Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the terrible quality dice from the 1st edition also in later editions?

I just traded for C&C:A and the copy I received appears to be a first edition (never played!) and I am just amazed at the disparity in component quality within one game box. Hundreds of wooden blocks, great! Hollow plastic dice and a game board that is thick cardstock? Not so good.

Anyway, do later editions have better dice and are they available for purchase? I searched for threads and found some from many years ago mentioning 3rd party replacement dice but they appear to be no more.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Martin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for later editions, but as of the 3rd edition the dice are still the same cheap design as the 1st edition. However, the 3rd edition board is mounted and of much nicer quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
substandardtim wrote:
I just traded for C&C:A and the copy I received appears to be a first edition (never played!) and I am just amazed at the disparity in component quality within one game box. Hundreds of wooden blocks, great! Hollow plastic dice and a game board that is thick cardstock? Not so good.

I'm almost sure the hollow dice came exclusively in the 1st edition. The first expansion (Greece) came already with solid dice (still plastic) to replace those from the base game, so I think they used those for the subsequent editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:

I'm almost sure the hollow dice came exclusively in the 1st edition. The first expansion (Greece) came already with solid dice (still plastic) to replace those from the base game, so I think they used those for the subsequent editions.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am wrong, but isn't the 1st expansion out of print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
substandardtim wrote:
Maybe I am wrong, but isn't the 1st expansion out of print?

Base game and all expansion go out of print and back from time to time, several times already, I don't know the actual status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 2009 edition set up and the dice are fine. Can't tell if they're hollow or not. Doesn't matter, awesome game well worth owning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3rd edition dice are still the sticker-them-yourself type, but they are solid and not hollow. I wasn't a fan at first but they turned out to be just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Martin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:

If Franchi says something about C&C Ancients, then you can bet that it's so. Which unfortunately means that I must have gotten ripped off when I bought my copy of 3rd edition Ancients second hand: somebody must have swapped out the dice, because my 3rd ed. dice are the same as my 1st ed. dice. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Martin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But on the plus side, I guess I can sticker up those dice from Expansion 1 that I never took out of the plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InNC
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice and the stickers from the 3rd edition are not that great.

They work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what's the odds that they are anywhere near balanced? Do you know which one to roll when you need an infantry light hit? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my cheapo dice has a large nodule sticking out on the one face that I am going to have to trim off to make it a little more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.