GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2-6 Player Civ/Building Type Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The void that needs filling most in my collection is some sort of game where you build stuff. People like building stuff. A city, an empire.. Something cool like that. I don't like games where you have to do something random like build a pyramid or a car dealership or some nonsense. I want a nice game of building cool stuff. I'd like it to not be a game that non-gaming girlfriends can get involved with, something with some interaction would be cool, certainly some room for strategy but without being too brutal or destructive. A game where we can all just have a nice time building shizzle.. Oh and something with good, modern graphic design. So not Castles of Burgundy, which I'm sure is a good game but I think my friends and I being brainwashed Western sheeple need something more eye catching to keep our attentions focused and minimize dribbling. Variable player counts would be cool, playing with 2p would be a nice bonus for me and the gf, but she's happy to play heavier, more aggressive games so not essential, being able to play 5-6 would be ideal.

I've never played any of the following games, but at a glance they all seem to roughly fit the bill:

Ginkgopolis Quadropolis Machi Koro 7 Wonders (I don't like 7Wuel)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because of the number of players, I would offer up Between 2 Cities.

Very nice design.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only plays to 4 players, but Castles of Mad King Ludwig may work for you. The whole point of the game is to build crazy castles. And with the rotating "master builder" mechanic where a different player sets the prices -- and gets paid for -- the available castle tiles each turn, it's nicely interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike II -- no real city building, but it is about civ/empire building (with tech advancements), meets your player requirements, and has some conflict w/o being overly destructive (you can win without fighting your neighbors). The mechanics are simple enough that first time players readily pick them up.

The best city building game I know is Big City, but it only plays 2-5, and because it's been OOP for well over a decade, even second-hand copies may be more than you're willing to spend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few I would highly recommend:

7 Wonders: As you mentioned 7 wonders hits the player count and civ building. Although the building is a bit abstracted (no map or population to worry about and war is just with your neighbors). This is a great game and it plays quickly.

Keyflower: This is probably my favorite that plays up to 6 players. A combination of Auction, Tile Placement and resource gathering it makes for a fantastic game. Instead of having the traditional "ages" concept it has seasons. I've played it with newer gamers but it is longer and more complicated than 7 wonders.

Between two cities: As mentioned above B2C is a drafting game like 7 wonders with a more simple scoring system. The added bonus is that you are working with your neighbors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
A problem with Quadropolis is that it only plays up to 4 players.

7 Wonders is surely worth a go because plays from 3 to 7 players well (and it has that glitzy look you're after) although I don't like the 2 player variant.

I hesitantly mention Historia only because it is a civilisation building game up to 6 players but I'm not really sure whether it will give you enough of a sense of building nor whether the graphic design will be catchy enough for you...

+1 for Keyflower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks y'all!

Historia: I actually like the graphic design. The design doesn't need to be vibrant, but it just has to be well done and modern. My geekbuddy analysis isn't favourable but I'll research it.

Quadropolis: Looks a bit "meh" and kinda abstract and not enough players

7 Wonders / Between Two Cities: Seems these are pretty similar games, which is better? I probably prefer the 7W theme as it's a bit more epic.

Keyflower: Looks like a good option, I don't love the theme or graphic design much but geekbuddy analysis is strong!

Antike II: Also looks good but possibly too aggressive. It looks similar to Mare Nostrum: Empires which is on my buy list for a different niche.

Castles of Mad King: This just doesn't click with me.. Seems like you're building a castle together? I'd like a game where you each build a little empire or city of some sort, but thanks for the recommendation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of your picks, I have only played Quadropolis and 7 Wonders. I am also surprised noone recommended Imperial Settlers

Building:

Quadropolis - city
7 wonders - wonder
Imperial Settlers - civilization

Suitability for casual gamers

Quadropolis - high
7 wonders - super high
Imperial Settlers - not so much, unless they really dig the theme

Interaction

Quadropolis - not much, you can basically only prevent someone from getting something, no direct interaction
7 wonders - you interact only with your neighbors and with them only by not sending them some cards...
Imperial Settlers - direct interaction - you can destroy their buildings, although most of the time you focus on building your stuff

Strategy

Quadropolis - medium
7 wonders - on the lower end
Imperial Settlers - high

Graphic design

Quadropolis - great, modern, computer games-like
7 wonders - oldest of the three, but still nice
Imperial Settlers - taken from computer game Settlers, so kind of cute but very nice

Player counts

Quadropolis - 2-4, great at all
7 wonders - 2-7, not very good at 2, otherwise scales well
Imperial Settlers - 2-4 (or 5 with expansions) but best at 2-3

So, in conclusion, I would get 7 wonders for your friends and Imperial Settlers for you and GF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I shall summarise Keyflower and Historia in the same style as above for ease of comparison.

Building:

Keyflower - Town/Settlement
Historia - Civilization

Suitability for casual gamers:

Keyflower - Low to Medium
Historia - Low to Medium

Interaction

Keyflower - High. The way you compete by bidding on the tiles makes this super interactive with lots of inter-player tension.
Historia - Quite High. Simultaneous action selection and area control (over a map of the world) make this an interactive game.

Strategy

Keyflower - High. Over the full length of the game its difficult to commit to a strategy because you never know what tiles will become available but over the length of a round, very strategic.
Historia - High. Whether you are going to put more emphasis on military vs science can be planned from the start but the actions of other players and what wonder/leader cards become available can cause you to respond tactically.

Graphic design

Keyflower - Dated. Functional but could probably use a re-vamp.
Historia - I like it but admittedly some of the cards look a bit amateurish

Player counts

Keyflower - 2-6 and I think it scales well (although I've only ever played with 2 and 3 players).
Historia - 1-6 and scales well because you can pad the players out with civ-bots. These are dummy players that are actually quite fun to play against (which is why this works as a solo game too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you, I reckon I'll get 7 Wonders and I've just discovered Evolution, so I'll probably get that too, looks ace.

Imperial Settlers I've read outstays it's welcome and can be tedious. I don't particularly need a 2p building type game. I've just bought Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn for me and the gf, excited about that, I think Evolution will be a lot of fun too.. and plays up to 6! 7 Wonders looks like the best bet for a low interaction, building game for bigger groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you find Evolution ace! It is an amazing game at all player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might recommend The Golden Ages. But it only plays 4...5 with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia might fit the bill. While many people find the box cover unappealing, it is a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.