Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules D
United Kingdom
Annan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I downloaded the app, to have a look, and noticed that the game comes with four scenarios. I haven't played them through without the board game because I didn't want to spoil the surprise, but four isn't very many.

I just hope that the expansions from version one MoM get re-released, as at the moment they are very expensive and hard to get. I'd like to know what FF plans are for the future of MoM?

As someone who doesn't own version one, I feel a bit left behind on content.

I have pre-ordered the game, as I enjoyed version one when I played a friend's copy so have invested myself into the franchise, but similar to Time Stories, it has the feeling of when it's done, it's done.

If anyone is going to Fantasy Flight's Inflight Report at Gen Con, I wonder if future plans do come up for their line up of games? Please could you post it here. As a brit, it's a bit of a walk for me.

kind regards

Julian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you own the Basic set for 1st Edition?

If you do, then I strongly suggest you go to the game site here in BBG and skim through the File section looking for fan made scenarios. Plenty of content there available as of right now and for free and believe me, most of them way better than any of the official 1st Edition published scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG are known for never releasing expansions for any of their games, so I guess once you've played each of the included scenarios once you just throw the game away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
FFG are known for never releasing expansions for any of their games, so I guess once you've played each of the included scenarios once you just throw the game away.

I believe the guy is asking about reprints of 1st Edition material Chris, which afraid the answer is "forget about it" anyway. Not about expansions for 2nd Ed.

Gosh, you brits are kind of jumpy on each other lately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it so hard to understand that people want to know what the plan of action is?

I'm quite unwilling to shell out 100 bucks for a game with 4 scenarios, if I know that additional scenarios will cost extra. It all comes down to "what is it worth to you", I know, and that is something everyone has to decide for themselves, but it does not hurt to have a little bit more information. All people have done in the last few threads is to ask those that visit GenCon and the appropriate panels and/or have more information to share a little bit. Just to know where they stand.

This negativity-loaded sarcasm is the last thing people want. Seriously, if you don't have anything useful or positive to say, just shut the hell up, Chris. No matter how well-known your name in the MoM fora might be, it does not give you the right to ridicule people here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

I believe the guy is asking about reprints of 1st Edition material Chris, which afraid the answer is "forget about it" anyway. Not about expansions for 2nd Ed.

I don't think he was. It sounds like he was asking about expansions for 2nd Ed but was getting confused about the fact that 1st Ed scenarios are not being converted to 2nd Ed.

Quote:
Gosh, you brits are kind of jumpy on each other lately...

Must be the Brexit vote. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, only content from 1st edition that can be used with second are tiles, investigators and monsters.

Scenarios, items, puzzles and other components of 1st ed. are NOT compatible with the second edition.

At the moment app has 4 scenarios, but I am sure that FFG is going to release new scenarios and expansions on a frequent basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:

At the moment app has 4 scenarios, but I am sure that FFG is going to release new scenarios and expansions on a frequent basis.

While that is very likely true (if the game doesn't tank, which is highly unlikely), it is still unclear if said "new scenarios" will have to be paid for additionally.
I guess so - why should a company provide anything for free, if it can sell it? So we will probably be looking at IAP for new scenarios, if they won't be published in conjunction with new "material" expansions...

Which, incidentally, would make this new edition less and less interesting to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Reid666 wrote:

While that is very likely true (if the game doesn't tank, which is highly unlikely), it is still unclear if said "new scenarios" will have to be paid for additionally.
I guess so - why should a company provide anything for free, if it can sell it? (...)
I suppose some will be free and some will be paid. This was the case with previous apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
I suppose some will be free and some will be paid. This was the case with previous apps.

Oh, that is useful information to have. I have not hade the experience of other app-connected gameplay with FFG titles, so far. Can you elaborate on your experience a little, regarding this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Is it so hard to understand that people want to know what the plan of action is?

I'm quite unwilling to shell out 100 bucks for a game with 4 scenarios, if I know that additional scenarios will cost extra. It all comes down to "what is it worth to you", I know, and that is something everyone has to decide for themselves, but it does not hurt to have a little bit more information. All people have done in the last few threads is to ask those that visit GenCon and the appropriate panels and/or have more information to share a little bit. Just to know where they stand.

This negativity-loaded sarcasm is the last thing people want. Seriously, if you don't have anything useful or positive to say, just shut the hell up, Chris. No matter how well-known your name in the MoM fora might be, it does not give you the right to ridicule people here!

You're right - I'm sorry. I forget that many people probably aren't as familiar with FFG's games and practices as those that inhabit this board on an almost permanent basis (such as myself).

So yes - expansions are a certainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
FFG are known for never releasing expansions for any of their games
This is why we can't have orcs and dwarves for Runewars btw. angry
(It's also why we can't have nice things)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - seriously wasn't expecting this answer. Especially after my own choice of words was subpar...
Thank you, Chris.

I know myself how hard it is to answer the umpteenth question regarding the same thing still with enough professionalism and kindness, much less questions that (to people more in the know etc.) seem stupid. My turf has been the Robinson Crusoe fora, same as these have been for you. And I was also glad for people who took me down a peg or two, when I lost it (happened a few times)...
...stupid real life getting in the way, winding us up, and all...

Also, I never said it til now, so - thanks for all the help you provided (and most likely still provide) in the MoM fora. Made me enjoy the game much more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dumon wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

Oh, that is useful information to have. I have not hade the experience of other app-connected gameplay with FFG titles, so far. Can you elaborate on your experience a little, regarding this?

The Mini-Campaign "Rise of all Goblins" and the full campaign "Kindred Fire (with more over 13 different scenarios) for the Descent app "Road to legend" were released for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Wow - seriously wasn't expecting this answer. Especially after my own choice of words was subpar...
Thank you, Chris.

I know myself how hard it is to answer the umpteenth question regarding the same thing still with enough professionalism and kindness, much less questions that (to people more in the know etc.) seem stupid. My turf has been the Robinson Crusoe fora, same as these have been for you. And I was also glad for people who took me down a peg or two, when I lost it (happened a few times)...
...stupid real life getting in the way, winding us up, and all...

Also, I never said it til now, so - thanks for all the help you provided (and most likely still provide) in the MoM fora. Made me enjoy the game much more!

No worries.

I really feel there should be an FAQ pinned to the top of each forum with the answers to the most commonly-asked questions. Would cut down on this a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exilfranke wrote:
Dumon wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

The Mini-Campaign "Rise of all Goblins" and the full campaign "Kindred Fire (with more over 13 different scenarios) for the Descent app "Road to legend" were released for free.

Rise of all Goblins was always meant to be free as a taster to get people hooked. Kindred Fire was originally meant to be paid but was changed to free due to the massive rise in sales of physical products that Road to Legend prompted. I very much doubt that any further campaigns will be released for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologise for my slightly grumpy tone below, a number of similar prior comments triggered this.

<sigh> Poor old FFG can't win can they? If they'd bought out 2nd Ed and made 1st Ed completely redundant there'd be uproar. Instead they supported the game's fan community by incorporating the important bits of 1st Ed that many people have invested in, and now those who didn't bother to invest are crying that that's not fair.

Is it possible to get left behind when the base game isn't out yet? Yes, those with 1st Ed will get more variety, but not more scenarios. The app brings replayability to the four scenarios by adding random layouts and monsters, and very likely plot twists as we had in 1st Ed.

Who knows what FFGs' plans are, but my not very well considered guesswork is:
– Add scenarios to the app and charge a nominal fee for them, maybe some for free.
– Bring out expansions adding tiles, monsters, cards and associated free app scenarios.
– Put out a pack of 1st Ed stuff. Let's face it, they're in this business to make money, they have it all ready to go bar the repackaging and it seems that there's a demand for it.

Excitedly wait for the game to arrive, enjoy it for what it is and look forward to expansions. I mean, there's a 4-6hr replayable scenario in the app – that should keep us busy for awhile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

Road to Legend app for Descent, features two campaigns, both of which are free. The second one was released few months after the app release.
The app is still fresh, I suppose some paid campaigns will appear sooner or later.

Elder Sign: Omens game (fully electronic this time) was updated both with paid and free scenarios while it was supported.
I hope I recalled the above correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In regard to the OP, I just want to mention that 1st edition just came with 5 scenarios where the structure was always identical and the story could only slightly be modified for replayability. This was 5 years ago. Quite a while before games like Time Stories came out.
The price was also high back then. Additional scenarios were released in different formats with different price tags.
So in the end: anything could happen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules D
United Kingdom
Annan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I didn't mean to cause problems. My mistake for asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kallistosprom wrote:
Sorry I didn't mean to cause problems. My mistake for asking.

Oh no, you don't.
There is never anything wrong with asking, so don't apologize for it!
Fora are here to help people. Even if it is the umpteenth time a question is asked, or it seems stupid in the eyes of a reader, here.
That said, you can catch someone on the wrong foot, sometimes, or a bad day. Most will not mean it the way they said it, in the end...

So ask any questions you like.
You're always among friends here (even the awkward uncle and the grumpy old guy are friends)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Dumon wrote:

I'm quite unwilling to shell out 100 bucks for a game with 4 scenarios, if I know that additional scenarios will cost extra.

Having 1E doesn't add any extra scenarios, just mixes up the monsters and tiles a bit.

There's almost certain to be new scenarios, I'd expect a few free ones but mostly paid via in app purchases or physical expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Kallistosprom wrote:
So I downloaded the app, to have a look, and noticed that the game comes with four scenarios. I haven't played them through without the board game because I didn't want to spoil the surprise, but four isn't very many.

I just hope that the expansions from version one MoM get re-released, as at the moment they are very expensive and hard to get. I'd like to know what FF plans are for the future of MoM?

As someone who doesn't own version one, I feel a bit left behind on content.

I have pre-ordered the game, as I enjoyed version one when I played a friend's copy so have invested myself into the franchise, but similar to Time Stories, it has the feeling of when it's done, it's done.

If anyone is going to Fantasy Flight's Inflight Report at Gen Con, I wonder if future plans do come up for their line up of games? Please could you post it here. As a brit, it's a bit of a walk for me.

kind regards

Julian

From what I understand, each of the 4 scenarios will have randomized monster, mystery, and search tokens, as well as randomized mansion tile placement. So while there will only be 4 different (branching) storylines from the base 2nd edition, there will still be a fair amount of replayability.

Also, the 1st edition games will not increase the number of available scenarios at all. I could be wrong. But I think they just add extra components to the random monster and mansion tile (and investigator) pools. There will still only be 4 scenarios avaiable until 2nd edition expansions are released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Of course, now clicking numerous times through all scenarios to determine the replayability will kill any replayability when you actually play the game. Just a friendly reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:

From what I understand, each of the 4 scenarios will have randomized monster, mystery, and search tokens, as well as randomized mansion tile placement. So while there will only be 4 different (branching) storylines from the base 2nd edition, there will still be a fair amount of replayability.

Okay.
In the MoM 1.0 core box we had 5 scenarios (leaving aside any quibbles as to some being no fun) and 3 objectives each (leaving aside any quibbles as to some being unplayable or imbalanced or not fun). Making it 15 different (okay, debatable, but IN THEORY) scenarios/experiences/storyline-unfoldings. With only five unique "setups" (by setup I mean layout and roaming monsters/NPCs).

Here we have 4 scenarios with multivariate setups.
...can we expect each scenario to have multiple objectives, also?
Because, if not, the "exploratory" aspect of each scenario goes down the drain, once you played it for the first time. While locations and monsters might differ, it then becomes only a matter of "where are those important things I need to finish the objective I already know". And even if the objective is constructed in a way that makes it dependent on the variable aspects ("Prevent the NPC with the key from being killed as well as moving or being moved out of the house until the Army arrives."), it still takes the fun out of it.

Now, if there are multiple (say, 3) objectives to each scenario, in addition with variable setups, it becomes a deduction game, like it was in MoM 1.0.
"Is it the person with the key, this time? Or the one killing the cat? And do we keep her safe and in the house, sacrifice her in a purification ritual (in which room?), or get her out of the house as quickly as possible?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.