Subject: WBC Finals Draft Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Brown
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I went to WBC this past week and won the Agricola tournament. Here is my draft and comments for the final game. We knew who start player was before the draft (I got the lucky #2 seat) and we passed the Occs right, but still passed the Minors left.

EIKW Draft 7.

Occ 1:

Village Fool
Diplomat
Pig Whisperer
Clay Digger
Cowherd
Clay Firer
Pig Catcher

This is straightforward. Diplomat is the only other decent Occ in this pack.

Occ 2:

Wood Deliveryman
Greengrocer
Countryman
Traveling Salesman
Acrobat
Maid

I take the best occ. I can't stop grain combos as there are 3 of them in the pack anyway.

Occ 3:

Tutor
Merchant
Gem Hunter
Stone Carrier
Minimalist

Again, I take the best Occ. I have no intention of playing it, but I need to prevent other people from doing so. Especially since I won't be fighting for the Occ space. Briefly thought about taking Minimalist, but I don't really care if it comes back or not.

Occ 4:

Master Builder
Rancher
Wood Buyer
Butcher

I take the one that has the most potential for combo with minors. I don't really care if people buy up all the wood too as I will be getting points from the Fool and could use food.

Occ 5:

Cowherd
Clay Firer
Pig Catcher

I should probably take Clay Firer because of all of the clay cards in the draft. Still, Cowherd prevents cow combos if they are around.

Occ 6:

Acrobat
Maid

Surprised to see Acrobat come back. Not playing it, but need to take it.

Occ 7:

Minimalist

Fun.

Minors - These are much more controversial.

Minor 1:

Field
Slapdash Renovation
Undisturbed Pond
Loom
Fish Hook
Boundary Stones
Butter Churn

So I start out by drafting for Minimalist. Maybe this is a mistake. Slapdash is good. I didn't see any stone house occs but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. Anything I draft can be thrown away for a point as well. Undisturbed Pond I don't want as I do want to play Fool relatively early and it probably comes back. Loom is decent but Slapdash is the main card to hate draft here.

Minor 2:

Private Forest
Clay Roof
Spinney
Cooking Hearth
Clapper
Brewery

I spent over 5 minutes thinking about this. I usually like to hate draft private forest to stop someone from SPing after me Round 1. That probably happens with Clay Roof as well. Roof is the better card and with tons of clay potentially in the game it might be best to take it. Private Forest though injects wood into the game which increases scores. I have around 10 points in Occs so I want to keep the point ceiling low. I also want there to be more food in the game because I don't want to play many improvements. Private Forest makes people hungry.

Minor 3:

Pelts
Crib
Helpful Neighbors
Drinking Trough
Wood-Fired Oven

Helpful Neighbors is a thought, but I need to kill Pelts here.

Minor 4:

Fish Trap
Attic
Apple Tree
Herb Garden

Strong minors for 4th pick. I am very happy with Fish Trap. Also happy that I passed Clay Roof now so that reed is less valuable to others.

Minor 5:

Fish Hook

Boundary Stones
Butter Churn

Keep people away from my fishing food/1 Reed space.

Minor 6:

Clapper
Brewery

Clapper is easier to play. Doesn't really matter.

Minor 7:

Wood-Fired Oven

I suppose it could be emergency food.

R1 I take 3W, SP Fish Trap. I have a good first phase, get first room and end with about 8f (3 from trap). R1 Clay Digger happened which is interesting. That player ended up taking second. R5 was FG which was the game for me. I played Field on my FG and in R6 or R7 played BMW. I grew again in R8, skipping ahead of the 2nd place player who went with a huge clay strategy. I ended up with about 11 food from Fish Trap.

Scores: 34-47-38-33

The 38 was fence blocked in the final round and would have around 42 or 43 otherwise. I scored 6pts from Fool and 4 from Minimalist. Low scoring game for early FG. The rest of the table rightly went after me after I got an easy first FG. The 2nd place player even declined to slapdash to prevent me from renovating to stone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised you didn't use Village Fool in tandem with Minimalist. Although that would have hampered your great first season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job Dave. I need to get in that tournament
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Brown
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
ousgg wrote:
Surprised you didn't use Village Fool in tandem with Minimalist. Although that would have hampered your great first season.

I did! Final board (4 family members not shown):

Fizbin44 wrote:
Nice job Dave. I need to get in that tournament

Thanks! It was a great week, I recommend checking it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
ad_hoc wrote:
[q="ousgg"]Surprised you didn't use Village Fool in tandem with Minimalist. Although that would have hampered your great first season.

I did! Final board (4 family members not shown):

I thought you must have done but it wasn't explicit anywhere.

I love that guy - at one time, I got dealt 13 shoddy cards and him. Went on to score 54 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At WBC, do you guys draft all your occ's first then draft your minors? Or do you draft them simultaneously (passing in opposite directions)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Brown
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Double Dan wrote:
At WBC, do you guys draft all your occ's first then draft your minors? Or do you draft them simultaneously (passing in opposite directions)?

We drafted all of the occs, then drafted all of the minors. We did pass in opposite directions too.

We also knew seating and SP before the draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who were the other finalists at WBC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Murray
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself, Eric Wrobel and Keith Dent. I'll be posting the After Action Report within the next couple of days... I'm still drafting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Rob's report is up
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1628182/2016-wbc-agricola-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.