Subject: Disappointed Overall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Natasha T
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box cover and improved rules prompted me to grab this new edition on our way home from a family trip this weekend. I have never seen the deluxe edition of Machi Koro but I have the original game with both expansions... So I set out to do a comparison.

These seem to be the missing cards (please correct me if I missed any):

Base - Mine, Convenience Store, TV Station and Radio Tower (replaced with Moon Tower)
Harbor - Food Warehouse and Hamburger Stand
Millionaire's Row - Corn Field, Vineyard, Loan Office, Winery, Park, Renovation Company and International Exhibit Hall

I was happy to see that there is a good variety from both expansions in the box. My hope was to just keep Bright Lights, Big City and trade or give away my others... I don't like having the separate boxes yet I can't bring myself to stick the cards in one box and throw the expansion boxes away.

I'm torn though. I did not think the component quality in the original game was all that great - and the quality of this new game is worse. The cards seem thinner and flimsier. The cardboard coins aren't as thick. The dice colors don't even go with the colors of the game - I was expecting the normal green and blue with maybe purple for the third... but the dice colors are red, yellow and blue. Doesn't feel like it goes with the night theme (just my opinion). The art is the same except for the nighttime background. As usual there is a TON of wasted space in the box. The insert is now cardboard instead of plastic and all it does is leave a space in the middle of the box to put everything. There aren't any separate sections.

Since my nearest Target is an hour away I'm probably going to keep the new game and maybe sleeve the cards. I like the cleaned up rules and I like having everything in one box since I have limited space. Just wanted to give you guys more details for those that were interested in this... I was expecting better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterj├Ąger
mbmbmbmbmb
I was pretty excited that this was coming out. I figured the quality might have improved from the deluxe edition. The card quality in the pictures you posted looks like they are printed on thin recycled paper. The tokens are not even printed correctly. . I think some industry standards need to be in place for mass market games/store exclusives. If Official USPCC can produce a deck of quality cards on good stock for around 8 dollars retail, there is no excuse why a card game should look like this nowadays. Target sure dropped the ball on this exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking this off my wishlist. Thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad R
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, after all the reviews of the deluxe version and its crappy cards, I would have thought that would have been the big correction in this release. I was really hoping for an increase in quality to pick this up. Instead, this.... another reskin of the same game....not sure what the draw is now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are actually thicker than with a white core and we moved printing to the US for this edition.

Same printer as Codenames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pretty much the opposite opinion of the OP. I don't currently own Machi Koro, but if I decide to buy it, this will be the edition I get. The only downgrade in this edition to me is the insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natasha T
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the revised rules for sure, the quality of the components was just disappointing in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
sublimestars wrote:
These seem to be the missing cards...

Huh, that's actually a positive to me. There were way too many cards after adding expansions for us, the expansions actually stopped us playing the game after they were all mixed in and I haven't played for some time now.

Does anyone know if game length is shorter in MK: BLBC than MK expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought it this week, and played it twice with my family.

Honestly, the cards seem fine to me. The coins are thinner than my other edition.

As for playtime, I think on average it should be shorter. If you read the rules, this edition has a different layout for cards (basically values 1-6 have a tableau with five available types, values 7+ have a tableau with five available types and there are two available landmarks). In theory, this should prevent "lockup" from only non-advantageous card types being available and should speed things up.

Personally the tweaking of the mechanics only exacerbated some the problems I have, in that once a player gets an advantage with blue cards (which make money when it's not your turn) they tend to run away with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I saw them pushing this HARD at Gen Con. So I talked with the Rep at the booth and I said "Hey I own the base plus the expansions, are you releasing this as an expansion?" Him:"Nope we want you to buy this game"

WTF?!

I had no issue with them releasing a deluxe version after I had bought everything. But to tell me I should go to Target to get this? Sorry think I'm done with them.

I will be honest Valeria: Card Kingdoms has really started to take the place of Machi. IMO it's a better implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy and instantly regretted it.

Pretty well every single coin is off center. Quite badly in fact.

Way overpriced for what you get and horrible component quality.

This bites, big (word that rhymes with city and starts with sh).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shifty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
The cards are actually thicker than with a white core and we moved printing to the US for this edition.

Same printer as Codenames.

The issue with the cards I have noticed is chipping. I shuffled the decks about four times, standard riffle shuffle, and cards were already chipping along the sides and tops.

I only paid $11.50 for this at Target (Black Friday sale), so I'm not that upset, but I certainly will not be buying any more copies to give as gifts.

I personally don't give a damn where the cards are printed, quality should be the top priority. The Codenames comparison is of little use, that is not a card game that requires shuffling or constant handling of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yanni Cooper
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wish they'd made it more clear on the box that this was basically just a reprint/combination. I thought this was an expansion, and only realized after poring through the rules that there wasn't much of anything new here. I still haven't busted open the cards, so I might try and resell it.

I was really excited to see more new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
What bugs me the most about this version is that the whole nighttime theme makes every card rather dull and gloomy-looking, especially when compared to the original. It's an odd presentation decision, especially when the vibrant color of the original was one of the game's selling points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.