$15.00
$20.00
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best pure, logic-driven deduction games? (Like Sleuth but not like Hanabi/Resistance/Coup/Letters from Whitechapel/Tragedy Looper)

So no hidden movement, bluffing, and probably no hidden role in the traditional social deduction sense. I want it to be everyone for themselves and just using logic to approach the solution.

Games that tackle what I refer to:
-Sleuth
-Code 777 (I think, havent played)
-Deduce or Die
-Salem

Not sure what else. I think Mystery of the Abbey or Black Vienna may qualify too. Anyway, what is the best one or two of them, among your mental options and the ones Ive listed?

Conditions:
- competitive
- preferably under an hour, 90 minutes tops
- scales well but no particular player counts. No solo.
- something concrete for what we solve and clearly defined (not like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective)
- difficulty wise, adjustable difficulty would be nice but I guess slightly harder and less/no luck?
- pure logic prefferred

If possible, Id also like NO player elimination or official variants for nonplayer elimination. Low/no downtime is preferred strongly too. And the more replayable the better of course, but I think that shouldnt be an issue in deduction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:

Conditions:
- competitive
- something concrete for what we solve and clearly defined (not like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective)
- difficulty wise, adjustable difficulty would be nice but I guess slightly harder and less/no luck?
- pure logic prefferred

If possible, Id also like NO player elimination or official variants for nonplayer elimination. Low/no downtime is preferred strongly too. And the more replayable the better of course, but I think that shouldnt be an issue in deduction games.

Zendo

ECompetitive - check.
EUnder an hour - check.
EScales well - well... kinda. Works for 3-6 players. There is a two player variant as well, but it's a different game with the same basic mechanic.
ESomething concrete - I don't know the Sherlock Holmes game of which you speak, but I believe Zendo fits.
EAdjustable difficulty - check.
ENo luck - There are no dice or shuffled decks of cards, but there is hidden information and you may take a chance and get somethign wrong.
EPure logic - (see previous answer)
ENo player elimincation - check.
ELittle downtime - There is more than enough listening and thinking to do during opponents' turns. There is also the "mondo" option during a turn that involves all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanker wrote:
NowOrNever88 wrote:

Conditions:
- competitive
- pure logic prefferred

Zendo

ECompetitive - check.
EUnder an hour - check.
EScales well - well... kinda. Works for 3-6 players. There is a two player variant as well, but it's a different game with the same basic mechanic.
ESomething concrete - I don't know the Sherlock Holmes game of which you speak, but I believe Zendo fits.
EAdjustable difficulty - check.
ENo luck - There are no dice or shuffled decks of cards, but there is hidden information and you may take a chance and get somethign wrong.
EPure logic - (see previous answer)
ENo player elimincation - check.
ELittle downtime - There is more than enough listening and thinking to do during opponents' turns. There is also the "mondo" option during a turn that involves all players.

I want something more like

Turn 1: clue gained
Turn 2: different clue gained
Turn 17: different clue gained. I get an epiphany and things align.

I know Zendo has this in parts but I want some a bit more rigorous. Also I want something where we are all doing the same thing not 1Vothers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think Str8! may be something to look at... but it's not as brain-burning as Deduce or Die. And the components are really disappointing. But the game is quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Black Vienna most definitely qualifies. If you're curious, check out the following puzzle I published many years ago:

http://www.thegamesjournal.com/puzzles/BlackVienna1.shtml

You might also consider playing a game online at a site I run:

http://www.aleknevicus.com/bv/

There's no AI so you'll need to gather a few friends to play (four players is the preferred number).

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Watson & Holmes: From the Diaries of 221B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Alchemists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Think Str8! has exactly what you want. That said, the components truly are terrible but the game is great.

Also, Alchemists should scratch that itch for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth ....

Mastermind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
plus one for Black Vienna. Fits all your requirements except adjustable difficulty. It's always hard--at least we think so. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Antidote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect Alibi is a lot like Sleuth but adds player powers.

You could also take a look at Mayday!Mayday!. At first glance it looks like another Resistance / Werewolf type of game but actually it's a pretty pure deduction game.

From a game point of view I highly recommend both of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Alchemists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Think Str8! It's an excellent game and pretty much the thing you're looking for.
The components go down in history as the worst imaginable, but doesn't subtract too much from the great design of the game.

Alchemists might work, although I found Think Str8 to be the better deduction game. (I might still like Alchemists more overall, though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Fantôme de l'Opéra

2 players (competitive)
Easy rules
Great components
Language independent
Random board setup
Adjustable difficulty
Relatively short playtime
Fast setup and breakdown
Small table footprint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemists is rad but I wouldn't call it a pure deduction game at all. There a lot more going on beyond the deduction part.

I was going to recommend Zendo and Think Str8, so +1 for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.