Subject: Verdict at Nuremberg I – J143 Circle of Doom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wu Wei
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb

Verdict at Nuremberg I – J143 Circle of Doom

This is part I of the mini-campaign Verdict at Nuremberg. You get campaign victory points for winning each scenario and bonus points for controlling certain buildings. Also, there is a Force pool where you can choose from different units each scenario, but each choice limits your options in the following scenarios. I'm familiar with the area around Nuremberg, so this mini-campaign caught my interest.

Nuremberg, Germany, 16 April 1945. I play the German defenders, the Americans win if they control all the AA guns without suffering 40 CVPs.
Looking at the map, I'm not quite sure what the real life equivalent of the stream is supposed to be. The rivers Regnitz or Pegnitz are the most likely candidates. No matter what, I decide to use the stream (I decide it is the Regnitz) as a natural barrier and set my two big 8.8 AA guns behind it and cover the bridges. A big stack of dummies is supposed to discourage the American to take the shortest way. From my scenario choices, I take the HMG and LMG with the weaker leader instead of the MMG and PSK. My infantry will have to rely on panzerfausts and ATMMs to take out the American tanks. From the campaign Force Pool, I take the Panther – mostly because I will have the most fun playing it. Also, it gives me the greatest flexibility to react to the American approach.
I place the 37LL gun in a secluded corner of the map – my opponent will need time to get there, and I hope I can inflict casualties with bore-sighted point blank IFE fire.

American Turn 1:

The Americans approach very carefully in the East (down on the map). As hoped, they fear my big dummy stack and keep their distance. I drop concealment of one of my 8.8s, but miss a Chaffee.
In the West, the approach is a little bit more reckless. I can fire on the open-topped M8 from above, but even despite point-blank fire (8 neg nothing, dropping hand grenades from above), have no effect. In return, the only result the Americans can achieve is a PIN in AFPh.

German Turn 1:

I mostly skulk with my infantry and move my new tanks into position. In the AFPh, my Panther gets its first kill: it hits the M8 in the back.

American Turn 2:

The Americans don't prep fire and just start moving. I destroy a jeep with small arms fire in the East. A Chaffee tries to slip into the back of the Jagdpanzer, but I get it with my second 8.8. A second Chaffee drives right in front of the muzzle of the other 8.8: I get that one, too.
In the AFPh, I lose my dummy stack in the West to the American kill stack, and we stop playing for the evening.

Score:
Germans: 21 CVPs
Americans: 0 CVPs

My opponent plays very careful so far. Myself, I probably would have used a few half squads to bump into the ?s to reveal what is under them. In the West, I wouldn't let a single squad in an upper level building slow me down that much, either. The M8 with it's 37LL isn't very effective against infantry, I would have tried to use it's speed to get behind the Jagdpanzer or even behind the Panther.

Since my position is good at the moment, I think this is the point where I should get reckless. My plan for the next session:
Drive my Panther out of the depression to O2 and kill the M8. Move the Jagdpanzer to where the Panther is now and use it to block the whole Western approach. Secure the back of the Jagdpanzer with infantry and hope for the best.
I will remain purely defensive on board 22, but my position feels rock solid there.
My prediction: I will easily win this, and even get the two bonus points for controlling 24M4 and 22R4. I might lose 24M4, since there is a lot of enemy infantry in the area.

So, the next session:

German turn 2:

In the PFPh, one of my 8.8s kill the American M4A3. I move as I planned, there is a little bit of shooting, but no one gets hurt.

Germans: 28 CVPs
Americans: 0 CVPs

American turn 3:

In the PFPh, the American halftrack in 22H1 rolls snakeeyes and finally eliminate my dummy kill stack in 22J2. My opponent was mighty confused by the fact that this was only a stack of “?”s. That's all the prep fire there is.
In the MPh, one of the M4A3s in 24W10 drives behind the PzIV I placed as bait in 24S10. Unfortunately, my 8.8 in 22V8 misses its shot and don't get ROF, but I hit with intensive fire!
The second M4A3 takes the same path, but this time, the PzIV turns its turret and get a lucky hit that kills that one, too.
At this time, I had exceeded the 40 CVP I needed, but we continued to play for the Campaign Game Bonus Victory Points (or was it Campaign Game Victory Bonus Points?).
During the remainder of the MPh, my other 8.8 gets a squad and a leader, the Panther kills the last M8, I break a half squad and a passenger squad on a halftrack.
We get our first CC in 24U4, but is indecisive.

German turn 3:

I shoot a little bit and slightly adjust my defensive positions. The melee in 24U4 continues.

At the start of his 4th turn, my opponent forfeited the game.

So, this was an overwhelming victory. The worst I suffered during the whole game was a single PIN result. I want to play this scenario again as the Americans; but first, we will continue with the campaign game.

What went wrong for my opponent – apart from my incredible hit ratio with my guns – probably was the fact that he didn't use the terrain to his advantage. He kept driving in front of my guns, and suffered from it. And the few times he tried to use smoke, the dice were against him. He also fell for my bluff with the big dummy stack at the Eastern bridge – but against 1945 Germans with their abundance of panzerfausts, every “?” is intimidating if you drive around in AFVs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Super AAR, many thanks.

I'm tempted to give this CG a try as the Americans, as it seems like a challenge. I think the general consensus is that late war Americans are not straightforward to play - smoke (inf and AFV) is essential, as is using the mobility of US Army light armour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Weiley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From looking at the map images, the main mistake your opponent seems to have made was not to focus his attack and mass his forces to overwhelm part of the German line, take one victory building and then roll up the defence and take the second. It's not possible to discern any specific schwerpunkt to the attack in any of those images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan H.
Germany
Dresden
Sachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The buildings are not the "real" VC. The guns are. The Americans have to eliminate all of them in order to win (worth 3 points in the campaign game). The two VC buildings only give one additional campaign game point to whoever controls them at game end.

So in order to have a chance of getting all the spread-out guns, I had to spread out my troops, too. It helps that the US force in this scenario is rather large. Of course, that doesn't help when your opponent turns everything you have into scrap metal the minute it gets into attack positions.

Also, my initial plan was to focus on the bridge at the bottom. I spread out when it became clear that I was not going to get a quick breakthrough there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Weiley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan, thanks for the clarification. Looking at the map images the bridge at the bottom appeared to me as the best avenue. So I think I would have stuck with your original plan. At least you could have got some positive use out of those burning wrecks if they were masking the bridge exit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this mini-CG solo twice and each time was a blast.

The Americans need to use a LOT of Smoke and his vehicle mobility to close with the Germans and dig them out in all 3 scenarios.

Highlight of this CG for me was the scenario Golden Pheasants featuring the German Gauleiter (whom acts as a Commissar) directing the fire of a German HMG/Crew from a 2nd Level Stone building--took the Americans getting an entire platoon into CC with them and killing them to secure US victory (the entire platoon consisting of three 6FP squads,two Leaders,and a Hero.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wu Wei
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
drakester wrote:
The Americans need to use a LOT of Smoke and his vehicle mobility to close with the Germans and dig them out in all 3 scenarios.

The Germans might have a better chance to win, but playing as the Americans is more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan H.
Germany
Dresden
Sachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakester wrote:
I have played this mini-CG solo twice and each time was a blast.

I will say this campaign is very nicely designed, even though I completely fail to "grok it". Can't say anything about the balance, as any scenario designed by Mr Shelling seems to be biased against me personally, no matter what side I am playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.