Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...how good are they? Compared to the official cases, I mean?

Has anyone compiled reviews of most, or all, of them somewhere?

Or, y'know, feel free to chime in with your opinions here. We'll make our own compilation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played "The Slain Scholar" and "The Curzon Street Kidnapping". Both were a little more wordy than the originals, but obviously crafted with love - they were certainly better told stories than a couple in the original game! They were challenging and engaging, and definitely worth playing.

I have just downloaded four more, at least two of which have shiney reviews. However, my two sons are going off on holiday soon, so, as we play as a family, it might be a while before we get to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Caviris
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have all floating around that I can find, but only played Sherlock Holmes and the Baby and The Curzon Street Kidnapping.

The Curzon Street Kidnapping was just as a play test and I don't think it's available yet. I enjoyed it and found it well written. I'd probably agree that it's a little more wordy than the base game, though that wasn't something that bothered me. We didn't finish it for a few different factors. I have the older Sleuth edition. For the most part, it's the same, but one minor difference was that one of the contacts has an assistant, so we went to a clue point, got a lot of information, but from someone we never heard of and didn't expect to find. There were also a few errors on our part were we wrote down or looked up a few locations incorrectly. Because of that, I think I'll just wait until I forget it enough to start over and it's released (I'm not sure, but I think he said he plans on putting it on BGG).

As for Sherlock Holmes and the Baby, I found it fun though a tad underwhelming. It's not like we got everything right, it's just a very short case. It was enjoyable for what it was, but it's just six pages and around 20 clue points. To me the writing on this case also seemed a little dry compared to the base game, though not a huge difference. I'd say it's a good case if you want something light. Message me if you want a hand in finding it. It was originally published in a magazine which I believe is now out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I playtested the Curzon Street Kidnapping and enjoyed it much more than the cases from the base game. I found it to flow nicely and the mystery opened up in a way that made sense, which is nice because the base game was quite the opposite for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.