Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Concession speeches. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the conventions are over and most likely Hillary Clinton or (maybe) Donald Trump will be elected president in November. Assuming we don't have a 2000-esque election, someone is going to lose.

If Clinton loses and has to give a concession speech, I find it highly unlikely that it is anything other than a typical bland concession speech. It could have some noteworthy moments though.

Trump on the other hand. Would he even give a speech? Would it be like the Palin speech of '08 only turned up to 11? Could it be so vile, hate-filled, racist, etc. that the networks actually have to cutaway from it? Does Trump go full Nelson from The Simpsons and say: "Ha ha! This was all a big joke to ensure that Hillary gets elected!"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Palin gave a consession speech? What was it? 'Sorry I burried the ticket?'
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume Trump brings up voter fraud, particularly in Florida or swing states where he is up in polling and then loses by a large margin.

I also assume he sets his kids up for a run, no idea which one. Ivanka would be the obvious choice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Palin gave a consession speech? What was it? 'Sorry I burried the ticket?'

Only in some twisted alternate universe did 2008 Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin deliver a concession speech.

Although she wanted to deliver a concession speech on Election Night 2008 in our own universe, Palin apparently was blithely ignorant of the fact that traditionally, Vice Presidential candidates don't deliver concession speeches.

The following scenes from HBO's docudrama "Game Change" based on the book of the same name co-written by McCain/Palin 2008 campaign manager Steve Schmidt detail the behind-the-scenes intrigue that developed over Palin's bound-and-determined efforts on Election Night 2008 to deliver a concession speech anyway. (Steve Schmidt is played by Woody Harrelson.)

Special Note: Although the video picture may appear blank, the scene will run when clicked.






In the following brutally honest interview with Steve Schmidt from MSNBC's "Morning Joe", Steve Schidt elaborates about that behind-the-scenes drama that he witnessed on a day-to-day basis with Palin on the 2008 Campaign Trail.






Irony of irony, although she didn't deliver a concession speech on Election Night 2008, Sarah Palin was greeted by a hail of boos and jeers from McCain supporter when he mentioned Palin by name.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can this be verified? It's a portrayal with actors of the events of the 2008 election.



It looks like palin didn't want to follow democratic tradition to concede in 2008.



Interview on the topic here.

He's a bit evasive on his personal responsibility with regard to choosing palin. He validates the events of the movie.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


maxo-texas wrote:
Can this be verified? It's a portrayal with actors of the events of the 2008 election.



It looks like palin didn't want to follow democratic tradition to concede in 2008.



Interview on the topic here.

He's a bit evasive on his personal responsibility with regard to choosing palin. He validates the events of the movie.

Yes, Steve Schmidt was played by Woody Harrelson in the "Game Change" movie. He confirmed and verified that it captured the essence of the truth of the behind-the-scenes drama of the McCain/Palin campaign fairly authentically.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edgerunner76 wrote:
So, the conventions are over and most likely Hillary Clinton or (maybe) Donald Trump will be elected president in November. Assuming we don't have a 2000-esque election, someone is going to lose.

If Clinton loses and has to give a concession speech, I find it highly unlikely that it is anything other than a typical bland concession speech. It could have some noteworthy moments though.

Trump on the other hand. Would he even give a speech? Would it be like the Palin speech of '08 only turned up to 11? Could it be so vile, hate-filled, racist, etc. that the networks actually have to cutaway from it? Does Trump go full Nelson from The Simpsons and say: "Ha ha! This was all a big joke to ensure that Hillary gets elected!"


I think Trump's concession speech will be the point in which he pulls down his pants and moons the audience on live TV.

Hillary's concession speech, on the other hand, may involve drinking kitten blood!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect we can look to Hillary's concession speech to Obama in 2008.

Just as she lined up behind and for the good of the party, she'll line up behind and for the good of the country. She respects the traditions and precedents of our country.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I assume Trump brings up voter fraud, particularly in Florida or swing states where he is up in polling and then loses by a large margin.

I also assume he sets his kids up for a run, no idea which one. Ivanka would be the obvious choice.



Check the latest polls, Florida is a virtual tie.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/fl/fl...

And basically you are saying that what America needs now is the privileged children of a mentally unstable bigot to lead them. Does fit in with your motif though

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I assume Trump brings up voter fraud, particularly in Florida or swing states where he is up in polling and then loses by a large margin.


He's already saying he thinks the election will be rigged against him.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I assume Trump brings up voter fraud, particularly in Florida or swing states where he is up in polling and then loses by a large margin.


He's already saying he thinks the election will be rigged against him.


Rigged in favor of a sliver of rationality and common sense. It's a conspiracy to make sure a candidate having 3 or 4 listed conditions in the DSM-IV doesn't win.

It's a damn travesty.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Check the latest polls, Florida is a virtual tie.


Extremely bad news for Clinton. Assuming this stays, then trump wins Florida. Most people wont admit to voting for Trump in poll or with friends. But in the booth in private, I bet he picks up numbers higher then his polling.


Kumitedad wrote:
And basically you are saying that what America needs now is the privileged children of a mentally unstable bigot to lead them.


I did ? where did I say that ? Oh no, I am more in line with getting the wife of a former leader in to office Perone style ! Becasue nothing says qualified like standing by your man !

Kumitedad wrote:
Does fit in with your motif though


Whats my motif ? I would love to hear this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I assume Blow Hard brings up voter fraud, particularly in Florida or swing states where he is up in polling and then loses by a large margin.


He's already saying he thinks the election will be rigged against him.
Yes; I was wrong about this. For months now, I've assumed that he would simply blame others for his loss. I thought that he would blame the GOP for not supporting him completely, Ted for snubbing him in Ted's RNC speech and even the electorate for not seeing the world the way he does.

There'll probably be some of that, but the focus will likely be on the 'rigged' system. Of course, the truth is that Trump is running a shitty campaign. He could have ran a better campaign, but his campaign falls egregiously short on so many levels: fundraising, organization, party support and public perception. Terrible, terrible campaigning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect Trump to make a speech saying he has won something (I can't figure what he would point out though) and now he has no longer interest in the election.

A little like his "I said that the primaries are rigged ... well, now that I have won I no longer care about it" (video extract here).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
If it's anything like his tweets on election night 2012, it'll be a doozy.

Donald Trump Freaks Out on Twitter After Obama Wins Election

Of course, there's always the possibility that some of his aides will tackle him, tie him up, and shove him in a closet until the moment passes...if it ever does.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Ryan, just today, with what I think Al Franken called The Comedy of Understatement:

“He’s had a pretty strange run since the convention,” Ryan said on WTAQ radio in Green Bay. “You would think that we want to be focusing on Hillary Clinton, on all of her deficiencies. She is such a weak candidate that one would think that we would be on offense against Hillary Clinton, and it is distressing that that’s not what we’re talking about these days.”

You can practically smell the day-drinking.

At this rate I think Trump can be baited into campaigning in DC, CA, or maybe even in Hawaii to look for that crafty Obama's birth certificate. Somebody should probably ask him if he's willing to use nuclear weapons on Mexico if they keep sending the rapists over.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
Although she wanted to deliver a concession speech on Election Night 2008 in our own universe, Palin apparently was blithely ignorant of the fact that traditionally, Vice Presidential candidates don't deliver concession speeches.

The following scenes from HBO's docudrama "Game Change" based on the book of the same name co-written by McCain/Palin 2008 campaign manager Steve Schmidt detail the behind-the-scenes intrigue that developed over Palin's bound-and-determined efforts on Election Night 2008 to deliver a concession speech anyway. (Steve Schmidt is played by Woody Harrelson.)


From your video:
Schmidt says "You’re not giving a speech because the vice presidential candidate has never given a concession speech on election night."

A link to a transcript of Geraldine Ferraro's concession speech given on the evening of Nov 6, 1984, as published in the Nov 7 issue of the New York Times
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Check the latest polls, Florida is a virtual tie.


Extremely bad news for Clinton. Assuming this stays, then trump wins Florida. Most people wont admit to voting for Trump in poll or with friends. But in the booth in private, I bet he picks up numbers higher then his polling.


Two errors in your inherent assumptions: 1. Trump outperformed the pundits' predictions in the primaries, but he did not outperform the polls. 2. Trump voters have demonstrated themselves to be more outspoken, not bashful about their support.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


damiangerous wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
Although she wanted to deliver a concession speech on Election Night 2008 in our own universe, Palin apparently was blithely ignorant of the fact that traditionally, Vice Presidential candidates don't deliver concession speeches.

The following scenes from HBO's docudrama "Game Change" based on the book of the same name co-written by McCain/Palin 2008 campaign manager Steve Schmidt detail the behind-the-scenes intrigue that developed over Palin's bound-and-determined efforts on Election Night 2008 to deliver a concession speech anyway. (Steve Schmidt is played by Woody Harrelson.)


From your video:
Schmidt says "You’re not giving a speech because the vice presidential candidate has never given a concession speech on election night."

A link to a transcript of Geraldine Ferraro's concession speech given on the evening of Nov 6, 1984, as published in the Nov 7 issue of the New York Times

The New York Times headline also refers to what Ferraro delivered as a "talk", not a speech -- even though what Ferraro said does sound scripted.

It's more than apparent that unlike both John McCain and Sarah Plain, both Walter Mondale and Jerri Ferraro were not at the same location on that Election Night 1984. So there was no perception created of a Vice Presidential candidate trying to eclipse her Presidential running mate.

Notably, I was unable to find any video news clip of Ferraro's alleged concession speech. Since, according to the article, the New York Times reporter had captured the content of what Ferraro said using a tape recorder, it's apparent that the Ferraro campaign prepared no advance press release containing the content of what she said to hand out to any assembled press there.

Since the overwhelming great majority of the press had already been assembled at the location where Walter Mondale was at, I infer what Ferraro said was for the benefit of her campaign workers. Again, the New York Times referred to it as a "talk", not a speech.

So, when Republican campaign manager Steve Schmidt told Sarah Palin, “No losing Vice Presidential nominee has ever given a concession speech”, he also was evidently correct in a different sense altogether, for no Vice Presidential candidate assembled at the same site as his Presidential running mate on Election Night had ever risen to deliver anything resembling a concession speech or spoken at that same location immediately after his Presidential running mate had delivered his concession speech.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.