Popular Tags: [View All]
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
So today the Texas legislator enacted a new "Campus Carry" law, on the 50th anniversary of the Texas Tower massacre.

Really?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Well, they are Texans after all....

It is crazy, and the timing of it could not be worse, especially at UT-Austin. Interesting to note that private colleges and universities are allowed to voluntarily opt out or opt in to this. Only one small private college is going along with the state colleges. To be fair, Texas has fairly stringent regulations on CCW licenses -- not stringent enough in my view, but better than other states. I pray for my cousins to the south, especially my two brothers who live in Dallas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Everyone should be able to carry a gun on their person and defend themselves.

Yes, defend themselves from other people who are carrying guns! This is brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Really?

Yes really. Appalachian law school vs VA tech. this law seems like a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

No. They enacted the law last year. The first of a month seems like a reasonable time for new laws to take effect.

That said the law is still a clusterfuck with its random exclusions. If you can't carry everywhere you would reasonably need to go, you can't carry at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
And Texas A&M will be allowing guns in dorms. I went to A&M and that seems about right. Sure, illegal drinking and guns. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, my state has gone SEVEN ZERO days without being a national embarrassment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:

No. They enacted the law last year. The first of a month seems like a reasonable time for new laws to take effect.

So a law they passed in 2015, they decided would go into effect August 1st, 2016 that would affect public Texas Universities.

So no little lights in their dim little heads said, huh, that date sounds familiar.

You're right, totally reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Try living in Missouri

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Try living in Missouri

Neither have anything on Indiana or Florida or Alabama.

Texas is bad, but I'm still lucky in a lot of respects. Plus it'll be a purple state in 20 years or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Not "only in Texas" though, somewhere around 6 other states have laws which allow concealed carry on a college campus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Not "only in Texas" though, somewhere around 6 other states have laws which allow concealed carry on a college campus.

Were there infamous mass shootings memorialized on this day in those 6 others states the same day the law went into effect?

No? Must be just Texas.

Some of you guys aren't really "getting" it, are ya?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

So a law they passed in 2015, they decided would go into effect August 1st, 2016 that would affect public Texas Universities.

So no little lights in their dim little heads said, huh, that date sounds familiar.

You're right, totally reasonable.

Yeah, it really does seem totally reasonable. It was fifty years ago. I'm sure the majority of state lawmakers weren't even born yet or were small children. Now I'm not Texan some maybe that one date has some sort of major significance there but that seems unlikely to me. I don't remember the exact date of Sandy Hook, and I live in Connecticut. Most people don't remember the exact dates of many, many historical events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:

Yeah, it really does seem totally reasonable. It was fifty years ago. I'm sure the majority of state lawmakers weren't even born yet or were small children. Now I'm not Texan some maybe that one date has some sort of major significance there but that seems unlikely to me. I don't remember the exact date of Sandy Hook, and I live in Connecticut. Most people don't remember the exact dates of many, many historical events.

BTW, every Texan knows this, like they know the Texas pledge of allegiance, and the day the Alamo fell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets just see how it goes down shall we.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
sfox wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Were there infamous mass shootings memorialized on this day in those 6 others states the same day the law went into effect?

No? Must be just Texas.

Some of you guys aren't really "getting" it, are ya?

Chapel, I would _guess_ that the day was chosen as it was a series of civilian shooters shooting back at Whitman that prevented him from killing more. Maybe that's what they're noting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.