Subject: Epic Arctic Scavengers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the variant for Thunderstone that uses all of it's cards mixed, and idea by Niels Thornberg in this thread, I came up with an "Epic" variant for Arctic Scavengers. It uses all cards from the Base game, HQ and Recon expansions.

The short rules for setup should be in the Files section by now, but here's the gist:

Shuffle all junkyard cards together into one deck. Shuffle all 28 Contested Resources cards and draw 14 randomly.

Sort out a number of Medics and Engineers equal to the number of players. Then shuffle all other mercenary cards into one huge pile.
Make a room for 12 „slots“ in the middle of the table.
Place sorted out Medics and Engineers into two different slots. Then draw and deal out cards from the pile into the slots. Each different card occupies a different slot. If a card of already occupied slot type is drawn, place it on top of that slot pile. Continue drawing cards until the last 12th slot is occupied.
Bought out empty slots are refilled by drawing from the deck again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the advantages to this method over just putting out all of the cards, or 'kitchen sink'?

I'm not being facetious, just wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
[q="doctoryes0"]What are the advantages to this method over just putting out all of the cards, or 'kitchen sink'?

I'm not being facetious, just wondering.[/]

I'm guessing it's for the same reason that The Harbor expasion for Machi Koro which changed the game to this style did it. To make it so you can't just tunnel vision one working strategy every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
I'm guessing it's for the same reason that The Harbor expasion for Machi Koro which changed the game to this style did it. To make it so you can't just tunnel vision one working strategy every game.

Exactly. And to lower the AP of players looking at 22+ different cards.

And because meds and buildings are vital for many strategies to become even possible, there is a set amount of medics and engineers at the start of the game equal to number of players, so each player has at least a chance to get one of each, even if their unlucky to find meds in the junkyard or if any engineers or tinkers don't show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually thinking of MK when I asked. This system was horrible in that game. Everyone would end up staring at a bunch of crap they didn't want until someone bit the bullet and bought something, at which point the next person would either luck into a winning card or everyone would groan bc it was more crap.

But the system will probably work better in a game that isn't inherently flawed.

(I hate Machi Koro!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.