United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm prepping my painting of my Scythe minis and my Polania (white) mechs have warped bases. They have a downward warp in the center that makes them wobble or spin a bit and I'm thinking of just trying to flatten the bases with some sandpaper.

Before I do has anyone else worked with a similar issue? Any feedback on what you've tried?

I don't think I need replacements, just looking for thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Skelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried this myself, but I read somewhere that you can put the minis in hot (boiling?) water. It makes them soft enough to remold. Let them dry/cool off and voila. I might have seen it in one of Jamey's KS updates...I'll go look.

Not sure if this particular deformity could be solved like that, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing!

Edit: Couldn't find what I was looking for, but found this https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/494922/how-fix-warped-or-be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
I'm prepping my painting of my Scythe minis and my Polania (white) mechs have warped bases. They have a downward warp in the center that makes them wobble or spin a bit and I'm thinking of just trying to flatten the bases with some sandpaper.

Before I do has anyone else worked with a similar issue? Any feedback on what you've tried?

I don't think I need replacements, just looking for thoughts

Have you tried putting them in hot water, fixing and then giving them a cold bath? I've done this with my Blood Rage minis, but I don't know if the materials are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this with swords/guns/flags but not bases, it's worth a try before I get the sandpaper out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boiling water is overkill. Most plastic warped by storage in a hot warehouse can be returned to shape much cooler than that. Too hot to keep your finger in it is all you need, probably around 120° F/50° C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, the hot water to cold bath method is the standard method for returning plastic minis to their originally molded shape.

Usually you don't need to touch the mini - it will return to shape all on its own. But if that doesn't work, then sometimes you'll need to hold it in the desired shape while it cools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A couple of my white mech pieces have the same problem. Was also thinking of sanding the base to stop the rocking, spinning of these. They aren't really bent out of shape they just seem to have a bit more plastic on the center underside of the base.

Anyway, let us know how you go with fixing them Matt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve777 wrote:
A couple of my white mech pieces have the same problem. Was also thinking of sanding the base to stop the rocking, spinning of these. They aren't really bent out of shape they just seem to have a bit more plastic on the center underside of the base.

Anyway, let us know how you go with fixing them Matt.

Same here. Apparently the "Polania Wobble" is a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The "Polania Wobble" sounds like a dance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay friends, thanks for the reminder on the hot water trick, that's definitely the way to tackle this. As a note, the colored plastic is extremely flexible when it's sufficiently warm, I could nearly fold the colored plastic bases in half when they're good and warm.

Details:

1 - Stood the mini in a flat ceramic dish and added nearly boiling water to the dish until the mech was up to its ankles. (I would not recommend just submerging the minis in a pot.)

2 - Waited about 45 seconds.

3 - Started running some cold tap-water.

4 - Pulled out the mini and started pushing the center of the base upwards to invert the warp. (Trying to make the base actually flat seems almost impossible by hand, making it slightly concave on the bottom instead makes the figure stand without the wobble and you don't have to be worried about perfection.)

5 - Once I'd managed to get some concave-ness to the base I tried to hold it in shape and run it under the cold tap-water until the plastic hardened into the shape I was holding. The plastic hardens pretty quickly but I've got relatively cold running tap-water here, so if you're in Phoenix you might want an ice-water bath for it instead.

6 - Test and repeat, the bases were too soft to test with before cooling so it was a heat-fix-cool, heat-fix-cool process until I was happy with it, took 2-3 cycles for each mini after my first one.

Notes :

With the way the Polania mechs are joined to the base, it seems plausible that you could pop them off the bases as you're working on the warm plastic (intentionally or unintentionally), I was tempted to do so just to get the mech out of the way so I could properly flatten the disc but I'm not really sure they'd stay truly flat anyways.

I'm glad I tried this as opposed to sanding, the plastic directly under the feet of the Polania mechs is actually rather thin, which is probably why we see the warping on the bases to begin with, sanding might have cut through the thin parts and left the bases in worse shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Webb
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
Apparently the "Polania Wobble" is a thing.

It explains why they are the worst faction and the best faction at the same time!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
48 hour followup :

The minis have reverted at room temperature and stubbornly continue to wobble, I live in the Seattle area so it's not exactly that warm here and the game's just been on my shelf.

I need to redo this but find a way to hold them in shape as they slowly cool to room temp.

Will update again in a few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

Will update again in a few days.

Did you succeed, and if so, what exactly did you do?

I just noticed 2 of my white mechs also have this problem. I'm just afraid if I put the mech in very hot, almost boiling water the base will get "melty" and unfixable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Khonnor wrote:
I'm just afraid if I put the mech in very hot, almost boiling water the base will get "melty" and unfixable.

No, it won't. (That is, assuming you don't keep the plastic in the hot water for too long... about 5-10 seconds should work).

After 5-10 seconds, it will become soft and malleable. But it will be in that state for only a few seconds. The plastic doesn't take long to cool, even if it feels warm to you!

So while the base is in it's malleable state is the time to either (try the method that works for you):

1) quickly immerse the base in COLD water. Theoretically, that should return the plastic to the original shape it was molded in.

but when that doesn't work, then:

2) quickly press the base to a flat service, making sure to keep the base absolutely flat till it cools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the long gap there, multiple treatments have helped things flatten out. I'm simply not worrying too much more about this until the expansion comes out and I gear up to paint all the minis as one project.

Its important to say that I don't put the minis in a pan on the stove, I put them on a teacup with just enough hot water to cover the base. I use boiling hot water but that's also not necessary you can start with hot water from your tap and see how flexible things are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.