Subject: Your Historical Scenario Gambit: Brussels or Sedan? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious what you guys prefer on the GoA card when playing the Historical scenario. The BEF sure is a tempting target since it doesn't have it's usual trench, but Sedan seems so central to the front that you want to hold it and hold it strong. Whaddya think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jepsen Preusse
Denmark
Copenhagen S
Denmark
flag msg tools
Sedan is crucial for the CP in my opinion, so I wouldn't hesitate to attack there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are CP players who will go for the 5 vs 5 attack against the BEF, ESPECIALLY if they have Landwehr in hand and/or have a define RP they're going to play. The CP 9 vs 3 Sedan is done first to draw out withdrawal; an AP player paying attention will NOT play withdrawal in that situation as it's much better used at Brussels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
I always, always flank Sedan 15:3 hoping to advance 3 armies into Sedan.
You have to destroy as many French as possible in the early war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Three reasons why I NEVER advance 3 GE armies into Sedan on the opening turn:

* Leaves Essen open which creates a game-ending supply loss threat on turn 2. (Will cost you another action to address.)

* Gives you less 'space' to bring in GEc's to the West via SR.

* The full Sedan stack precludes bringing in the GEc to Sedan to create the OOS threat for Brussels.

Killing the French, of course, is an admirable goal, but an extra step loss vs the Sedan defender is not significant in the long run, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to go all 3. You want to fight fewer battles per square gained with the GE, since your weakness is inferior attrition power compared to the French and British.

In general, I like to SR early anyways, so it's not a huge slowdown for me to fill in the gap with the GE corp.

Tom's point is also valid if you plan on hammering the West very hard; in that case, you don't want to waste time SR'ing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.