Popular Tags: wbc [+] [View All]
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a lot of people are resistant to change, while others would rather wait for reports coming from attendees the first year. Sure, some will not come again, but other new people will come. I think that last bit is a wash. I think attendance will rise next year and following years once the word gets out that it blows Lancaster Host away......as do floods and tornadoes, and lightning, and....you get the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martz
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good comments Joel.

2016 was my first time staying overnight at WBC as I used to drive from Harrisburg (about 45 minutes away). While there was an adjustment factor (no, Paul, you can't game til 2am three days in a row and make a 9am tourney) I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I made new convention friends and ended up playing a lot more open gaming than I usually have in the past.

Food was fine, I was not disappointed in any meal.

I stayed on the 9th floor of the tower. While it was quite a walk from where the convention was happening I didn't mind that much. I also found that I was able to relax and "get away" from the convention by sitting in the porch of the hotel room which had a view of some trees and a fountain.

I will definitely return next year.

I agree that we may not get the one day day trippers but I hope we will get some overnight ones. I'd like to think that if I lived in Pittsburgh I would try it out once. Maybe WBC can offer some sort of discount to people who have never attended before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Polcen
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
I play Speed Circuit / Championship Formula Racing at Redscape.
badge
www.redscape.com... proud sponsor of neighborly warfare since 1998
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first WBC and I think it worked out perfectly at 7 Springs. My wife, the non-gamer, actually suggested that the girls and I return next year (in the hotel rather than the campground we stayed at for a week). Between the facility, the juniors room, and the total focus on playing games, I think she sees it as a safe place to keep us all out of trouble. And she gets a week of sanity by herself at home.*

While I've never been to the Host, based on the stories heard, I'm not so sure that would've happened if the event were still there.

*She might still come just for the alpine slide - what a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geary
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
pabadger wrote:

I stayed on the 9th floor of the tower. While it was quite a walk from where the convention was happening I didn't mind that much.

I agree. I was in room 665 at the hotel this year and I actually had twice as far to walk from my hotel room this year than I did last year. I didn't believe it until after the con when I pulled up Google Earth and measured the distances at Seven Springs and at the Host.

As I was walking it this year, the distances felt like they were equal to or less than last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pabadger wrote:
Good comments Joel.

2016 was my first time staying overnight at WBC as I used to drive from Harrisburg (about 45 minutes away). While there was an adjustment factor (no, Paul, you can't game til 2am three days in a row and make a 9am tourney) I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I made new convention friends and ended up playing a lot more open gaming than I usually have in the past.

I disagree... You can game until 2am 3 nights in a row and make it to a 9am tourney, no problem. It is the expecting to play well at 9am thing that is usually lacking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can pull that sort of thing off just fine if I have a chance to take a nap sometime in the afternoon ... just power through the morning with caffeine and willpower and then crash for a bit.

Quote:
As I was walking it this year, the distances felt like they were equal to or less than last year.

It was a longer walk than from within the Host (or the Classic), but it was less of a walk than coming over to the Host from, say, Red Roof. Actually liked the chance to get the blood flowing and move around some, while not having to walk as far as I used to ... plus having at least a substantial part of the walk be air conditioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.