Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: DIY Board Game Table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Robinson
msg tools
Hey everyone! I just wanted to post the table that I just finished building. There are still a few things that I would like to do it, but for right now it is a functioning table. I had the idea almost a year ago and started out on this journey back in February. I have seen the Geek Chic tables and have always wanted something like that, but it's so damn expensive. That's when I discovered a lot of different DIY tables on here. I started going through them all, taking little notes about designs. I started contacting various people and asking for any type of plans or tips. I then drew up my own table design and the pictures here are the finished product. It is a board game/D&D/dining room table. My friends and I record a D&D podcast so there were very specific things I was looking to add to it to help on that front. We recorded an episode last week on it, and it went great!Thank you again to the community for being such a huge help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That looks great! Well done. It also looks huge!

Can you give me some specifics as to what play surface you ended up using? What size is the table? How wide are your fold out shelves, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Robinson
msg tools
Thanks for the kind words! The table is made out of poplar, the legs are made out of pine. The shelf and leaves are made out of cabinet grade plywood. I used a red mahogany stain and 4 coats of satin polyurethane. The inset area is made of nylon velvet speed cloth. The table is a little less than 5x7 feet. The desks fold out to another 5.5 inches so when its all open up it is pretty close to 6x8 feet. The desks on the long sides are both roughly 18 inches wide 5.5 inches deep until folded out then they are 11 inches deep. The dice tray is around 12 inches or so. The short side also has two desks that are 18 inches, which a smaller dice tray. The corner boxes are about 7 inches wide and 18 inches or so long. I can look up the exact specifics if you'd like since I kinda scribbled them down before building, like a mad scientist. The DM station has a desk that is 3 feet long with a dice tray that is 1 foot long. Are there any other details you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job on that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dlr17307 wrote:
Thanks for the kind words! The table is made out of poplar, the legs are made out of pine. The shelf and leaves are made out of cabinet grade plywood. I used a red mahogany stain and 4 coats of satin polyurethane. The inset area is made of nylon velvet speed cloth. The table is a little less than 5x7 feet. The desks fold out to another 5.5 inches so when its all open up it is pretty close to 6x8 feet. The desks on the long sides are both roughly 18 inches wide 5.5 inches deep until folded out then they are 11 inches deep. The dice tray is around 12 inches or so. The short side also has two desks that are 18 inches, which a smaller dice tray. The corner boxes are about 7 inches wide and 18 inches or so long. I can look up the exact specifics if you'd like since I kinda scribbled them down before building, like a mad scientist. The DM station has a desk that is 3 feet long with a dice tray that is 1 foot long. Are there any other details you want?

What you supplied was great. At one point in my table design I had 3 people on the long edges but later reduced it down to 2 as 3 was crowded (very little elbow room for each person) without making the table so large it didn't fit the room. Seeing your table brought back memories of that particular design I had and made me wonder about your tables dimensions.

How did your group enjoy playing on it?

Looks great - I'll be adding it to my BGG Table list later today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Andrea
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great detail on the drawer handles! Most impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Robinson
msg tools
The group loved it in comparison to the small table we were using before. After attaching mics to that table, and putting the mixer on it, there wasn't much room left. On the new table, the lap top, the mixer and the mics can go on the table without taking away any space from the players desk or dice trays. Thank you again for the kind words!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.