8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games providing a sense of continuity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerard Sweeney
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
One of my gaming friends is getting a bit jaded at playing games where the game state is reset for the next game - i.e. most games! He doesn't get much satisfaction from the metagame of a group of players improving incrementally over time, and while he gets some pleasure from solving the problem each time it all feels a bit pointless because it's reset at the end.

Pandemic Legacy, and soon Seafall, are reasonable solutions to this, but I'm looking for ideas for other games that might somehow satisfy the same desires. I think really he'd probably be satisfied by a long DnD campaign but that's not something that's likely at the moment for practical reasons.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Campaign, but not too long. Coop. Worth checking out, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy, like you mentioned would offer this and give you 12 to 24 plays before finishing.

T.I.M.E Stories offers a similar idea.

Near and Far is on kickstarter right now and things from one game affect the next games.

You could also do something like Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients where you have character that builds in XP and gear as you play each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
A campaign in Arcadia Quest gives you 6 games of knock around fighting and character progression, each lasting an hour plus change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadowrun: Crossfire may be a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
An Star Wars: Imperial Assault campaign takes 11-14 missions, 1-3 hours each, from two to preferably 5 players in a setting with 1 imperial player and 4 rebel hero characters (thus preferably one player per hero character).

Both sides gain experience and new skills and items throughout the campaign. The core box is enough to play 2-3 campaigns easily due to various factors I won't list here (I'll link you to them if you want).

You'll get plenty of help in the IA forums if you can't figure out something from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set? Not super deep but you do develop your character and the game progresses through different adventures to the end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Try games like The Republic of Rome or Empires of the Middle Ages or an RPG that are quite long so that it continues over multiple sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.