The Champion Of The Wild» Forums » General

Subject: SPEED EVENTS - prototype and suggested rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
Below are the event titles and descriptions for the Speed events included in the Animal Games prototype along with all suggestions meeting the criteria as specified in the FAQ.

The flying and water provisions for the prototype events can be seen in the free Print n Play file under 'Files'.

Alternative Speed events suggested by backers in the Kickstarter project comments will be listed here. Please make any event suggestions in the Kickstarter project comments tab first before mentioning them here to ensure they are listed under your name.

Please ‘Recommend’ the events you like by clicking the green “Thumbs-up” button next to the event's individual entry below the main list.

If your event suggestion is not listed here, either it did not fulfil the suggestion criteria (see project FAQ) or we may not have got round to posting it yet. Feel free to contact me on BGG or Kickstarter if it has been more than 3 days in case I have missed something.

Speed events

1) 100m sprint – Animals race over 100m on a standard outdoor athletics track

2) Ice slide - Animals run up (on an athletics track) to the edge of a large sheet of ice and launch themselves on to it aiming to slide as far as possible. No purposeful body movement is allowed after entering the iced area

3) Body part speed - Animals have one minute to make any part of their body move as fast as possible. All animals must start from the ground

4) Individual dodge - A machine fires tennis balls at animals at gradually increasing speeds, firing one ball every second. Each animal's score is recorded as the time survived without being hit. For animal's competing underwater, foam-tipped harpoons are used in place of tennis balls

5) Spinning on the spot - Animals must complete 50 complete spins (around any chosen axis) as quickly as possible

6) 110m hurdles - Animals race over 110m on a standard outdoor athletics track. The event selector can decide whether the hurdles are relative to each animal's height or all the same height. They should also decide if there is a penalty for fallen hurdles

7) 50m swim - Animals race one length of a standard 50m swimming pool

8) 200m run/swim/run - Animals race over 600m including a 200m run, a 200m swim and then a further 200m run, with the overground portions on a standard outdoor athletics track

9) 400m sprint - Animals race over 400 metres on a standard outdoor athletics track

10) 10m sprint - Animals race over 10 metres on a standard outdoor athletics track

See below for individual event entries (please 'quote' these when commenting on them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 1

100m sprint – Animals race over 100m on a standard outdoor athletics track
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 2

Ice slide - Animals run up (on an athletics track) to the edge of a large sheet of ice and launch themselves on to it aiming to slide as far as possible. No purposeful body movement is allowed after entering the iced area
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 3

Body part speed - Animals have one minute to make any part of their body move as fast as possible. All animals must start from the ground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 4

Individual dodge - A machine fires tennis balls at animals at gradually increasing speeds, firing one ball every second. Each animal's score is recorded as the time survived without being hit. For animal's competing underwater, foam-tipped harpoons are used in place of tennis balls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 5

Spinning on the spot - Animals must complete 50 complete spins (around any chosen axis) as quickly as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 6

110m hurdles - Animals race over 110m on a standard outdoor athletics track. The event selector can decide whether the hurdles are relative to each animal's height or all the same height. They should also decide if there is a penalty for fallen hurdles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 7

50m swim - Animals race one length of a standard 50m swimming pool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 8

200m run/swim/run
- Animals race over 600m including a 200m run, a 200m swim and then a further 200m run, with the overground portions on a standard outdoor athletics track
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 9

400m sprint - Animals race over 400 metres on a standard outdoor athletics track
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
SPEED EVENT 10

10m sprint - Animals race over 10 metres on a standard outdoor athletics track
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism on these events. I love the concept of this game, as it stokes the fires of my imagination, but when I read through the event lists, especially these speed ones I felt that imagination somewhat stifled.

Here is some feedback/suggestions I hope you will take as intended.

_teece_ wrote:

2) Ice slide - Animals run up (on an athletics track) to the edge of a large sheet of ice and launch themselves on to it aiming to slide as far as possible. No purposeful body movement is allowed after entering the iced area

I see what you're going for here, but it's such a wordy description. I feel like it would be far better to think of a real world sports event that gives the same kind of result as you're looking for without the explanation, such as 'Ski jump (without the skis)' or just straight 'ice-skating'

Quote:
3) Body part speed - Animals have one minute to make any part of their body move as fast as possible. All animals must start from the ground

How about a game of 'Snap'. Same end result, but makes for a funnier visual and doesn't need the explanation.

Quote:
4) Individual dodge - A machine fires tennis balls at animals at gradually increasing speeds, firing one ball every second. Each animal's score is recorded as the time survived without being hit. For animal's competing underwater, foam-tipped harpoons are used in place of tennis balls

It's okay, but you've already got dodgeball and paintball elsewhere which are similar.

Quote:
5) Spinning on the spot - Animals must complete 50 complete spins (around any chosen axis) as quickly as possible

Hula-hooping maybe? Not quite the same, but it's a real world thing that gives a similar result and is pretty funny to consider.

Quote:
6) 110m hurdles - Animals race over 110m on a standard outdoor athletics track. The event selector can decide whether the hurdles are relative to each animal's height or all the same height. They should also decide if there is a penalty for fallen hurdles

This is a good one, but I think there should definitely be a penalty for fallen hurdles.

Quote:
9) 400m sprint - Animals race over 400 metres on a standard outdoor athletics track

10) 10m sprint - Animals race over 10 metres on a standard outdoor athletics track

These 2 plus the 100m Sprint are all a bit too samey for me.

How about an Obstacle Course? I'm thinking like the one they use for military training.

What about a digging race? Perhaps to uncover buried treasure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi Troy.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lots of fair points. After a certain amount of time thinking of events I think your brain does just freeze so glad for another pair of eyes to critically appraise!

I particularly like the idea of hula hooping! Comical images flood your mind whatever animal you think of really.

Thanks again. I'll add your suggestions to the first forum entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_teece_ wrote:
Hi Troy.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lots of fair points. After a certain amount of time thinking of events I think your brain does just freeze so glad for another pair of eyes to critically appraise!

I particularly like the idea of hula hooping! Comical images flood your mind whatever animal you think of really.

Thanks again. I'll add your suggestions to the first forum entry.

I was watching a bit of the Olympics today and it occurred to me that Table Tennis would work well instead of the body part speed/Snap idea. Those guys have amazing reflexes!

Also here's a fun alternative to the Ice Slide...Animal Curling. The animals can push another one of the kind down the ice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Clare
msg tools
designer
publisher
WakandaMan wrote:

I was watching a bit of the Olympics today and it occurred to me that Table Tennis would work well instead of the body part speed/Snap idea. Those guys have amazing reflexes!

Also here's a fun alternative to the Ice Slide...Animal Curling. The animals can push another one of the kind down the ice!

Love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.