Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text for the Woodsman advisor reads,
Woodsman wrote:
When exploring a space with a (anchor symbol), +1 die to the explore endeavor.

I had been assuming that this meant that the Woodsman gives the additional +1d when exploring an anchor site. However, I recently noted that rulebook says:
SeaFall, p22 wrote:
Space: Any spot on the board where your ships may be. Open sea, coastal waters, and home harbors are different types of spaces.

So my new interpretation is that, based on the word "space", the Woodsman actually gives +1d when exploring any site on an island that happens to have an anchor site somewhere on it.

Is that correct? Should the word "space" actually be "site" on the Woodsman? If my new interpretation *is* correct, what happens when the last anchor symbol on an island gets covered up with a sticker? Assuming there are non-anchor sites left, does the Woodsman grant his bonus for exploring those sites (because there *was* an anchor site there?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Woodsman grants his bonus only when you're exploring the actual site that has the anchor.

Other sites on that island are treated normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
I would say that 'site', in this case, refers to a space in the generic sense - not the game terminology sense.

Thus it would only give you a +1 when exploring (ie. revealing a site, space, location) with an anchor symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
The Woodsman grants his bonus only when you're exploring the actual site that has the anchor.

Other sites on that island are treated normally.

Thanks, JR! (Added to the compilation thread.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Becq, from this thread and others you've made, I think you're taking rules literalism a bit too far. It's okay to be a little interpretative sometimes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Becq, from this thread and others you've made, I think you're taking rules literalism a bit too far.

That's impossible. The rules have to be taken litterally. They're supposed to be the final arbiter of what is and isn't allowed in the game. If they leave room for interpretation, then you're going to have everyone at the table playing under a slightly different rule set, which isn't good for anyone.

I say hammer out at many issues like this as you can before the game gets set up on people's tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
If/when I become a billionaire I am going to find the most promising law graduate from among the best universities in the world. I will pay them exorbitant amounts of money to act as my rules-lawyer - standing in the corner and ready to be summoned as the final arbiter on such 'interpretations'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Becq, from this thread and others you've made, I think you're taking rules literalism a bit too far. It's okay to be a little interpretative sometimes!

Hmm, I don't feel they are unnecessary...in a game that has this many rules to begin with, and even more to be added later, I don't see the problem with some (a lot of) clarification. In this specific situation, Becq stated what the confusion could be for someone, even quoting the definition of terms given in the rulebook. In fact, he's found a misprint, in which the card definitely should say "site" and not "space." Bravo, Becq! Keep salivating over that rulebook until the game arrives at our doors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that "taking rules literalism too far" is when you insist on following the rules exactly as they're written beyond the bounds of common sense. For example, insisting that someone was breaking the rules because they were "bouncing" the dice, when the rules clearly state that you should "roll" the dice.

What I was doing is trying to make sure that the rules as I was reading them (ie, the "literal" rules) matched up with the rules as the designers meant them to be interpreted (ie, the "intended" rules). I wasn't sure, so I asked the designers to clarify their intent -- and they did. So are you really saying that I was trying to take the rules too much as the designers intended them? That seems like an odd complaint.

Whether you play by the rules as written, or by the rules as the designers intended, or by modified house rules is up to each group of players. All are valid -- but regardless, the players need to be using the *same* rules. After all, the bottom line is that playing by the rules is the difference between playing a board game and playing with toys on a colorfully painted piece of cardboard.

Or at least, that's my take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.