$20.00
$5.00
Gabor Venczel
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I apologize for my english, this isn’t my primary language.
Some times ago I never thought I will going to write anything about ASL. I was deeply in love with LnL and though I was tried almost every other tactical systems I always went back to it. I have everything in my collections from LnL ever published. Regarding ASL I was full with the wrong type of stereotypes, overcomplicated, too expensive to get the necessary modules, etc..
But there was always the feeling that something I am missing here..
What I mean by that is during my LnL plays I started to dislike many of the limiting mechanism. Let’s just recoup a few in bullet points:
• You hate the stalemates caused by the spotting rule, when both players just too cautious and just waiting for an enemy get exposed?
• Hate when you as the attacker have to move because there is a strict turn limit and the defender just grinning and passing all his impulses waiting to finish all your moves then shot your units to pieces and they don’t even have a chance to shoot back?
• Hate to left behind a valuable squad with a demo charge or other SW because they are shaken (broken) and they not even have a chance to rally without a leader?
• Hate when your opponent wiping out a whole broken stack with a pity half squad in melee without any chance to defend?
Well there is a magic wand which solve all of this problems and more called ASL : -)
Yes the rules are very complicated and somehow written in a strange language.But there are tons of help out there in the form of tutorial videos and other stuff here in BGG. Plus it is very easy to find opponents at least for online play. Yes the design and art is not comparable to LnL. LnL map and counter art is gorgeous but this beauty has some serious flaws. And no it is not expensive :-) The starter kit is only 25 bucks. Though I still playing LnL especially the modern conflict modules but all in all ASL will be my main tactical game from now. Already ordered starter kit 2 and 3 plus Beyond Valor. The big scary full rulebook I bought along with the starter kit and it is really a lot’s of fun to read. I have to say I am really impressed by the quality and amount of support available for ASL. This is invaluable and you couldn’t get it any other system. So just grab a starter kit and start to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review and welcome in the ASL madhouse !

I play ASL and never played LnL (which I regard as one of the good alternatives to ASL, from the first impressions I have had reading its rules).

I think that both games have their good sides and drawbacks.
I understand that the LnL system has its limiting effects - which frustrates the player's desire to have all his forces obey him at will.
I would say that ASL also can place you in frustrating situations.

Stalemates: isn't that rather a problem of design? If Victory Conditions imply controlling objectives of exiting the map, you cannot sit and wait.

The fact that the attacker often must move, because of timing constraints. is also at the heart of ASL. Risking defensive fire is hardly avoidable.

The broken unit with a precious SW wich doesn't rally can be a pain in ASL: sure, there is the one MMC self rally possibility during your player's turn... but I have had even elite units refusing to self rally (bad dice) in ASL.

Having a whole stack wiped out in CC without any chance of fighting back occurs in ASL too: if Ambush is won by a side, this certainly can happen (in full ASL a 2 DR also possibly prevents simultaneity). If you add insult to injury, Japanese Hand-to-Hand is deadly (HtH has better numbers and the Japanese have -1 DRM).
So Close Combat can be very bloody.

I am glad that you like ASL.
But you will meet its limits and be frustrated by some of its mechanics.
As said, I don't know of LnL precisely, so I cannot measure the level of frustration that it generates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride

When I got back to wargaming some years ago I started with LnL titles. I enjoyed them for a while, but as I had played SL and ASL few decades ago, it always felt like there was something missing. After briefly trying a few other tactical games, finally ordered SK#1 and never looked back (I have moved to full ASL since though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Venczel
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well yes there is no perfect system of course. But ASL is around how long? 30 yeas now? So i would guess most of the design flaws which can be corrected they did already.Regarding the stalemates it is happening too often in LnL, especially in meeting engagements. When you plsy the attacker it is obvious that you need to play more agressively, but in ASL at least you have a chance to shoot back in the Afph, because in LnL you either move or shoot and if you did you done with that unit 'til the next turn. Probably the most shocking thing for me the amount of support in ASL. I was asked a question in a facebook group regarding final fire , within an hour 5 different guys was answered. I said, wow! That's not what i get used to in LnL.. Plus currently all basic modules are Oop since more than 7 months so there is not a chance that a new player can just pick up a copy easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that you're stepping through a potential minefield here . . .

Caught in a no-mans land between the LnL dedicated fans who are not too fond of ASL in any form, and the ASL dedicated fans who are not too fond of ASL SKs . . .

Step lightly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also one of those who tried many other tactical games first, because ASL was so expensive and complex. But eventually I turned around, and I haven't looked back. ASL just works. Starter kits too. I recognize the problem in LnL of the defender waiting for the attacker to spend his units, and then acting with impunity. You have the same problem in Conflict of Heroes. Combat Commander I don't like because I feel so hamstrung by the cards. Not being able to fire when I want etc. It's just not a fun game for me. ASL is always fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin gave a great answer.
Every game has its pros and its cons.
I play many tactical but LnL and ASLSK are my favorites. Right these days I'm reading ASL manual and it's great. I hope I'll step in it shortly.
It depends on type of opponent and time I have.
(..just received OST and waiting for the whole BoB Serie wow ...)
Have fun!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairlight wrote:
Well yes there is no perfect system of course. But ASL is around how long? 30 yeas now? So i would guess most of the design flaws which can be corrected they did already.Regarding the stalemates it is happening too often in LnL, especially in meeting engagements. When you plsy the attacker it is obvious that you need to play more agressively, but in ASL at least you have a chance to shoot back in the Afph, because in LnL you either move or shoot and if you did you done with that unit 'til the next turn.

I've grown up with SL-ASL (not SK) but have played ASL mostly solo. I enjoy it but have found the counter densities make me cave-in earlier on the games than before, but just the fun of getting re-acquainted with the rules (always inspiring to make you want to play) and to push the cardboard targets around is satisfying in this system.

By the same token I try a lot of other tactical games and LNL BoH was one of the ones that got some good play time. But, I wholeheartedly agree on the stalemates, my opponent always waited for me to go in the open first!

- PS I have 50GG for anyone first to post a decent "Faugh A' Ballagh" AAR (A96)! It was may last cave-in. I want to see how I could have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairlight wrote:
Well yes there is no perfect system of course. But ASL is around how long? 30 yeas now? So i would guess most of the design flaws which can be corrected they did already.Regarding the stalemates it is happening too often in LnL, especially in meeting engagements. When you plsy the attacker it is obvious that you need to play more agressively, but in ASL at least you have a chance to shoot back in the Afph, because in LnL you either move or shoot and if you did you done with that unit 'til the next turn. Probably the most shocking thing for me the amount of support in ASL. I was asked a question in a facebook group regarding final fire , within an hour 5 different guys was answered. I said, wow! That's not what i get used to in LnL.. Plus currently all basic modules are Oop since more than 7 months so there is not a chance that a new player can just pick up a copy easily.
I would rather say that the players have adapted to the "design flaws" - which are, at least as written of on this thread, very subjective.
On the question of support, ASL certainly is one of the most active gaming communities.
That indeed is another element which can make someone choose ASL over other systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good post.
And your English is better than most (all?) of our Hungarian, so no worries there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.