$60.00
$20.00
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

There are a total of 60 D2e heroes currently about. These 3 aren't any of them. Are they unused D1e heroes, or are they unused ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Null
msg tools
Those 3 heroes were used extensively... On the box art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure they exist, they are:

Shoulderpads McLantern
Oblivious, the Paranoid Ranger
Angry Geddy Lee, the Ranger Smasher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mb
Shoulderpads McLantern for the win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
Mlai00 wrote:
There are a total of 60 D2e heroes currently about. These 3 aren't any of them. Are they unused D1e heroes, or are they unused ideas?

No, they don't exist as heroes anywhere in the game. FFG has a long and storied history of putting unnamed heroes on the boxes that don't appear in the games, both for Descent and Runebound (2E, I mean.)

Why this happens is anyone's guess. Maybe the artists who do the boxes and the artists who do the hero sheets are separate and are not given explicit direction about the heroes' appearances. Or maybe FFG just bulk orders a bunch of fantasy art and picks stuff at random, independent of game design.

I mean, that white dragon doesn't really correspond to any monster in the game, either. I suppose you could argue it's an Ice Wyrm, but it's substantially different from the monster designs, which existed well before D2E did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
Stewi wrote:

I mean, that white dragon doesn't really correspond to any monster in the game, either. I suppose you could argue it's an Ice Wyrm, but it's substantially different from the monster designs, which existed well before D2E did.

It's actually a crypt dragon, it's white because of the lighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all fairness though, after the original box art, all of the large and small box expansions do feature heroes (and monsters) that come with the expansion...

... except Mists of Bilehall - it does not ship with heroes so those featured on the cover are ones already in the game (Jain and Trenloe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
I've always thought of them as alternative imaginings of existing heroes.

Avric Albright
Syndrael
Jain Fairwood (Male version)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
I've always thought of them as alternative imaginings of existing heroes...

I don't swing that way, but Jain makes a real distinguished dude.
She should grow a beard more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither do Goblin Infantry exist in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of these heroes actually appear to exist in the Drakon board game's newest edition.

https://www.google.com/search?q=DRAKON&safe=active&espv=2&bi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
Mlai00 wrote:

No, they don't exist as heroes anywhere in the game. FFG has a long and storied history of putting unnamed heroes on the boxes that don't appear in the games, both for Descent and Runebound (2E, I mean.)

Why this happens is anyone's guess. Maybe the artists who do the boxes and the artists who do the hero sheets are separate and are not given explicit direction about the heroes' appearances. Or maybe FFG just bulk orders a bunch of fantasy art and picks stuff at random, independent of game design.

Actually talking about history, every hero on the cover of Descent 1e. boxes was an actual hero in the game. I think they decided to forgo that for a reason, maybe to avoid these heroes to be overselected by the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Stewi wrote:
Mlai00 wrote:

Actually talking about history, every hero on the cover of Descent 1e. boxes was an actual hero in the game. I think they decided to forgo that for a reason, maybe to avoid these heroes to be overselected by the players.

This is true, however if I remember correctly the heroes on the cover of the base game weren't available until Well of Darkness came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we all will get our Shoulderpads McLantern later then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderSlug wrote:
Two of these heroes actually appear to exist in the Drakon board game's newest edition.

Hah, nice find!

edit:
Here's a picture from FFG's announcement of the game:

[source]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
WonderSlug wrote:

Hah, nice find!

edit:
Here's a picture from FFG's announcement of the game:

[source]

Interesting, is Drakon set in Terrinoth now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon 3rd ed used the same molds as Well of Darkness, too. Maybe this means we'll end up with these new Drakon molds in Hero/Monster packs or future Descent expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harshman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctor poo wrote:
Drakon 3rd ed used the same molds as Well of Darkness, too. Maybe this means we'll end up with these new Drakon molds in Hero/Monster packs or future Descent expansions.

Really hoping we get the missing 12 heroes from the conversion kit in a hero and monster collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing happened on the cover of the Descent-like Star Wars Imperial Assault. At the top of the picture, there is a male Twi'lek Jedi, but in the final product, the character is female.

My assumption is the artwork is contracted long in advance before the product is finalized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might wanna check that box art again; that Twi'lek is Diala, not some Twi'lek dude. Clothes nearly identical to what's on her hero sheet, from her arm wraps to her skull cap. The clothes are just a bit baggier on the box art is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Might wanna check that box art again; that Twi'lek is Diala, not some Twi'lek dude. Clothes nearly identical to what's on her hero sheet, from her arm wraps to her skull cap. The clothes are just a bit baggier on the box art is all.

Hmmmm..... I dunno.... i mean, yeah... that COULD be female breasts/waist but the bagginess of the clothes as you described don't make it clear, but that face?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, OK. You can believe as you like. But you're aware that there is a wide variety of human face shapes among the sexes? Take Tilda Swinton and David Bowie, for instance. They look(ed) pretty darn similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.