Subject: Miniature Market Ra $40 maybe not such a hot daily deal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: less_wood_for_more_cabbage [+] [View All]
Alan Bellamy
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daily deal on miniature market today is Ra at $40. A thread from earlier shows Ra at $34.99 so maybe not such a hot deal today.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/dailynews/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Miniature Market Ra $40 maybe not such a hot deal
Keep an eye on it. Sometimes a short while after they post the hot deal, the price magically comes down.

Pete (already owns Ra so happy hunting everyone else)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bellamy
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Miniature Market Ra $40 maybe not such a hot deal
Just had another look at the funagain thread and their price is back up to $59.99

Thanks for the advice re miniature market price going down, I normally check almost bang on the time the deal goes up as that's about when I start work. Maybe they lower price if they aren't getting the sales for the daily deal and do genuinely want to get rid of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tinpot_creos wrote:
Just had another look at the funagain thread and their price is back up to $59.99

Thanks for the advice re miniature market price going down, I normally check almost bang on the time the deal goes up as that's about when I start work. Maybe they lower price if they aren't getting the sales for the daily deal and do genuinely want to get rid of stock.

He means that sometimes the deal price doesn't kick in right away when the deal is posted. That's not the case here as Ra was ~$50 yesterday and $40 now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanh Nguyen
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I doubt that the price will be lower since I think the regular price was $51 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bellamy
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:
tinpot_creos wrote:

He means that sometimes the deal price doesn't kick in right away when the deal is posted. That's not the case here as Ra was ~$50 yesterday and $40 now.

Ah ok, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
I'm not seeing forty bucks worth of improvement...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:

I don't see any improvement.

Pete (is fixated on the downgrade from wood to cardboard for the bidding tokens)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmodee yuk

I've stayed pretty neutral regarding the price fixing hoopla, but seeing this picture makes ones realize that this would have been a $40 MSRP game or less.

What was the MSRP on the original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:

I don't see any improvement.

Pete (is fixated on the downgrade from wood to cardboard for the bidding tokens)

What ? And they're asking how much ? I paid like $25 for it a decade ago for a version with the chunky wooden blocks. This price hike for games is getting out of hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
$40 is not bad. I'd pay $40 for Ra. Unfortunately, I just spent my quota until Spiele.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Cary
NC
flag msg tools
badge
I hate my stupid username.
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:

I should point out that there are a LOT more tiles/components in the game than the number pictured in the comparison photo above. having said that I'm happy to have a copy of one the earlier editions with the wood bidding tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
$40 is not bad. I'd pay $40 for Ra. Unfortunately, I just spent my quota until Spiele.

$40 isn't the issue. The fact that it's usually $50-$60 is the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbailey wrote:

Considering the whole Asmodee thing, I am surprised offering this for $40 isn't violating that policy... Perhaps there was a concession for flash sales or something, but that ~33% discount off MSRP seems like it would exceed what's allowed.

But yeah, $60 MSRP for this? My mind is a little bit boggled by that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taeryn wrote:
dbailey wrote:

Considering the whole Asmodee thing, I am surprised offering this for $40 isn't violating that policy... Perhaps there was a concession for flash sales or something, but that ~33% discount off MSRP seems like it would exceed what's allowed.

Asmodee does not TECHNICALLY manipulate retail price, they SIMPLY make online retailer pay more for their stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
taeryn wrote:
dbailey wrote:

Asmodee has absolutely no restrictions on pricing. They simply raised wholesale price to online stores. In multiple interviews they have stated they understand the need for sales and won't enforce any minimum pricing restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
Asmodee does not TECHNICALLY manipulate retail price

Keep telling yourself that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
Asmodee does not TECHNICALLY manipulate retail price, they SIMPLY make online retailer pay more for their stock.

I may have misunderstood this, but I was under the impression that Asmodee had decreed online retailers could not offer a game at more than X% discount or they would be cut off from distribution. Maybe I'm confusing that with one of the other publishers though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
geki wrote:
Asmodee does not TECHNICALLY manipulate retail price

Keep telling yourself that.

Seeing as the 2nd edition of Mansions of Madness seems to be an MSRP of $100...

Not to get into a debate about value for money and blah blah, because I'm sure some people will say this new printing of Ra is easily worth $60, but it does feel like there is an MSRP creep. Fair enough for inflation and all that, but FFG new releases costing considerably more than they used to coincidentally after the Asmodee buyout just exacerbates that feeling of being fleeced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
taeryn wrote:
geki wrote:

I may have misunderstood this, but I was under the impression that Asmodee had decreed online retailers could not offer a game at more than X% discount or they would be cut off from distribution. Maybe I'm confusing that with one of the other publishers though.

If you only read the lies propagated on BGG by the forumites you may have reason to believe that. Go to any of the publisher's statements and you will see multiple times they clarify they have no minimum price restrictions. They are just charging online retailers enough more it doesn't make sense for them to discount more than 10-20% normally.

33% is most likely close to cost and just to clear inventory and be a loss leader. Which is what most daily deals are for. It used to be 40-50% off was clearing inventory at cost, but due to the increased wholesale price 33% is the new daily deal discount.

Mayfair has minimum price restrictions. Stonemaier games has minimum price restrictions. EGG has minimum price restrictions on some times and exclusivity deals as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:

The box looks 40% bigger.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
taeryn wrote:
geki wrote:

If you only read the lies propagated on BGG by the forumites you may have reason to believe that. Go to any of the publisher's statements and you will see multiple times they clarify they have no minimum price restrictions. They are just charging online retailers enough more it doesn't make sense for them to discount more than 10-20% normally.

33% is most likely close to cost and just to clear inventory and be a loss leader. Which is what most daily deals are for. It used to be 40-50% off was clearing inventory at cost, but due to the increased wholesale price 33% is the new daily deal discount.

Mayfair has minimum price restrictions. Stonemaier games has minimum price restrictions. EGG has minimum price restrictions on some times and exclusivity deals as well.

You are trying your best, but most likely wasting your time.

Some demographics never absorb, they just rebroadcast what they want to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Davies
msg tools
mbmb
40 is my price for this version and Miniature Market has much better deals on other items to hit free shipping than Funagain did. Picked up this, Raptor, and pre-orders on the new Dice City expansion and Mystic Vale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.E. Pennypacker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe inferior components and jacking up the price is backfiring for Asmodee. Miniature Market might want to get rid of their stock that no one is buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

For me at least, this is actually an example of their policy helping a local brick and mortar store. I am fortunate enough to have a FLGS with no online presence that sells games at 33% off MSRP every day. So it's cheaper for me to buy Asmodee products locally than it is to buy them online. The MM daily deal just matches the local price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.