GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

HeroQuest» Forums » General

Subject: Artifacts and equipment between quests? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Strike
United Kingdom
Corsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello veteran adventurers,

Ive been on a nostalgic quests for a complete set of HQ, including expansions and have a small band of boardganers willing to complete the campaign.

Thus far I have HQ advanced edn(with US cards), kellars keep US, wizards of morcar and against the ogre horde.

My question is whats happens to artifacts and equipment found during the original game?do they carry over between expansions?

And is there an order for the expansions to be played?or is it order of release?

Thanks in advance
JON
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure whether there're official rules for what happens to equipment between quests but we always played that you keep them. It probably doesn't matter much either way for Kellars Keep and Return of the Witchlord but Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar are more difficult than the other quests and I think it's expected that the heroes will have better gear for those quests.

Hmmm ... I haven't looked at the quest books in ages but in the base game there was a certain magical item you needed to get to defeat the Witchlord. I'm not sure whether that's needed when you play Return of the Witchlord but if it is, that would imply that you definitely do keep your gear between quests.

In the UK version at least some of the quest items were pretty useless in the base game. I think there was some amulet or something that gave you extra Mind points which I don't think were ever used in base game quests but do come into use in the expansions. That would imply that you keep your gear too.

Again, I don't think there's an official order that the quests should be played in but we played them in the order of release (I think!):

Kellars Keep
Return of the Witchlord
Against the Ogre Horde
Wizards of Morcar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely keep your gear, otherwise there'd be no point in collecting gold.
Playing quests in order of release is best as the difficulty curves up with the later expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an official order for playing through the expansions (the order they were released in) and they are written assuming you have played the previous ones. From memory, if you look at the Kellar's Keep quests, it will mention things like "If the players have X artifact, then Y will happen" or "This tomb contains X artifact, unless the players already have it." These things happen before the heroes could have got those artifacts without playing through the main game first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizards of Morcar... Not the cheapest expansion to get hold of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Strike
United Kingdom
Corsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tell me about it! arrived only last week, i feel that paying that much must make me a masochist.

Thanks for the advice, I knew there was no official rulebook mention of artifacts and equipment between expansions, but the reasoning above seems sound to me. Nothing worse than everyone ditching loot after the basegame only to get stuck in to Kellar's to find you actually need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Strike
United Kingdom
Corsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ps Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.