Hide
9 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need clarification on some of the rules and cards (season 1?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Apple Banana
msg tools
I recently purchased this game and the rules are rather confusing to me (even after watching some youtube clips on general rules and gameplay).

I got the basic version I believe, I don't know if it is called season 1 or not.

I was hoping the nice people of the forum can answer some of my questions.

(Solved) 1. The zombie move page on the manual states - "If they can’t see anybody and there are no open paths to the Survivors, they move toward the noisiest Zone as if all doors were open, though locked doors still stop them."

How is "no open paths" possible?
If you are on the street, there is the open path; and if you are inside a building, there should always be a broken door (which you opened to get in) that leads inside right?

(Unsolved) 2. What equipment cards are consider "do not place in deck unless the mission says so" (Other than Ma's shotgun and evil twins)

(Solved) 3. What do those food/water equipment cards do?
(Unsolved) 3a) Do you keep the food/water equipment cards in the deck even if the mission don't require it?

(Solved) 4. Regarding the Flashlight equipment card.
(Solved) 4a) Do you have to equip the Flashlight card for the effect to take place? (Because Plenty of Ammo states this specifically, but not Flashlight)
(Solved) 4b) Is the Flashlight card single-use or reuseable?
(Solved) 4c) Do effect stack? (i.e. I2 Flashlight = 3 item per search?)

(Solved) 5. Regarding the Molotov equipment card.
(Solved) 5a) What does it do? (I think I read somewhere, it kills everything in melee or 1 range, without having to roll the dice)
(Solved) 5b) If above statement is true, does it kill yourself?
(Solved) 5c) Is Molotov single-use or reuseable?

(Solved) 6. Do you turn to a zombie if you die?

(Unsolved) 7. The zombie move page on the manual states - "If they can’t see anybody, they move toward the Zone that contains the most Noise tokens"
Do they split if there are 2 Zones with the same Noise tokens regardless of distance? Or they don't split and go to the closest Zones with same Noise tokens?

(Unsolved) 8. When do "Extra Activation" zombie card activate? The next zombie-activation phase? Or applies immediately (during zombie-spawn and building population)

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) This occurs for various reasons all the time. For instance, there are scenarios that have spawn zones that are behind closed doors or have a horde of zombies already on the board during setup. It might not be apparent to you right now, but it's not infrequent to have a bunch of zombies piled into one zone trying to wait for a door to open.

2) I'm not sure what rule that is referring to. You might have an older manual and this one just isn't ringing a bell with me.

3) There are some missions that require the survivors to gather food/water before completing the objectives to win the game. So you'll have to keep searching the equipment deck to find the necessary items.

4) I believe the newer flashlight cards actually specify that they don't need to be equipped, but yes that can be confusing. It is indeed reusable and it does stack, so you can get more items per search.

5) A molotov will kill everything in a zone. You need to do 3 damage to kill an Abomination zombie and if you are playing Season 1, I think that's the only way to kill an abomination. (In later versions there are weapons that do 3 damage) You will throw the molotov one zone away from your survivor, not your own zone so that it doesn't kill your survivor. You are welcome to die for your entire team though is sacrifice will help complete the objective. It is single use. You'd have to find another molotov or construct one out of a bottle and gas can.

6) Later versions of Zombicide have the concept of Zombivors where after dying, you get to come back as a zombie version of your survivor. The zombivors have mostly the same abilities. There's an expansion to give the Season 1 characters Zombivor abilities. They do this via double sided character cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apple Banana
msg tools

Thanks for the hastily reply.

ericdrum wrote:
1)This occurs for various reasons all the time. For instance, there are scenarios that have spawn zones that are behind closed doors or have a horde of zombies already on the board during setup. It might not be apparent to you right now, but it's not infrequent to have a bunch of zombies piled into one zone trying to wait for a door to open.

Oh, that make sense. I suppose it could be part of the mission or something.

ericdrum wrote:
2)I'm not sure what rule that is referring to. You might have an older manual and this one just isn't ringing a bell with me.

I read somewhere Ma's shotgun and evil twins are not usually played with the rest of the equipment deck. Was wondering is there anything similar

ericdrum wrote:
3)There are some missions that require the survivors to gather food/water before completing the objectives to win the game. So you'll have to keep searching the equipment deck to find the necessary items.

If I am playing mission without those food/water requirement, do I still keep the cards in the deck? Or remove them like Ma's shotgun and evil twins

ericdrum wrote:
4)I believe the newer flashlight cards actually specify that they don't need to be equipped, but yes that can be confusing. It is indeed reusable and it does stack, so you can get more items per search.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

ericdrum wrote:
5) A molotov will kill everything in a zone. You need to do 3 damage to kill an Abomination zombie and if you are playing Season 1, I think that's the only way to kill an abomination. (In later versions there are weapons that do 3 damage) You will throw the molotov one zone away from your survivor, not your own zone so that it doesn't kill your survivor. You are welcome to die for your entire team though is sacrifice will help complete the objective. It is single use. You'd have to find another molotov or construct one out of a bottle and gas can.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

ericdrum wrote:
6) Later versions of Zombicide have the concept of Zombivors where after dying, you get to come back as a zombie version of your survivor. The zombivors have mostly the same abilities. There's an expansion to give the Season 1 characters Zombivor abilities. They do this via double sided character cards.

Cool. I was just disappointed in a zombie game, you don't get turn to zombie. Glad to know they implemented such feat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8 - Immediately!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
7- Distance is NEVER a consideration when determining any TARGET ZONE or TARGET ZONES.

The only time you worry about distance is in determining the path to take to EACH TARGET ZONE individually.

If there are equal (shortest) paths lengths to the same Target Zone, and if the first step of each movement activation of the zombie is in a different direction along each of those paths, then they split.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apple Banana
msg tools
reverendunclebastard wrote:
8 - Immediately!

Darn, this piece of information just made the game 200% harder.

Thanks mate....

LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apple Banana
msg tools
skritter wrote:
7- Distance is NEVER a consideration when determining any TARGET ZONE or TARGET ZONES.

The only time you worry about distance is in determining the path to take to EACH TARGET ZONE individually.

I think I understand what you are saing.

I am still a bit confused how the whole zombie movement/splitting is implemented, but I am getting there. Just gonna play more with what I know so far and hopefully "weird" situation don't show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2) -starting weapons are handed out to the survivors during setup, so they dont go into the equipment deck
-pimp weapons (ma's shotgun, evil twins, pa's gun, gunblades, any other pimp weapon from the vip boxes, i guess also the rocket launcher and ross' bowling ball.
-any constructed weapons ie weapons for which you first need to collect the parts and combine to get the final weapon (molotov cocktails, nailed bats).

3a) these always stay in the deck as they dilute the equipment deck so its not a guarantee to get a weapon

7)a)first check if you can see a survivor
b1) if yes, they move towards the survivors in sight with most noise, splitting as necessary
b2) if no, they move towards the zone with the most noise, splitting as necessary.
c) for splitting determine how many target zones there are that fulfill the "b" conditions, then determine how many different shortest paths there are to reach those zones; the zombies will now move to each next zone that is on a path towards those target zones and depending the nr of these 'next' zones that is how they will split (paths that overlap are not treated seperately);

for example, there are 2 target zones "1" and "2", there are 2 paths to go to "2" and 1 path to "1", the first zone of a path to "2" and the path to "1" overlap to form 1 "next" zone and the 2nd path to "2" has another "next" zone so there are only 2 "next" zones => 2-way split the zombies.

8) extra activation cards take immediate effect when you draw them (same as you immediately spawn zombies when drawing a spawn card), they only affect standard zombies or skinner zombies depending the image on the card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. edit... answered above.

3a. Food and water cards have the advantage of been able to be discarded when taking a wound instead of your weapon. In the expansions, the food card has discard for +1Xp. Which is a good idea. I wish they'd gave it +/- 1XP making it a choice. Another card I'd like to see is 'Room Empty'.

If your still struggling with Splitting etc... Check this out... http://zombicide.eren-histarion.fr/wp-content/uploads/en/FAQ...

It's an essential table side guide. I printed it off into a lil booklet, shrinking the pages down.

Here's a lil checklist of rules we've needed to reference in the past and some house rules we use. Mainly the cars as the original cars rules are poop! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuLVJBWHVlMjIxMn... The second page is ideas for cards to include.

I will add, the car rules on my summary are heavily abbreviated for the sake of space, they make a lot more sense when explained at the table. They're not wrote there as an explanation of the mechanic, just a simple reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.