Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Avram Grumer
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The shaded buildings along the right-hand edge of the B card --- who scores those bonus points? Do they go to the owner of the building? Or to whoever has their worker token in the building on the last turn, in keeping with the general rule for how buildings work in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Goes to whoever owns the building. Should have been clearer that the shade buildings are end-game scoring, not action spaces, but I don't actually see that explicitly stated in the rules. If anything the rules imply the reverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avram Grumer
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also: Do the shaded buildings score the 1-point-per-building-owned in addition to their bonus value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They sure do. Everything you own is 1, and then the points explicitly listed on the buildings are over and above that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avram Grumer
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do copper coins used as building ownership markers still count as coppers for victory points? (Even without the Monument in play.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They do not. So you're trading 1 point for 1 point. But you're also taking it permanently out of play, counting towards the end game trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Malinowski
Poland
Warszawa
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what's the point of the Monument?
It seems extremely weak.
You score 1VP per copper coin used to build. But hadn't you used these copper coins for building, you would've scored 1VP per each one anyway...
So no net gain...
And Monument is very expensive on top of that...
I just don't get it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brisiel
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacek, I believe that the monument enables the owner to score their marked buildings as usual (1 point per building), and an additional point for any buildings that are owned and marked with a copper. Thus enabling some buildings that meet that criteria to score two for the owner. That is how we play that building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avram Grumer
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But the 1 pt/copper you get for the Monument is the same 1 pt/copper you'd have gotten if you'd kept those copper coins in your supply and built using silver instead.

I guess if you've got a lot of copper and you're short on silver, Monument lets you use copper to build and recover those lost points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
avram wrote:
But the 1 pt/copper you get for the Monument is the same 1 pt/copper you'd have gotten if you'd kept those copper coins in your supply and built using silver instead.

I guess if you've got a lot of copper and you're short on silver, Monument lets you use copper to build and recover those lost points.

That's basically it. If you get a lot of copper, it gives you an alternate and slightly more efficient route to points.

If I had $16 in gold, it would be 8 points. If I had $6 in gold and $10 in silver, and built 5 buildings without monument, I'd still have 8 points. If I used those 3 gold to build buildings, and built the monument with silver only, it would be 4 building points, 3 monument points, and $4 leftover. But if I had $10 in gold and $6 in silver, and built the monument plus 3 buildings, I could have 4 building points, 4 monument points, 1 point in gold and $2 leftover. So it's not huge, but there's potential.

I'm happy for someone to check my math on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.