Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Williams
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey, as a game designer, can you describe what it's like when you suddenly realize that you're not the best at your game anymore?

For months and years the game lives in your head, gets put onto paper, gets shared and tested... but you're always the authority on it. You've played it and thought about it more than anyone else.

Until one day... maybe during testing, or maybe after release... someone else is better at playing your baby than you are! How dare they? It was just a fluke, let's play again. Ok, you got lucky, I was just messing around, let's play for real. Wait, you're actually better than me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fun question.

So, I should say first that I don't think I'm ever the best at my games, even during playtesting. I'm the type of gamer who likes to try various paths to victory, even if I see something obvious and easy--I want to try win differently. That's quite helpful during playtesting (just as it's helpful to have lots of playtesters with different motives and play styles), as it helps us see if there are different ways to win our games.

That said, I'm pretty good at Viticulture (I usually take it as a direct challenge when I see someone trying to win without making any wine) and my record with Scythe so far is solid. I like to win, but when people play my games (or any game, really), I just want everyone to have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a father, I imagine it's similar to how I'll feel when one of my daughters likes some other guy more than she likes me.

I really enjoy exploring different paths as well, and this definitely hurts my chances of winning with most efficiency-heavy games. I really like the way stars and popularity work in Scythe, because it at least *feels* like you have multiple good options for winning. I won my last game with two stars! (Unlike Terra Mystica often feels.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the Agricola world champion would mop the floor with Uwe Rosenberg, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I usually take it as a direct challenge when I see someone trying to win without making any wine
I take it as a direct challenge when someone tries to win without out drinking any wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I like to win, but when people play my games (or any game, really), I just want everyone to have a good time.

Very much my attitude. If I enjoy a session playing a game, regardless of who "won", if I enjoyed it I am a winner. If I "win", I like to know everyone else had fun for the win to really matter.

At the end of the day, I play games to have fun and that's far more important than who the rules say "won"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehrine wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
I like to win, but when people play my games (or any game, really), I just want everyone to have a good time.

Very much my attitude. If I enjoy a session playing a game, regardless of who "won", if I enjoyed it I am a winner. If I "win", I like to know everyone else had fun for the win to really matter.

At the end of the day, I play games to have fun and that's far more important than who the rules say "won"

Spoken like a true los.....errrr...I mean gentleman. Spoken like a true gentleman! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
This is a fun question.

So, I should say first that I don't think I'm ever the best at my games, even during playtesting. I'm the type of gamer who likes to try various paths to victory, even if I see something obvious and easy--I want to try win differently. That's quite helpful during playtesting (just as it's helpful to have lots of playtesters with different motives and play styles), as it helps us see if there are different ways to win our games.

That said, I'm pretty good at Viticulture (I usually take it as a direct challenge when I see someone trying to win without making any wine)

Don't think either me or my husband have done that. Though I think we've had alternate uses for our wine a few times now; If you can get the Penthouse out and have the means of getting a Level 7 Sparkling wine made each year it's just so much more reliable than fulfilling wine orders, for an obvious example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
intently wrote:
As a father, I imagine it's similar to how I'll feel when one of my daughters likes some other guy more than she likes memakes more money at her job than me.
(is a less demeaning way to put it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
I usually take it as a direct challenge when I see someone trying to win without making any wine
I take it as a direct challenge when someone tries to win without out drinking any wine.

Were you drinking when you wrote that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.