Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: How does it play solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike King7
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Does it have a great solo system or does it seem tacked on/unfinished? Is it fun solo. Is it worth buying just for solo play?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1605821/scythe-it-worth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo system is the complete opposite of "tacked on"! It is a highly developed system, with its own rulebook in the box, that does a fantastic job of replicating an opponent. It is even possible, with a duplicate deck of AI cards, to play against multiple AIs in a solo game. I have played more than a dozen games, half of them solo, and have loved every play.

Check out my game collection and you will see that my collection is almost entirely games that can be played solo! I am an experienced solo player (about 70% of my plays are solitaire) and I would definitely recommend this for solo play. It is one of only two games I have rated a 10! Even if you are primarily going to play this solo, it is worth purchasing IMO.

Also, the Solitaire Games on Your Table geeklist is full of solo players raving about the game, I am not the only one who feels it is worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmmm... your question indicates that you didn't spend much time looking through the forums before posting it, as there's tons of info and commentary about this game's solo system.

As the Reverend said above, this game comes with its own solo rulebook! Not to mention the separate dedicated components. As a matter of fact, the solo game has an entirely different design team and production staff!

Go here to read an interview in which the solo designer explains his approach to designing solitaire modes for multi-player games. I think you'll come to the conclusion that it's not tacked-on! (Just to confirm your question).
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/51750/interview-about-aut...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeking7 wrote:
Does it have a great solo system or does it seem tacked on/unfinished? Is it fun solo. Is it worth buying just for solo play?

Thanks!

without sarcasm or embellishment - Morten's Automa is AWESOME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
As the Reverend said above, this game comes with its own solo rulebook! Not to mention the separate dedicated components. As a matter of fact, the solo game has an entirely different design team and production staff!

FWIW, the fact that the automa was developed by an entirely different design team, and comes with a rulebook and manual separate from the core game, does nothing to dispel the idea that the automa is tacked on. To the contrary, focusing on that could lead the reader to come to the conclusion that it is in fact tacked on.

The fact (commonly held opinion?) remains that the add-on is not a tack-on job, but rather a lovingly dovetailed extension that is smoothed and adjusted to the point that it is practically seamless with the core game, and mad props to Morten and his team for getting it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
The solo system is the complete opposite of "tacked on"! It is a highly developed system, with its own rulebook in the box, that does a fantastic job of replicating an opponent. It is even possible, with a duplicate deck of AI cards, to play against multiple AIs in a solo game. I have played more than a dozen games, half of them solo, and have loved every play.

Check out my game collection and you will see that my collection is almost entirely games that can be played solo! I am an experienced solo player (about 70% of my plays are solitaire) and I would definitely recommend this for solo play. It is one of only two games I have rated a 10! Even if you are primarily going to play this solo, it is worth purchasing IMO.

Also, the Solitaire Games on Your Table geeklist is full of solo players raving about the game, I am not the only one who feels it is worthwhile.

I haven't read the multi-solo (more than 1 Automa) rules yet, but I imagine you'd want to make one of them use reverse reading order as it's resolution rules. Otherwise you could be hard done by/helped out depending on what part of the board your faction starts on. I can only remember using the reading order tie-breaker twice in my first game of Automa, but I can imagine the more pieces on the board, then the more times this rule will become relevant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike King7
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

Hmmm... your question indicates that you didn't spend much time looking through the forums before posting it, as there's tons of info and commentary about this game's solo system.

Go here to read an interview in which the solo designer explains his approach to designing solitaire modes for multi-player games. I think you'll come to the conclusion that it's not tacked-on! (Just to confirm your question).

There are over 700 posts in the forum for this game. No, I didn't go through every one. I have a job, a family and other hobbies...
I appreciate the helpful comments and the link from John though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mikeking7 wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

There are over 700 posts in the forum for this game. No, I didn't go through every one. I have a job, a family and other hobbies...

There are probably 3-4 other threads on the first page alone that would answer this, though. It takes 2 minutes to glance over them. Now you're implying that the people helping you do not have a job, family, other hobbies (because they spent the 2 seconds to find information for you), which is incredibly rude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the search tool function that makes it easier to find specific topics that people have questions about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
The automa movement rules are a bit hard to grasp at first, but overall it''s an excellent solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's keep it friendly geek peeps. The mostly friendly nature of BGG is what makes it the best place on the net.

All that needs to be said is that it is a great game played solo.

Now go play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike King7
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
GamerChicken wrote:
mikeking7 wrote:
[q="bgm1961"]

There are probably 3-4 other threads on the first page alone that would answer this, though. It takes 2 minutes to glance over them. Now you're implying that the people helping you do not have a job, family, other hobbies (because they spent the 2 seconds to find information for you), which is incredibly rude.

No, you just implied that. I did not. Answer my post or don't answer my post but don't be a condescending prick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:

I haven't read the multi-solo (more than 1 Automa) rules yet, but I imagine you'd want to make one of them use reverse reading order as it's resolution rules. Otherwise you could be hard done by/helped out depending on what part of the board your faction starts on. I can only remember using the reading order tie-breaker twice in my first game of Automa, but I can imagine the more pieces on the board, then the more times this rule will become relevant?

Totally not necessary. With 5 or 6 games played against two automas the reading order tiebreaker has not led to any significant hard-done-by/helped-out situations. Flipping reading order for one of the Automas is just going to create busy work without having any real significance to the outcome of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeking7 wrote:

There is also a very convenient search function which will avoid exactly that, and instead lead you to the most relevant posts. You are not alone having a job, family and other stuff I am afraid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike King7
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
boulou wrote:
mikeking7 wrote:

There is also a very convenient search function which will avoid exactly that, and instead lead you to the most relevant posts. You are not alone having a job, family and other stuff I am afraid...

Thanks, that sounded constructive. I was unaware of the convenient search function. Mostly though, I had a specific question that I was looking for an answer to. Rather than read through 12 other posts and piece together what I was looking for, it was more efficient to just ask my question the way I wanted to. People always have the option of answering or not answering a question/post. Thanks again to those who did (without being snarky).
p.s. Glad I'm not the only one with family etc. Lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

MrTroy wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:
As a matter of fact, the solo game has an entirely different design team and production staff!

FWIW, the fact that the automa was developed by an entirely different design team, and comes with a rulebook and manual separate from the core game, does nothing to dispel the idea that the automa is tacked on. To the contrary, focusing on that could lead the reader to come to the conclusion that it is in fact tacked on.

Yes, you have a great point!

I was thinking of "tacked-on" as something being an after-thought and quickly added to the rules at the end of the design cycle. But of course you were correct with your observation!

Thusly I really like your 2nd paragraph, as that does a much better job of saying what I was trying to say:
MrTroy wrote:
The fact (commonly held opinion?) remains that the add-on is not a tack-on job, but rather a lovingly dovetailed extension that is smoothed and adjusted to the point that it is practically seamless with the core game, and mad props to Morten and his team for getting it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

mikeking7 wrote:
There are over 700 posts in the forum for this game. No, I didn't go through every one. I have a job, a family and other hobbies...I appreciate the helpful comments and the link from John though.

Oh come on. Please. I'm sorry if you thought I was expecting you to read each and every of the 700 posts. Far from it. I certainly wouldn't do that, myself.

So to be helpful this time, there is a function found in every forum section, called, "Search". It comes in handy... such as when you're faced with 700 posts and have a question which has probably been asked before.

I just opened the search window and entered, "solo". I also entered, "automa". The results were easy enough to skim through, and in about 3 or 4 minutes I had narrowed-down to several posts which address the question you asked. So of course the notion of going through 700 posts is absurd.

And Oh, I'm sorry if my second sentence didn't help to answer your question. I could've simply stopped after my first sentence if I was being a jerk. And I guess that the link I found for you - to the solo designer's blog - wasn't of any help either.

Edit: Finally, was I snarky with my opening sentence of my first post, above? Yes, I admit that. But as I've gotten older, I have a character flaw where I'm finding myself getting like that more and more when people don't try to help themselves first when asking a popular question.

And about this post ... well, some things I can be quiet about, and for some things I have to say something .... And if I didn't have a life outside of gaming, I'd take the time to write this post with class and dignity. But like the OP, I don't have that kind of time.

Thanks to all who also responded, above!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike King7
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

mikeking7 wrote:
There are over 700 posts in the forum for this game. No, I didn't go through every one. I have a job, a family and other hobbies...I appreciate the helpful comments and the link from John though.

Oh come on. Please. I'm sorry if you thought I was expecting you to read each and every of the 700 posts. Far from it. I certainly wouldn't do that, myself.

So to be helpful this time, there is a function found in every forum section, called, "Search". It comes in handy... such as when you're faced with 700 posts and have a question which has probably been asked before.

I just opened the search window and entered, "solo". I also entered, "automa". The results were easy enough to skim through, and in about 3 or 4 minutes I had narrowed-down to several posts which address the question you asked. So of course the notion of going through 700 posts is absurd.

And Oh, I'm sorry if my second sentence didn't help to answer your question. I could've simply stopped after my first sentence if I was being a jerk. And I guess that the link I found for you - to the solo designer's blog - wasn't of any help either.

Just omit the first sentence next time. Who cares whether I did extensive research or not before posting a question. And...settle down, I appreciated the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

mikeking7 wrote:
Just omit the first sentence next time.

Yes, you have a good point. My snarkiness wasn't necessary. Please see my "Edit:", in my post directly above. I was typing my edit while you were posting.

mikeking7 wrote:
Who cares whether I did extensive research or not before posting a question.

People who take time out of their busy days to answer your question. That's who.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike King7
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

mikeking7 wrote:
Just omit the first sentence next time.

Yes, you have a good point. My snarkiness wasn't necessary. Please see my "Edit:", in my post directly above. I was typing my edit while you were posting.

mikeking7 wrote:
Who cares whether I did extensive research or not before posting a question.

People who take time out of their busy days to answer your question. That's who.

Again, you DO have the option of just letting it pass on by. Did you think you had to respond to every post you read??? If you felt the post was a duplicate, just allow your eyes to move on to the next one. Nobody is ever obligated to "take time out of their busy day" to respond to a post. I think we can agree your retort was weak. Let's just get on with our busy lives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a comment. I posted a link earlier to a thread that I thought was quite relevant to your question.

As a side note. That thread was in the 1 player guild. As you asked the question in the Scythe forum and not the 1 player guild forum, I wasn't sure you would find it. If you are interested in solo gaming, I strongly suggest you look into the guild as a great resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike King7
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you John! Also, thanks again for the link in your first response. That was very helpful and greatly appreciated. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeking7 wrote:
Let's just get on with our busy lives.

Speaking of getting on with our busy lives, I think I can speak for everyone at this point when I suggest that the two of you take this personal disagreement, which at this point has nothing to do with the game, to geekmail. The rest of us aren't really interested in watching you snipe back and forth at each other.

Further discussions about soloing Scythe are welcome however!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike King7
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
reverendunclebastard wrote:
mikeking7 wrote:
Let's just get on with our busy lives.

Speaking of getting on with our busy lives, I think I can speak for everyone at this point when I suggest that the two of you take this personal disagreement, which at this point has nothing to do with the game, to geekmail. The rest of us aren't really interested in watching you snipe back and forth at each other.

Further discussions about soloing Scythe are welcome however!

It had been dead for 3 hours...until you brought it back up. What's wrong with you? It was my post in the first place. Nice offensive name too. Get a life dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.