Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game and I bought the 5th player expansion with the thought that it was 5-6th player expansion. Shame on me for not paying closer attention. That being said, the expansion comes with enough Hut tiles to have a 6th stack of 7.

Has anyone else just added in meeples from another game and played with 6?
Does it throw the balance of the game off? Does the board get too crowded with 6 players? Not accounting for hunting grounds, (or huts that let you gather resources) it seems there are only 42 spaces on the board for meeple placement.

**EDIT** There would be 43 spaces in a 5 player game and 44 if I did a 6 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
the maximum I have played with is four as we only have the base game (32 [I think] spaces on the board for meeple placement) and found that to be ok but I can only imagine that 6 (even with the extra 10 spaces)will just be too much. If you work it out, that's 8 spaces per player (based on the base game) and so essential that drops to 7 spaces per player per turn (apart from hunting).

Maybe if you dropped the max number of people to 8 Meeples per player so that it doesn't become to aggressive or one sided?*

*Like I said tho, I only have the base game so I don't know if there is much extra in terms of space and setup changes.

**Also there will be less cards per player and therefore people paying more and taking the high costing cards**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No I haven't played Stone Age with 6 players.

I do have a friend who does insist that games made for a specific amount of players (max) really is just a guideline rather than an actual rule. He has Dominion (one copy of the base set and no expansions) and insists the game is okay and in fact better with 5+ players.....again, base game only, no expansions and only one copy of the base game.

If there are more players available to play but is more than the player count for a game I go get another game tHat can accommodate the amount of players available to play.

If we're about to play Bruges (base game 4 players) and a fifth person shows up, I will suggest a five player game like Cinque Terre or Lords of Waterdeep instead but I won't try to adapt Bruges for a fifth player without the expansion which I don't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion adds a village spot that takes 2 meeples for "trading" and it adds "jewelry" to the food hunting grounds that can be taken instead of food. As well as Development cards and Huts. I feel like the expansion did not add much in strategy, but adding the 6th player would potentially add enough of a wrinkle to make what was added more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem is going to be, not enough magic spaces (love hut, tools...) Notice how the base game plays 2 or 3: it's by locking out magic spaces.

Also, the sixth player is going to have a very long wait to get first choice of space. I expect that puts him at a significant disadvantage.

The cards and their bonus points are going to be spread very thin.

The hut stacks are going to run out faster, perhaps before the sixth player gets a second chance to go first.

It's just not a game that can add players easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.