along, but allow them to duplicate actions as long as each ship only does the action once. For example, you could do two Fly actions in your turn, but you couldn't make the same ship do two Fly actions.

You could generate the ships pre game. Put all the unused ship cards out along with whatever upgrades they come with. For the ones without upgrades, select a deck, and draw cards until you hit the first upgrade and assign it to that ship. Gwek has a list of upgrades to assign to the base Fireflies to bring them in line with the expansions, and make each a little unique. Those are done, so a little quicker to prepare. What I described does the same but more random, and the potential exists to make some rather interesting possibilities. You could even assign two upgrades per ship.

Select some random way to assign ships to a location. Like point at a planet (probably a supply planet) and pull a ship mini out of a hat. You could roll dice to randomized the planets if you want. So now you have your used ship lots. You probably want to put the ships mini's for sale next to the supply deck so they don't clutter the board.

When you're ready to buy a ship, go to that planet. The price is the price of the ship plus the upgrades, even if you don't want the upgrade. You can dump it later, but you still have to pay for it.

Assign a captain to that ship from your crew, or hire one from the planet you're on. I'd recommend only using the Leaders for your main ship. The employee captains can get killed, hired away, or jump ship just like any other crew, and when they do a job, you pay them like any other crew (or not, with the same consequences).

You can transfer your Leader and/or any crew that work for you to any of your ships if they are in the same space, just like trading crew and gear with other players.

Heck, this could even be a story card. Gain a Goal token each time you buy a ship. Be the first player to reach planet x with 3 Goal tokens or get all your ships to planet x.

Oh, and for the inevitable piracy, if you kill the last crew on a ship, you can take that ship (along with whatever was in the hold - but any jobs are lost). Assign at least one crew to it and off you go. Obviously, your 'flagship' can't be taken, as your Leader can't be killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input Scarbuck!

Not to worried about overall game time, as sessions are random as it'll be a "campaign".... we'll keep ships, gear, credits in-between sessions.

My idea is that while one player is active, the other will MOVE the other "non player" ships, including Alliance and Reavers in a more aggressive action, other NPCs could be pirates, bounty hunters, or merchants. My plan is to have official ships and good possibility of custom ships in the mix.

"Unofficial" card expansions are definitely being looked at....

This is why I was thinking of custom "Flagship" Leaders. Using regular crew to Captain a ship is interesting...maybe a house rule that they must be a Pilot or maybe Soldier to do so...maybe increasing they're crew cut since they're an "acting Captain".

I'll continue to peruse the Variant and file forums to get some more ideas. Other members input so far has been great!

Just wanted to add, after some thought we nearly play "double solo" if you understand that....still learning the game, but pointing out to each other which would help/hinder our play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So I've been looking at other variants/house rules...starting small and working big so to speak....nothing quite nailed down....so what I'm looking for....

Campaign rules that are casual....good for solo play...but I play 2 player.

Custom expansions...."Local Color" comes to mind... definitely want another option for non-Supply Planets.

Custom Leaders/Ships: definitely a must...See my "Commodore Mode" thread.

Non-Player Ship A.I. or equivalent:. Looked at one in the file section so far. It's doable....need Blue Sun eventually

Trying not to reinvent the wheel here...keeping with the theme and very little bookkeeping...

I envision having multiple ships on the board, "Sky's gettin' awful crowded". Sort of an "I go You go" mechanic between the two of us. It's unlikely we'll go beyond 2 players...but there's a slight chance once in a while a third player may pop in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.