Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: need help modding a board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kaitlin kaschak
msg tools
ok so my nephew recently found a copy of the board game hero quest complete in box used at a local mom and pop shop for 30$ we enjoy the game alot. any how he and i had this idea to take the dollar tree foam board and use said foam board to make the heroquest game into a sorta 3d dungeon game. we have the foam board, we just have no idea how to glue the foam board to the board game it self. originally we thought of using the super glue that u brush on but, we dont know if that will work any ideas below is a sample picture showing what were trying to acomplish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superglue will probably ruin the printed surface of the board. I'd personally use PVA (aka Elmer's Glue in the USA) as it dries clear, or contact adhesive sparingly (but test it first on a small corner of the board - it still might damage the surface).

Due to the soft core of the foamboard, you could also push pins up through the game board and into the foamboard. Either as a method on it's own, or in combination with glue for extra sturdiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PVA glue (Wood glue) is the best solution, it works perfectly with foamboard and cardboard.

One issue with making the walls 3D with Heroquest is that it makes playing on the board quite fiddly especially once there are a lot of monsters/players in a room. The minis tend to take up a little more room than the squares allow for and by having solid walls means they won't always fit on the board that great.

May I suggest, that before you permanently affix anything to the board, you just glue the wall sections together and try them out free floating to ensure it doesn't get in the way for you?

Also not quite sure how you intend to do the doors, as these change positions on the rooms.

Good luck and would be interested in seeing some photos of whatever you end up with. Just make sure you test things out first as it can be a somewhat hard game to replace these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally love "Elmer's Craft Bond Puzzle Glue and Sealant". It dries clear and is easy to work with. It has a nice angled neck and a cloth mesh tip for smoother application. It is reasonably fast drying but still offers enough time to shift things around if you apply a thick coat. Unlike some adhesives this does not dissolve printed ink or paper. No rack residue and gives your finished work a nice protective layer if used as a top coat. I've made several complete board games with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally wouldnt glue anything to the board.
What happens if it doesnt work?

Way around it:
find a digital copy of the board (or scan the board)
Print it out, spray glue on a foam board(or any cardboard) and ta da! you have a board you can work with, and if you stuff it up, just print it out and do it again.

Just an opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
feraswheel wrote:

Way around it:
Print it out, spray glue on a foam board(or any cardboard) and ta da! you have a board you can work with, and if you stuff it up, just print it out and do it again.

Just an opinion

If you use this method (which sounds like a great idea) print the board oversize and the miniatures will have more room to play in when you get the wall up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
feraswheel wrote:

Way around it:

Just an opinion

If you use this method (which sounds like a great idea) print the board oversize and the miniatures will have more room to play in when you get the wall up.

Unless she already done the walls, then his kinda stuck with the original size

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to use the original board, there's no real need to glue the walls to the board. If the walls are attached to each other, they'll be strong enough that you can just sit them on the board. This has the added benefit of making the clean up easier. However I like the best idea of printing an oversized copy of the board and attaching that to card and then some oversized walls for the ultimate mods cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd not glue anything to the board. You will have problems with the doors, but also with expansions that have overlays that will 'connect' room. Not sure what the best way is here, but with glue you are severly limiting your choices for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kaitlin kaschak
msg tools
thanks for the reply any idea on where in the usa i can buy PVA WOOD GLUE also do i need a specific kind of wood glue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
PVA is just a generic term for a variety of mostly "white" (sometimes light brown) glues that include Wood Glue, Elmers and the "Tacky" craft glues you can buy at craft shops.

I'd avoid the classic school type of Elmers glues as they have a higher water content so they are more prone to warpage and take longer to dry. I've used a variety of Tacky craft glues and wood glues and they all work pretty much the same. I'm personally rather fond of Tacky glues. They are very thick and stay put better than most others.

Wood glue is fine too. It's a bit more runny than Tacky, but still plenty thick.

Tacky glue is at any craft store and Wood glue can be bought at any hardware or home repair store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you get a sheet of thin clear plastic to go between the maze and the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
feraswheel wrote:

Way around it:

Just an opinion

I was thinking this same thing. Even without the foam walls, Hero Quest can get really cramped in places. Definitely something to think about. It will look cool, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.