Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Avid Euro Gamer
badge
Novice Board Game Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering what would happen if there were some unique abilities in each character that would change a bit the outcomes of their reactions in the various quests ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tdakanalis wrote:
I am wondering what would happen if there were some unique abilities in each character that would change a bit the outcomes of their reactions in the various quests ?

I think we're slowly moving towards what computer games used to already do twenty-thirty years ago, where your skills and decisions impact the story flow. I hope this is well developed in Near and Far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an idea:
If you play a short game every player can buy talents. The first five experience points are free and every other does cost 2 victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea, but it would require dozens if not hundreds of hours of additional play testing, I would think? Plus possibly having to revise around 100 pages of the storybook!

example: What if adding a character ability, combined with a new talent, totally "breaks" the game by map 4 of a Campaign? A response of "the rich get richer", not because the player was particularly skilled, but because one of their characters started with one attribute, duplicated it by map 2, tripled by map 3, so by map 4 they are waaaaay OP each time that attribute comes into play...?

I'm all for variable player powers/variable character powers, but the variables in a story game like this might make things unbalanced very quickly.

Love the idea, and honestly, it might not be unbalanced at all, but I would worry about it without having it thoroughly tested. Definitely worth exploring once the game is my grubby hands!

~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.