Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: My next solo purchase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
I'm looking to purchase a game or two but I play exclusively by myself. I've more or less narrowed it down to

1. Scythe (the new hotness but I'm generally not a euro guy)

2. Zombicide Black Plague

3. Eldritch Horror

4. Star Trek Panic

5. Descent with Road to Legend app

6. Dawn of the Zeds

Can anyone comment that had played multiples of these

I favor ease of play greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can comment on 2 of those.

NinjaGigolo wrote:
3. Eldritch Horror

Eldritch Horror has a good streamlined flow to it and things are absolutely manageable by just one person.

However, the game is best balanced with 4 players, because travelling across the world happens slowly and with 4 players you cover more ground. I often played 2 characters at once, which is also no problem at all and I guess 4 is also manageable, but you obviously lose quite a bit of the roleplaying feeling if you control more than one character.

Just be aware that every character gains usually gains a few cards for personal equipment, spells and conditions, and keeping an eye on this for more than 2 characters could probably turn out to be exhausting, considering the game's lengthy playtime.

If this is all no problem to you and you like lenghty thematic storytelling games, I can absolutely recommend Eldritch Horror.

NinjaGigolo wrote:
4. Star Trek Panic

I have not played Star Trek Panic, but Castle Panic, which is almost the same game with a bit less complexity (no special characters, no missions, simpler damage system) and it's very playable with just one person, as the game is light and streamlined. Because of this, playing multiple hands/characters should be no problem to most players. The BGG community voted that it's best with 1 or 4 players.

About Dawn of the Zeds: the 1st and 2nd edition were pure solitaire games and from what I have seen and heard, the newest 3rd edition is still very similar and strong for just 1 player.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Fleet Commander: Nimitz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Kyur wrote:
I can comment on 2 of those.

NinjaGigolo wrote:
3. Eldritch Horror

Eldritch Horror has a good streamlined flow to it and things are absolutely manageable by just one person.

However, the game is best balanced with 4 players, because travelling across the world happens slowly and with 4 players you cover more ground. I often played 2 characters at once, which is also no problem at all and I guess 4 is also manageable, but you obviously lose quite a bit of the roleplaying feeling if you control more than one character.

Just be aware that every character gains usually gains a few cards for personal equipment, spells and conditions, and keeping an eye on this for more than 2 characters could probably turn out to be exhausting, considering the game's lengthy playtime.

If this is all no problem to you and you like lenghty thematic storytelling games, I can absolutely recommend Eldritch Horror.

NinjaGigolo wrote:
4. Star Trek Panic

I have not played Star Trek Panic, but Castle Panic, which is almost the same game with a bit less complexity (no special characters, no missions, simpler damage system) and it's very playable with just one person, as the game is light and streamlined. Because of this, playing multiple hands/characters should be no problem to most players. The BGG community voted that it's best with 1 or 4 players.

About Dawn of the Zeds: the 1st and 2nd edition were pure solitaire games and from what I have seen and heard, the newest 3rd edition is still very similar and strong for just 1 player.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Thanks so much. Elderitch seems like it could be a chore. I have castle panic and playing multiple hands is really no problem. Leaning towards that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, 3 replies and nobody recommended Mage Knight or Star Realms yet! that is such a rarity these days.
and yes, star realms is not a solo game, but those who rexommend it most of the time do not bother to think about the number of players or anything else pertaining to the OP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Keep a lookout for FFG new games just released(soon).

Mansion of madness 2nd edition & arkham horror lcg. Both solo enabled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
I'm looking to purchase a game or two but I play exclusively by myself. I've more or less narrowed it down to

3. Eldritch Horror

4. Star Trek Panic

6. Dawn of the Zeds

I played 3/4/5.

Eldritch Horror is good, but it is really fiddly and requires expansions. Star Trek Panic is the best when it comes to ease of play, I've been playing Descent with 4 heroes solo and found it very easy to manage but on the other hand I've been playing the game for some years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
and yes, star realms is not a solo game, but those who rexommend it most of the time do not bother to think about the number of players or anything else pertaining to the OP

Actually, Star Realms has (very limited) solo options with the Gambit expansion, but I think the app would be a wiser solo option.

However, the upcoming Hero Realms has much more robust and interesting solo options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
Thanks so much. Elderitch seems like it could be a chore. I have castle panic and playing multiple hands is really no problem. Leaning towards that one.

Under these circumstances, I guess it could be.

Still one of my top favourite games (as you can probably tell by my microbadges).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are you narrowing it down to a specific #? all these games are good or at least I've read that.

I hear scythe is great. I'm not sure how 'easy' it would be. There looks like a lot of components to keep track of.

Eldritch horror is good too. Easy to play? Sure but it does take time to set up.

I've played Star Trek Panic Which I then immediately got Castle panic and it's expansions. Star Trek Panic has the same mechanics as Castle panic but adds much more that actually changes the game and make it more challenging IMO. It's easy to play but in most cases you need cards to deal with threats as well as commit to missions. It's that Balance that makes the game Challenging IMO. Castle panic without the expansions is too easy. Adding Wizard tower certainly adds to the game. Adding Titan? Definitely ups the challenge as most Co-ops should do. There's also another expansions coming in November.

I was debating to get Descent because of the APP. I leaned toward Imperial Assault mostly for the theme. Who doesn't like Star Wars? I'm not a huge nerd about SW but the theme certainly captured my attention. plus the Fan made Automated Empire is really well done. I don't think they'll make an app for it like Descent because of licensing issues but it would be so cool to see that happen. There's lots of components and rules referencing. So ease of play may be out of the question. It does get easier once you know how to play.

The other looked interesting to me but I already spend too much on games these past few months. And some I haven't had a chance to get to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the tutorial campaign Rise of All Goblins and the first few quests in Kindred Fire in Road to Legend 2 player (2 heroes) with my wife and I've played a few other Descent 2nd Ed. titles solo.

I love the game, the rpg elements, and of course mini's and maps. I get involved in the narrative and it really works for me solo. I do find playing Descent with more than 2 heroes a little cumbersome though, it's a lot to keep track of. Fortunately FFG buffed the 2 hero game last year, evening the odds.

I've played Eldrich Horror twice with a friend. Although I'm a big Lovecraft fan and a fan of FFG's take on the property, Eldritch Horror just didn't do it for me narrative wise. I just couldn't get it out of my head why these completely unrelated characters who where in different parts of the world where working together. Also I thought the board was boring and of course no mini's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:

3. Eldritch Horror
4. Star Trek Panic
6. Dawn of the Zeds

3) Good game. I don't think it'd be too bad to manage solo, but I would recommend running more than one investigator.

5) The app is awesome. Descent is awesome. I haven't play this solo yet, but again, if you don't mind running multiple characters I think you'd have a blast with it.

6) This game is hard as nails. I've only played it a couple times (on the basic game and the first difficulty), and lost both times. It has a tiered difficulty system, which adds rules and complexity the deeper you get, but the basic game is pretty straight forward. It's a different feel than the other games I mentioned, but I liked it. Get ready to curse your dice though laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:

3. Eldritch Horror
4. Star Trek Panic
6. Dawn of the Zeds

Of the games that you listed, my top 3 would be Scythe, Black Plague and Dawn of the Zeds.

My top game of all those ones there is, by far, Dawn of the Zeds. The theme is captured so well and you constantly have the feeling of being overwhelmed by the undead hordes. However, it can be very fiddly until you've got a decent number of plays under your belt. There are a lot of rules, but you slowly build up to all of them by only adding a few news rules to your games at a time. It's one of the easiest games I've ever learned that also has a lot of rules.

So, since one of your requirements was also "ease of play," I'd probably also lean towards Zombicide: Black Plague. It's very straight forward (move, roll dice, kill zombies) and while the rulebook has quite a few pages in it, a lot of room is taken up by pictures and examples. Black Plague is also my favorite of all the Zombicides as I feel they finally got everything "right."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Half of my Zombicide: Black Plague games have been solo, juggling 6 heroes, and I've had a great time with it.

I've only played Eldritch Horror solo once. Even though it was just juggling 4 heroes, it felt much more of a slog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:

I hear scythe is great. I'm not sure how 'easy' it would be. There looks like a lot of components to keep track of.

Scythe is the only one I can speak to. In general, the way the automa moves puts only one piece per territory, and it's actually pretty easy to keep track of it. The first game might be a bit rough at first trying to figure out the movement rules, but overall it has become one of my favorite solo games.

Bit of setup and tear down, though. Not as bad as some other games I play (Mage Knight, Robinson Crusoe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Icarus599 wrote:
SgtTenor wrote:

Scythe is the only one I can speak to. In general, the way the automa moves puts only one piece per territory, and it's actually pretty easy to keep track of it. The first game might be a bit rough at first trying to figure out the movement rules, but overall it has become one of my favorite solo games.

Bit of setup and tear down, though. Not as bad as some other games I play (Mage Knight, Robinson Crusoe).

That's encouraging. I have both of those. Is it as brain melting as Mage Knight can be at times? I don't find RC as bad in that department but Mage Knight, despite being my favorite ever, is one of my least played. I just don't always have the mental energy to tackle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
Icarus599 wrote:
SgtTenor wrote:

That's encouraging. I have both of those. Is it as brain melting as Mage Knight can be at times? I don't find RC as bad in that department but Mage Knight, despite being my favorite ever, is one of my least played. I just don't always have the mental energy to tackle it.

Yeah I was just thinking about setting up MK but the setup is so daunting. And then I have to have the mental capacity to play it afterward.

I don't think it's as brain burny. There's certainly some turns where you're split between a few courses of action and you'll be stuck trying to do what you want to. Some turns (particularly early on before the AI has expanded across the board) you'll not think too hard about your moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:

3. Eldritch Horror

4. Star Trek Panic

6. Dawn of the Zeds

I actually don't recommend any of those for solo. My favorite solo games are:
Apex Theropod 2nd Edition
Robinson Crusoe
Mage Knight
Hostage Negotiator (New KS is live now)

Forego ease of play for replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heffernan
Canada
Perth
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Hostage Negotiator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:

3. Eldritch Horror

4. Star Trek Panic

6. Dawn of the Zeds

I'd stay away from Scythe (and probably also from Robinson Crusoe and Legends of Andor) if you don't enjoy Euro games.

I'm not a fan of Zombicide, at all.

Eldritch Horror is pretty good, but I still prefer Arkham Horror. I wouldn't say that either game's strength is ease of play, though (which is also true for Mage Knight).

I also dislike (regular) Descent (2.0). Too confrontational for my taste. I don't know about solo play with the app, though. that could be rather good. Mansions of Madness 2.0 looks like it might be more up my alley, though.

I don't know 4 and 6.

One of my current favorite solo games is Assault on Doomrock. It's very hard, though.

I've also had a lot of fun playing Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game and Race for the Galaxy solo, but you'll want to look into some reviews to decide if they're for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^True. The three mentioned above (especially Scythe) are quite Euro-y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.