Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know FFG will make expansions. When do they usually start to come out after a game is released.
Do you think they will do tiles and monsters first or digital scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything anyone says will be a guess. There is absolutely no way anyone can know the answer to this question without at least hearing a little more about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know. I was just curious the average time for FFG to do expansions.
I know it's been 8 months for runebound.
I hope it's sooner than later since I don't have 1e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully a lot quicker than a bunch of their other board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Anything anyone says will be a guess. There is absolutely no way anyone can know the answer to this question without at least hearing a little more about the game.

Jesus, man, you just bluster into threads like the Kool Aid guy, say something that misses the mark and then disappear. It's really annoying.

The OP literally said
OP literally sayin' wrote:

When do they usually start to come out after a game is released?

Which is a question that can be answered.

If I didn't know any better I'd just assume you read the subject line and let your mind run on autopilot after the fact. The OP is obviously just excited and wants to curate a discussion about what the future might hold. No harm in that, and derailing the discussion with a negative opening post is just rude.

HoneyBunnie8
, I've actually been a touch surprised at how long it has taken FFG to get the expansion trail rolling with some of their similarly weighted content. For example, Runebound 3E's first expansions are *just* hitting stores this week. I believe the title came out about 8~9 months back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Alright, I am totally talking out of my rear here, but since everyone else that tries to answer would be as well...

Given FFG releases on some higher profile games (wave 1 right on the heals of main boxes) and what is in the box, I would not at all be surprised to see see some sort of expansion or expansions released between here and Christmas. Probably November. The packaging is anybody's guess, but I would expect bits of or all of first edition miniatures and tiles already to be in production packaged for 2e players rather than a reprint for 1e. It would be quick as design is a non-issue, helps put the included conversion kit to use, and gives 2e players more of a content dribble to keep the hype going.

Maybe they will go a big miniatures box with tiles? Maybe they will go with a few miniatures, tiles, and some minor new content strategically shuffled like the Heroes and Monsters packs for Descent? Who knows. But my money is on something like that next and not too far off.

As to the application, I would also expect some digital content released between here and Christmas to boost 2e sales and give players a reason to start talking in earnest again when initial hype dies down. The only real question here is if it will be paid content or if it will be intended to sell the above hypothesized expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could follow the eldritch horror model with a small and big expansion each year? (or is EH even more than that?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW a FLGS owner told me an expansion for the new 2nd edition is coming next week or so. Again, FWIW... maybe something maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
FWIW a FLGS owner told me an expansion for the new 2nd edition is coming next week or so. Again, FWIW... maybe something maybe not.

What is going on with all the rush surronding the publishing of this game?

Not complaining. Just surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
chaplin717 wrote:
Alright, I am totally talking out of my rear here, but since everyone else that tries to answer would be as well...

Given FFG releases on some higher profile games (wave 1 right on the heals of main boxes) and what is in the box, I would not at all be surprised to see see some sort of expansion or expansions released between here and Christmas. Probably November. The packaging is anybody's guess, but I would expect bits of or all of first edition miniatures and tiles already to be in production packaged for 2e players rather than a reprint for 1e. It would be quick as design is a non-issue, helps put the included conversion kit to use, and gives 2e players more of a content dribble to keep the hype going.

I imagine they'll prioritise stuff that everyone will want, rather than reprinting 1E stuff. I'd expect a downloadable scenario in the next few months (possibly free, or a few dollars) followed by a small box expansion with 2-3 new scenarios and minis/tiles towards the end of the year.

Then late this year / early next year we'll see a relaunch of the Arkham minis line, this time unpainted, with new sculpts. I don't think the tiles from 1E will ever get reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps they are trying a new marketing plan?
Give the consumer something they want with a few weeks to hype it up then release it. Instead of letting the hype die down before it gets released like a lot of games. I know I forget which games I'm excited about in the months it takes for it to get released sometimes. Or something else comes out I'm more excited about I want to spend my money on.
I expect it also facilitates more impulse buys because people know they will get it soon. I know I did.

Hopefully they are planning to take advantage of holiday spending and release an expansion before Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

HoneyBunnie8[/b], I've actually been a touch surprised at how long it has taken FFG to get the expansion trail rolling with some of their similarly weighted content. For example, Runebound 3E's first expansions are *just* hitting stores this week. I believe the title came out about 8~9 months back.

I have been surprised if took them so long for Runebound too. I have been waiting for more scenarios.

Really I just thought discussing what they might do in the future would be more exciting then explaining you need app to play. Or argue if apps in boardgames are the devil. Or explaining you can't play 1e with the app without buying 2e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Carr
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that I really like the strategy where they keep a game under wraps for a long time, announce it in grand style, then state that it will be available very soon (within a month.) I totally agree that the hype dies down for games as months trickle by, notoriously so for lots of Kickstarter games I've backed. When I receive them I'm usually just like "Oh, that's cool that it has finally arrived." Prime example is Manhattan Project: Chain Reaction. I thought it looked really neat when I backed it but when I received it last week it really wasn't all that exciting since my interests were totally on other things now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets not forget, they said the were not gonna announce any games for awhile because of merger stuff. Thus the long break without any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
chaplin717 wrote:

Given FFG releases on some higher profile games (wave 1 right on the heals of main boxes) and what is in the box, I would not at all be surprised to see see some sort of expansion or expansions released between here and Christmas. Probably November.

Let's just put a date on it. November 16th. That's when the first expansion is coming out. You heard it here first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Wir Gehen Nach Kansas!"
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
They could follow the eldritch horror model with a small and big expansion each year? (or is EH even more than that?)

I like the EH model - kinda predictable so that you have something to look forward to and speculate about twice a year.

If FFG uses the same model they used to announce 2E, we will NEVER know when an expansion is coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
If FFG uses the same model they used to announce 2E, we will NEVER know when an expansion is coming!

At the speed this game is evolving, it might even be on our tables before we even know its coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:

Next week?? Are you sure he wasn't just thinking that 2nd Ed is an expansion for 1st Ed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
I do remember that the Eldritch Horror had its first expansion announced very soon (two and a half month after EH release).
Considering that most monsters in the core box are Deep Ones (not a very universal monster in terms of theme) some variety would be welcome as not every one has 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bring it on then. My purse is ready and willing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Thinking about it, they're nearly done with reprinting all the existing Descent monsters and heroes. I can see them moving that manufacturing and development bandwidth to making a similar product for the Arkham games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am certain they will release all the old heroes and monsters in packs but it's the tiles I am more worried about. I am not certain as to whether they will ever rerelease those and that's a (probably bigger than it ought to be) issue for the completitist in me and holding me off from preordering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeneades wrote:
I am certain they will release all the old heroes and monsters in packs but it's the tiles I am more worried about. I am not certain as to whether they will ever rerelease those and that's a (probably bigger than it ought to be) issue for the completitist in me and holding me off from preordering.

Well, if they bothered in creating an app able to handle 1st edition tiles, it'd be nonsensical letting 1st edition go out of print and never reprint those tiles, me think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can imagine an Investigator pack which has some old Investigator figures, monsters and a few room tiles. Wouldn't even need to print the character cards since they are already in the 2e box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Hopefully a lot quicker than a bunch of their other board games.

... and slower than some of the others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.