9 Posts

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: How many turns in each era? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flavio Rangel
Brazil
flag msg tools
I'm willing to know this: how many turns in average do players get to play in each era? It feels like eras II and III go faster because of the higher amount of civil actions players usually have, and therefore they take more cards from the row. Has anyone measured that already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flávio O
msg tools
mbmb
My last 2-player game had 20 rounds in total.
I don't know if it's always the case but mine was 6 rounds for I/II/III and 1 round for A and IV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyvsmonkey wrote:
My last 2-player game had 20 rounds in total.
I don't know if it's always the case but mine was 6 rounds for I/II/III and 1 round for A and IV.

This is true across all player counts. Games are almost always 19-21 turns and 20 seems the most common. Evenly spread over eras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That surprises me. Age III always seems short as players have more civil actions and can therefore draft more cards, pushing the game clock along quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If no one buys cards in a 2- or 3-player game, 6 cards get discarded each round (2 * 3 or 3 * 2), but only 4 cards in a 4-player game. This would lead to the maximum number of rounds. I suspect 4-player games are the least common, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
alenen wrote:

This is true across all player counts. Games are almost always 19-21 turns and 20 seems the most common. Evenly spread over eras.

It's been closer to 18-20 turns in my 100+ games. Less turns with more players. I regularly play 3-4p, though most of my first 40 or so games were 2p.

We pretty consistently hit Age III by the 13th turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
If no one buys cards in a 2- or 3-player game, 6 cards get discarded each round (2 * 3 or 3 * 2), but only 4 cards in a 4-player game. This would lead to the maximum number of rounds. I suspect 4-player games are the least common, though.

4 Player is the only way I really want to play TTA. The pacts are more balanced, and the need snipe cards is typically a little higher too. Time to play the game is most certainly not a problem either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
That surprises me. Age III always seems short as players have more civil actions and can therefore draft more cards, pushing the game clock along quicker.

The additional CAs in Ages II and III are often used to draft cards from further back on the card row than more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:

4 Player is the only way I really want to play TTA. The pacts are more balanced, and the need snipe cards is typically a little higher too. Time to play the game is most certainly not a problem either.

This.

A1 & 2 are about 6 rounds each. A3 is 5 generally

Usually end at 19-20 on BGO since it counts the last round. 18 can happen too if multiple people draft a lot of cards toward the end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.