GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,302 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Galaxy Trucker» Forums » Variants

Subject: 'Shift Change' - team rules for > 4 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, as you already know, people
badge
Everything happens so much
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a team variant that I accidentally came up with by skimming and mis-reading the actual team rules in the manual, and by mentally filling in the blanks incorrectly. Surprisingly, it works quite well!

---

Form teams of 1 or more players and choose a ship. This is your ship for the duration of the game. Building starts with one player doing all of the building / mission card reading, etc. While one person is building, the other players may act as 'spotters', and may help the player make decisions, etc. but cannot contribute to the building themselves.

Every time the timer is flipped, the builder's shift ends and the next player on the team starts building (Bonus points: Designate a "builder's chair" and establish that you have to be sitting in this chair before you start building). Do this even when the final timer gets flipped (Corporation Incorporated cares not for paying overtime), and start with the next player at the beginning of a new round.

During the race phase, all decisions are democratic in nature, with no single 'driving' player.

---

For ages I thought these rules were printed in the rulebook, then I was surprised to find they weren't, and the actual team variant was way different. But yeah, these rules seem to work pretty well if you've got 4+ players and don't want to haul out the hokey 5 player rules. It also makes the game a lot easier to teach if you've got a number of people to absorb all the rules and what does what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love some of the ideas here, it makes me wonder if you could do a coop variant racing against a pre-printed ship that has specific action choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.