BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Solo Lovecraftian Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting Cthulhu Wars (which is awesome) I've decided I would like a Lovecraftian game that I could play solo as well.

What do you guys think is the best one for solo play?
I'm primarily considering:
-Elder Sign
-Eldritch Horror

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror by far. Captures the theme brilliantly, plays extremely well solo without losing the narrative and has so many expansions that allow it never to become boring. Plus it's challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too early to say if its best or not but Mansions of Madness 2nd edition is about to be released and now is playable solo.

edit - forgot to add, Eldritch Horror is one of my favorite solo games to play (lovecraft or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one I have is The Cards of Cthulhu

I enjoy it and there's also an expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
After getting Cthulhu Wars (which is awesome) I've decided I would like a Lovecraftian game that I could play solo as well.

-Elder Sign
-Eldritch Horror

I think you misspelled Arkham Horror

Joking aside, many people seem to prefer Eldrich over Arkham. But some of us still like Arkham better. Both sides are very passionate about their preference but you should take a look at both and see which one speaks to you more. They're both amazing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Eldritch Horror
2. Elder Signs (with Streets of Arkham)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
mhalowel wrote:

-Elder Sign
-Eldritch Horror

I think you misspelled Arkham Horror

Joking aside, many people seem to prefer Eldrich over Arkham. But some of us still like Arkham better. Both sides are very passionate about their preference but you should take a look at both and see which one speaks to you more. They're both amazing games.

Haha I will take a look at Arkham! I haven't given it a lot of thought due to most people's preference for Eldritch, but I should at least look into it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Elder Sign with the Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham expansion for solo play.

If you're looking for a bite-sized taste of solo Yog-Sothothery, I also recommend Dice of Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
1. Eldritch Horror
2. Elder Signs (with Streets of Arkham)

Do you play both? Or do you feel like you would be content with just one of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best one will be the Arkham Horror LCG!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
The best one will be the Arkham Horror LCG!

Bye
Thanee

That sounds cool! I hadn't heard that they had a game like that in the works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am expecting it to be announced at GenCon, but it's a bit speculation at this point due to a leaked picture.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I am expecting it to be announced at GenCon, but it's a bit speculation at this point due to a leaked picture.
Yeah, and I'm expecting it to be a hoax. That box image doesn't even use the correct font...

My favorites in order:
1. Arkham Horror
2. Eldritch Horror
3. Elder Sign with Gates of Arkham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Yeah, and I'm expecting it to be a hoax. That box image doesn't even use the correct font...

That would be a shame, since it would be such a good idea!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm leaning more towards Eldritch, but will certainly take a look at Arkham too.

And I hope the rumors are true about the Arkham Horror LCG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have both Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror, and if the theme is what you really enjoy, I highly recommend Eldritch Horror. Elder Sign is more accessible and easier to get to the table since you can finish in under 2 hours, but the mechanics don't feel thematic at all. Each turn you just roll dice and match abstract symbols. The encounter flavor text is vague, monsters feel more like an inconvenience than actually dangerous, and most of the items/spells/artifacts/allies have no text at all and simply give you an extra die to roll when used. I also think it lasts a little too long for a yahtzee-style dice game.

It's made better with the expansions, but still not as immersive as Eldritch is, right out of the box.

A little surprised no one has yet suggested Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. It's due out this week and has a companion app that replaces the need for a monster player.

Edit: Oh wait, someone did ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Elder Sign mobile app is really good. Get that then Eldritch Horror.

Like others have said, the Gates of Arkham expansion is a worthwhile upgrade if you decide to go with ES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Mansion of madness 2nd edition looks good. Also FFG just announced arkham horror lcg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the rumors were true!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/arkham-horror-lcg-showc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Daniel
United States
White Bluff
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Another solo Lovecraft game not mentioned here is Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu. The original game's gameplay interested me and I like the look of Leacock's Forbidden Island and Desert but the medical theme stopped me. With this one coming out at Gen Con I'm considering getting it.

There's Ancient Terrible Things which isn't solo for the base game but is with its expansion The Lost Charter. Probably more than you're willing to spend simply for a solo Lovecraft game but the river/jungle setting interests me. The solo mode may not be the best or worthwhile either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
Yeah the rumors were true!
Incredibly, yes, the rumors were true after all.

My first impression is that it's a hybrid between the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (which I dislike rather strongly) and the LotR LCG (which I also dislike at this point). Having said that, it could still actually be great _if_ they do it right:
They need to avoid the repetitive and boring treadmill that PACG boils down to (this should be rather easy for FFG given their experience with LotR) and they need to avoid the power-creep and tone down the importance of deck-building caused me to stop buying LotR (this will be trickier, but the smaller 30 card decks and the ability advancement / campaign model might achieve just that).

So, I'm cautiously excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Arkham Horror. Well worth the time investment to learn, hard to win (at least for me), having played maybe five games solo so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.