21 Posts

Tragedy Looper» Forums » News

Subject: Big Announcement: New Script Competition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucille Jean-Baptiste
United States
flag msg tools
For those of you who don't follow Bakafire's Twitter account (not that I blame you because it's all in Japanese), a new announcement was made. Bakafire's holding a new custom script competition in celebration for the new expansion coming out in America and a 5th edition of the game coming out in Japan.

One script will be selected as the Grand Prize Winner while 20 others, along with the winner, will selected for publication. The Grand Prize Winner will receive a one of a kind leather file for use as a mastermind.

The scripts can be submitted in either English or Japanese. No need to panic about the deadline because you have until the end of February 2017 to submit an entry.

Here's the link to the contest: http://bakafire.main.jp/tlcompe/eng/

Bonus: Even if you don't think you're going to enter the competition I still think you should check it out as there are some spoilers for the possible new characters that are coming in the new expansion. I'll probably make a theory thread about them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news I will be excited to see what people can come up with, might even toss my own hat in the ring if I can find the time.

But this of course means the release of a new "expansion" for those owning the game (lots of new scripts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Do we have any idea what the rebalanced Police Officer and Informer look like? I'm guessing at least one of Police Officer's goodwill ability costs has been reduced, and Informer was somehow rewritten so that if you already know one subplot, using her ability is no longer a coin flip between "learn the other subplot" and "learn nothing at all".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Tuxian should definitely enter. Seen some pretty fiendishly clever scripts in PBF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:
Tuxian should definitely enter. Seen some pretty fiendishly clever scripts in PBF.

*laughs* I've only written one script so far, but I'm glad you've been enjoying the shows. I can't wait to finish both games so my players can talk and look at each other's threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie willett
msg tools
Wow you guys beat me to posting it haha.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me, i can pass them on to bakafire for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ja785y wrote:
Wow you guys beat me to posting it haha.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me, i can pass them on to bakafire for you.

What do the new versions of the Police Officer and the Informer look like?

What are the New Student, Teacher, Military, and Black Cat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bonner
msg tools
I picked the expansion up at Gen Con today. Here's the new stuff they're talking about.

Police Officer: [Adult] [Man]
Paranoia limit 3, starts in City
(4) Reveal the culprit behind any incident that has occurred this loop. (once per loop)
(5) Place an Extra marker on any character in this location. Should that character die during this loop, instead remove that marker. (once per loop)

Informer: [Adult] [Woman]
(5) The leader names the title of any subplot. The mastermind must name the title of one subplot in use, that is not the subplot named by the leader.

Teacher: [Adult] [Woman]
Paranoia limit 2, starts in School
(3) Remove or add 1 paranoia to any student in this location.
(4) Reveal the role of any student in this location. (once per loop)

Transfer Student: [Student] [Girl]
Paranoia limit 2, starts in School
(Passive) Does not appear in the game until the start of the scripted day.
(2) Change 1 intrigue token on any other character in this location to 1 goodwill.

Soldier: [Adult] [Man]
Paranoia limit 3, starts in Hospital
(2) Put 2 paranoia on another character in this location. (once per loop)
(5) The protagonists cannot die this loop. (once per loop)

Black Cat: [Animal]
Paranoia limit 0, starts in Shrine
(Passive) At the start of each loop, place 1 intrigue on the Shrine.
(Passive) Whenever an incident for which this character is the culprit occurs, cancel the effects of that incident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that the expansion came out there afterall.

Soo what is the point of the cats second abilty, I don't get it. Couldn't it just have a high paranoia limit instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it as saying "The incident occurred (or should have occurred), but nothing happened". In other words, it's equivalent to when a culprit has sufficient paranoia, but the incident has no result (a murder where there's no available victim, etc). So it becomes like an omen of doom - and most importantly, provides a smoke-screen for other culprits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
MythrilCircuit wrote:
(5) Place an Extra marker on any character in this location. Should that character die during this loop, instead remove that marker. (once per loop)

Does this mean an Extra card, or are Extra markers something new in this expansion?

Muemmelmann wrote:
Soo what is the point of the cats second abilty, I don't get it. Couldn't it just have a high paranoia limit instead?

I mean, the flavor reason is pretty straightforward. The reason cats don't commit terrorism isn't that they're too calm and collected to panic, it's that they're cats, they can't blow up cities, they're cats. But even if we're only speaking mechanically, there are quite a few circumstances where it's meaningfully different:

Hard-to-trigger and impossible-to-trigger are not the same. Sure, you could give the Black Cat a paranoia limit of 4, but that's not enough if its Lover suddenly dies. This way you can put a truly fake incident on the open information card. A day 8 Hospital Incident is scary, but even with a high paranoia limit culprit it can also be very difficult for the protagonists to prevent if they need to keep intrigue off of anything else, especially with a Conspiracy Theorist around. If you want to deceive the protagonists without actually giving the mastermind a stronger power play, give the Black Cat an incident. (Alternatively, give the A.I. access to an incident without the mastermind ever having a chance to use it.) The fact that the protagonists will be told that the incident triggers but see nothing can also help clue them in that the incident is literally impossible, whereas they might otherwise believe that the mastermind simply chose not to pursue that path to victory in this particular loop.

Even if the incident doesn't do anything itself, it still counts as a incident. In Mystery Circle, giving the Black Cat an incident is a free EX gauge tick. In Cosmic Horror, giving the Black Cat an incident lets a previously-resolved The Hounds Catch The Scent (or whatever the official translation is) become lethal. In the case of Mystery Circle, Rich Man's Daughter or Henchman with a Portent incident can be used for a similar purpose, but only the Black Cat can get multiple free EX ticks from consecutive Serial Murders.

Similarly, a Black Cat with a Butterfly Effect incident will still satisfy the loss condition of Change of Future. If you want to create a script that is unwinnable, or winnable only through kitty-murder, then knock yourself out. You monster.

The protagonists can never suspect the Black Cat as a culprit. Even if effects like Obstinate or Private Investigator that would normally allow high paranoia limit characters to trigger their incidents without paranoia are potentially in play, the protagonists will always know that if the incident actually does anything, the kitty is not responsible.

Speaking of which, Black Cat is amazing at hiding the Obstinate. Sometimes for one reason or another you don't want the protagonists to know that an Obstinate exists, whether to conceal its subplot or to help with the Final Guess. Since Black Cat has no goodwill abilities and its incident will always trigger anyhow, it makes the Obstinate role invisible.

Give the protagonists a Black Cat with an incident, and it will help them sniff out the Prophet. If an incident triggers but does nothing, it's probably the Black Cat's. If that incident fails to trigger one loop, the Prophet is presumably in the Black Cat's location, petting it. And if you want a Prophet but don't really want any suicides, make the Black Cat the suicide culprit.

The Black Cat is always at its paranoia limit, so the Nurse can always calm it down. Yes, paranoia on the Black Cat generally won't trigger its incident, but it could let the Black Cat kill the protagonists if it's the Loved One, or become a serial killer if there's a Paranoia Virus, or be moved by a Magician, or help add up to a loss condition in the Smell of Gunpowder, or kill everyone if it's the Sacrifice (or whatever the official translation is). It could even be relevant for actually triggering incidents if the Black Cat is the culprit of a Beastial Murder and the protagonists need to prevent that EX Gauge tick, giving the Black Cat an effective paranoia limit of 1 instead of 4.

Obviously not all of these are necessarily super-relevant -- I don't really believe that letting the Nurse try to protect the Black Cat from Magicians is often going to be a major factor. But I think there's plenty of design space available for scriptwriters to get interesting use out of it. The truly fake incident, the secret Obstinate, the Prophet geiger counter, the EX manipulator, and the Kitterfly Effect all seem like particularly straightforward meaningful uses.

Besides, don't tell me you don't love the image of the Black Cat resolving its Confession incident by meowing loudly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your explanation, it sorta makes sense so what exactly do you say when the cat incident happens? Xxx triggered but nothing happened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Muemmelmann wrote:
Thanks for your explanation, it sorta makes sense so what exactly do you say when the cat incident happens? Xxx triggered but nothing happened?

Yeah, my assumption is that it looks identical to a Murder triggering when the culprit is alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
MythrilCircuit wrote:
I picked the expansion up at Gen Con today. Here's the new stuff they're talking about.

Police Officer: [Adult] [Man]
(4) Reveal the culprit behind any incident that has occurred this loop. (once per loop)

That's going to have some interesting interactions with Faked Suicide (can't move) and Fated Connections (become Key Person).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
ffaristocrat wrote:
That's going to have some interesting interactions with Faked Suicide (can't move) and Fated Connections (become Key Person).

Off-topic, but that's actually one of the numerous mistranslations in the first expansion: Faked Suicide prevents the protagonists from playing any cards on those characters, not just movement cards. This has been confirmed by the translator and brought to ZMan's attention, but ZMan still has not bothered fixing it on their reference sheet PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bonner
msg tools
Sorry, I missed one of the Teacher's abilities. Original post updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kirkpatrick
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the awesome insight, salty53. I have a feeling the Black Cat is going to become one of my favorite characters.
Quote:
Similarly, a Black Cat with a Butterfly Effect incident will still satisfy the loss condition of Change of Future. If you want to create a script that is unwinnable, or winnable only through kitty-murder, then knock yourself out. You monster.

This is brilliant. I like the idea of having a script where the protagonists have to actively do something to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bonner
msg tools
salty53 wrote:
MythrilCircuit wrote:

Does this mean an Extra card, or are Extra markers something new in this expansion?

The base set has several copies of the token that's used to mark the current Extra gauge value. I think it's talking about those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bonner
msg tools
Is Prime Evil what the competition info has listed as Haunted Stage Again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryon Levitt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there tips anywhere for calculating the difficulty? The Mastermind book talks about increasing and decreasing, but not by how much and not what the baseline is. It's a tad confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.