$5.00
$30.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Citadels (2016 edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Separate listing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Brighton
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious as to why this is a separate listing from the original game. I can see, from the description, that there are some new cards and initial setups but what else makes this so different as to warrant the distinction?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebri wrote:
Just curious as to why this is a separate listing from the original game. I can see, from the description, that there are some new cards and initial setups but what else makes this so different as to warrant the distinction?


New cards and new art. This is common with many games, like Agricola, Hanabi Deluxe, Anniversary Editions, San Juan 2nd, St Petersburg 2nd ed, etc.

The game is similar but its definitely very different in many respects. This will help players who are looking for info for a specific edition, since there are minute rule changes and such too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tieske
Netherlands
Abcoude
flag msg tools
From faidutti.com

"I had never been completely satisfied with all the new characters from The Dark City expansion. They were more complex than the original set, not always as fun to play, and some of them brought a little too much gold into the game. This is why some of them have been slightly modified, and the Tax Collector even changed its rank number. We have also added nine brand new characters, half of them being derived from Robin Corrèze’s suggestions. These are the Magistrate, Blackmailer, Spy, Seer, Patrician, Cardinal, Trader, Scholar, and Marshal. The unique purple districts also have been carefully reconsidered. the least popular ones are gone, a few have had their effects modified, and a dozen new ones, like the Necropolis, the Statue, and the Basilica enter the city. Be careful when the Theater is in play, as you will be playing both Citadels and Mascarade at the same time.

Citadels is now almost twenty years old. The tastes of gamers have changed over the years, and most games are now shorter and more fast-paced. This is why a game of Citadels is now played until someone has seven districts and not eight, and it’s also why several of the new card effects allow players to build more than one district per turn. Without changing any of the core rules, we’ve made the Citadels game experience more fun and more dynamic—but just as ruthless as ever"
7 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Urawuzz wrote:
From faidutti.com

"I had never been completely satisfied with all the new characters from The Dark City expansion. They were more complex than the original set, not always as fun to play, and some of them brought a little too much gold into the game. This is why some of them have been slightly modified, and the Tax Collector even changed its rank number. We have also added nine brand new characters, half of them being derived from Robin Corrèze’s suggestions. These are the Magistrate, Blackmailer, Spy, Seer, Patrician, Cardinal, Trader, Scholar, and Marshal. The unique purple districts also have been carefully reconsidered. the least popular ones are gone, a few have had their effects modified, and a dozen new ones, like the Necropolis, the Statue, and the Basilica enter the city. Be careful when the Theater is in play, as you will be playing both Citadels and Mascarade at the same time.

Citadels is now almost twenty years old. The tastes of gamers have changed over the years, and most games are now shorter and more fast-paced. This is why a game of Citadels is now played until someone has seven districts and not eight, and it’s also why several of the new card effects allow players to build more than one district per turn. Without changing any of the core rules, we’ve made the Citadels game experience more fun and more dynamic—but just as ruthless as ever"


More than enough to justify the new entry
...I'm quite pleased with Faidutti's decision - of course it has also something to do with the concept of "getting more money", but I agree with him, Dark City's characters were disappointing. I still play Citadels sometimes, but we ALWAYS stick with the original characters. And some purple cards are useless, yes.
I suppose it's time to sell the old version cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kastberg Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm anyone know if there will be a upgrade version?

For those of us that already have Citadels
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parlik wrote:
Hmm anyone know if there will be a upgrade version?

For those of us that already have Citadels


What would be in that? Or really what would be excluded?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I play with all the star purple cards instead of the other purple cards. We play with the original roles except for assassin we use witch to reduce screwage for that one unlucky player every game (unless we play 9 or 10 players, then the assassin helps not run out of coin).

Upgrade version? The asmodee pics look like they redid all the artwork and renamed some of the roles. The whole game has been redone. I'll still use my own crown I got from a blacksmith (it's about 2 inches wide, 1 inch tall).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parlik wrote:
Hmm anyone know if there will be a upgrade version?

For those of us that already have Citadels

Not as far as I know. They couldn't use the original art, the role cards are larger and a number of cards have been changed slightly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The separate listing seems inconsistent since there aren't separate listings for the original Citadels & the versions including the dark city.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
zabdiel wrote:
The separate listing seems inconsistent since there aren't separate listings for the original Citadels & the versions including the dark city.

Maybe because it has been sold with Dark City included in the same box for years. There really isn't an 'expansion box' to buy separately.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
The separate listing seems inconsistent since there aren't separate listings for the original Citadels & the versions including the dark city.

Maybe because it has been sold with Dark City included in the same box for years. There really isn't an 'expansion box' to buy separately.


There's another very good reason to keep separate listings. Asmodee will keep selling the "original" (reprinted, repackaged and repriced) Citadels version under the name "Citadels Classic", WITHOUT Dark City cards and with all original rules, graphics and texts. They're definitely two separate games belonging to the same "family" or "product line", as Asmodee calls it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
#nodapl
mbmbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
toober wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
The separate listing seems inconsistent since there aren't separate listings for the original Citadels & the versions including the dark city.

Maybe because it has been sold with Dark City included in the same box for years. There really isn't an 'expansion box' to buy separately.


There's another very good reason to keep separate listings. Asmodee will keep selling the "original" (reprinted, repackaged and repriced) Citadels version under the name "Citadels Classic", WITHOUT Dark City cards and with all original rules, graphics and texts. They're definitely two separate games belonging to the same "family" or "product line", as Asmodee calls it.


So, they are going backwards with the original version?
Dropping out the few extra cards expansion?
"Classic" is already in my version w/Dark City, just with a little more variety.

The worst game we played with the expansion characters was the one in which we used only them. Other than that is just adds more spice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobobob598 wrote:

So, they are going backwards with the original version?
Dropping out the few extra cards expansion?
"Classic" is already in my version w/Dark City, just with a little more variety.

The worst game we played with the expansion characters was the one in which we used only them. Other than that is just adds more spice.


The "Classic" Edition is clearly intended for NEW players, not for people already owning the Citadels+Dark City edition. Their idea is to provide two different versions of the game (considering that Citadels was out of print...), the "Classic" is pocket-size, portable and VERY affordable (SRP $12,99!), while the new revised version (simply named "Citadels") offers new extended content, tarot-size cards with new graphics and revised rules for SRP $29,99.
Check out Asmodee's site for more info... Anyway, I like their idea and will definitely buy the new "edition".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
#nodapl
mbmbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
Bobobob598 wrote:

So, they are going backwards with the original version?
Dropping out the few extra cards expansion?
"Classic" is already in my version w/Dark City, just with a little more variety.

The worst game we played with the expansion characters was the one in which we used only them. Other than that is just adds more spice.


The "Classic" Edition is clearly intended for NEW players, not for people already owning the Citadels+Dark City edition. Their idea is to provide two different versions of the game (considering that Citadels was out of print...), the "Classic" is pocket-size, portable and VERY affordable (SRP $12,99!), while the new revised version (simply named "Citadels") offers new extended content, tarot-size cards with new graphics and revised rules for SRP $29,99.
Check out Asmodee's site for more info... Anyway, I like their idea and will definitely buy the new "edition".


blah blah. I just like to complain. Sorry.
I do like that they added more varied gender roles to a great game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.