United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Team 1
Dash | Dai-Raijin V (Alex)
Pilot Ability: Righteous Spirit Dash will do everything he can to avoid collateral damage. If an opponent forces you to collide with a structure, increase his Rage by 4 until the end of the current turn.
Ultimate Technique: STORM CALLER! While this card is Activated in your Cooldown Meter, every successful attack you make creates 1 Arc Hazard on your opponent's hex.

Hadrian | Ayzn (Steven)
Pilot Ability: Wed To Steel Hadrian’s cybernetics connect directly to his robot’s frame for unparalleled control. If they are in your hand, you may remove 4 of your cards from the game to Trigger: Permanently increase your Speed by 2, to a maximum of 9.
Ultimate Technique: AYZN BLACK! IRON FUSION OVERKILL! Until the end of this turn, all of your Melee attacks gain the Combo keyword.

Team 2
Noriko Nagare | O-Gun (Maddie)
Pilot Ability: Suicide Drive Noriko sheds her robot’s defensive systems and puts everything into her attacks. Your robot’s Defense is permanently reduced to 0, but you always gain Power at the beginning of your turn.
Ultimate Technique: PHANTASM CHAIN BLASTER! Pull your opponent to an adjacent hex, then Throw your opponent up to 4 hexes away.

Takashi Kato | Chogoking (Alec)
Pilot Ability: Honorable Defeat Even on the edge of destruction, Takashi’s tenacious spirit refuses to falter. You can only be defeated by an Attack or Effect that inflicts 4 or more damage.
Ultimate Technique: SOL SPHERE! X=the Fire in both your and your opponent's Cooldown Meter. Inflict damage + X. Increase X cards in your opponent's Cooldown Meter to Cooldown Slot 3.

There was a fire fight!

Team 1 won the dice roll in the beginning of the game and we decided to play first, mainly because I wanted to power up as quickly as possible. I placed myself on the least dense part of the map after all buildings had been laid out. Next, O-Gun placed nearest to me, with Dai-Raijin V placing on the opposite side of O-Gun. Chogoking started away from everyone.

Alex and I had somewhat discussed a strategy - as I was playing with my Ayzn build that's very defensive and is focused on running in and playing a massive Combo melee attack with my Ultimate. I was to soak up damage as Alex ran around handing out Power Surges. Things, unfortunately, fell apart rather quickly.

Immediately, O-Gun and Chogoking began to converge on Ayzn, as Ayzn was taking Power Tokens to power up and forgoing Fighting Spirit the first round, leaving him vulnerable. Dai-Raijin jumped onto a nearby T2 Structure for Combat Advantage:

But because I had Hadrian's ability that would let me increase my speed, I decided before the game started that I would add four 1 Cool Down cards to my hand so that I could, as quickly as possible, burn them to increase my speed at any given time:

So with both O-Gun and Chogoking closing in fast, I decided to use Wed To Steel and ran behind the two T2 structures nearby with Dai-Raijin providing cover. Unfortunately O-Gun gave chase and decided to focus on Dai-Raijin V:

And laid down an Anchor to slow him down:

Notice how Chogoking is eerily absent from the fray at this moment. Smart move on their part, it turns out. At this point it was the start of my third turn and because Hadrian takes 2 Power Tokens in lieu of Heart, I was able to power up to AYZN BLACK:

Had to swap out for the painted model because, you know, AYZN BLACK:

I then sprinted back the other away in a lame attempt to draw O-Gun and/or Chogoking away from Dai-Raijin V, but no one was falling for that. I was still without Fighting Spirit at this point so I wasn't able to really do much:

O-Gun decided at this point it was a good idea to utilize that Anchor that was on Dai-Raijin V and smash Dai-Raijin V through the two T2 Structures:

Chogoking finally got in the mix but whiffed against Ayzn, and with Dai-Raijin and O-Gun running away, I decided to focus my efforts on O-Gun as there had already been some damaged done to O-Gun:

With Chogoking off in the distance, Dai-Raijin and Ayzn were able to quickly put O-Gun into the ground:

This was ultimately our demise, as 1v1 rules are different than multiplayer games. When O-Gun was eliminated, Noriko Nagare was able to join Takashi Kato and assist in piloting Chogoking. Pairing the two most aggressive pilots with Chogoking is DANGEROUS turns out. Both pilots gain Heart, Rage or Power Tokens (no more than the 6 Power Tokens though) so the ability to quickly build up for large attacks is that much easier. And because Chogoking had stayed on the fringes of the battle, he was more prepared for taking on Ayzn and Dai-Raijin V. Dai-Raijin V was very low on Armor and had to sprint away to rid himself of fire:

But Chogoking made quick work of Dai-Raijin V. Dash was able to jump into Ayzn with Hadrian and increase our pool of Fighting Spirit, but it was not looking good. Ayzn's Armor at this point was on par with Chogoking, but Chogoking was laying down Fire and Inferno's left and right. I think at this point Ayzn had about 15 Fire in his Cool Down Meter:

While Dash and Hadrian were able to spar with Chogoking for a round, the fire built up quickly. Hadrian used his Fire Control which lets him pay 2X to eliminate X fire, and Ayzn's LUFTFAUST! which eliminates all adjacent Elemental Tiles from the map, but the amount of fire kept scaling because Noriko with Suicide Drive AND Takashi together is tough. Thinking it was the only way to survive, Ayzn ran to the edge of the map to enter a Flood to extinguish the fire, but not before being reduced to 4 Armor. And, before we were able to start our turn and extinguish all of the fire, Chogoking decided to finally use his Ultimate:

SOL SPHERE! X=the Fire in both your and your opponent's Cooldown Meter. Inflict damage + X. Increase X cards in your opponent's Cooldown Meter to Cooldown Slot 3.

As Ayzn had run away to a Flood, I had no attacks in Range and was only able to defend naturally against 8 Attack Dice. Needless to say, Ayzn took 22 damage from the massive sphere of fire that was hurled from afar, and crumbled to the ground:

The multiplayer rules add some definite strategy to how you engage your opponents. This game it turned out to be a bad choice to focus on O-Gun so early, as it allowed Chogoking to double its Power and Fighting Spirit way before we could do the same. While Ayzn and Dai-Raijin V were able to take some Armor off, Dash joined Hadrian too late in the game to be able to ramp up for an attack. The Fire that Chogoking laid onto Ayzn also made it difficult to stay in Melee range, which is essential to Ayzn's play style. Had we done it over again, it would have been a better play to go after Chogoking first, as O-Gun may have been more manageable with two pilots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder which robot is Steven's favorite. I love that you took the time to give paint up an Ayzn Black

This was really interesting. I'd not tried a 2v2 yet, but I really like that copilot rule. It adds an interesting level of strategy depending on the match up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
I wonder which robot is Steven's favorite. I love that you took the time to give paint up an Ayzn Black

That was all thanks to Alex prepping for convention stuff. I may be biased to Ayzn, though my favorite Robot to play, if I'm going to be truthful, is Ascalon Alpha (the Kong of the Wastes SG on Kickstarter).

1v1 I feel like I'm super confident with my build (that I've nicknamed Ayzn Tyson, for reasons). 2v2 is a whole other beast though - you really have to pay attention to both opponents and finish them off relatively evenly - teaming up on someone and pummeling them comes back to bite you, as it really did in the above game. The 2v2 elimination rules are there to discourage teaming up on a squishy robot and encourages a lot more strategy than you would normally see in a 2v2 like this. Hopefully this helped to illustrate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr dixon
msg tools
mb
i like the mechanic where the defeated pilot hooks up with his buddy. 2v2 games can get too predictable once one player is defeated.

is it possible to create a competitive 2v1 battle just by adding an extra pilot?(!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The 2v2 elimination rules are there to discourage teaming up on a squishy robot and encourages a lot more strategy than you would normally see in a 2v2 like this. Hopefully this helped to illustrate that.

Very much so! I was already excited about the team option but the way it's played is different than anything I've ever seen, and in ways I very much like. Kudos for not only dealing with player elimination, but making it look interesting and thematic to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
schlagamuffin wrote:

That was all thanks to Alex prepping for convention stuff. I may be biased to Ayzn, though my favorite Robot to play, if I'm going to be truthful, is Ascalon Alpha (the Kong of the Wastes SG on Kickstarter).

Awesome. Can't wait to see how that robot plays. When I first saw the campaign the Ascalon Alpha was probably the robot I anticipated the most. It reminds me of something like the Gespenst series of robots from Super Robot Wars. In particular the Wiessritter variant considering the big rifle in the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrddixon wrote:
is it possible to create a competitive 2v1 battle just by adding an extra pilot?(!)

The team up scenario's, like 2v1, 3v1 etc. have not so much revolved around multiple pilots (in our playtesting and dev), but larger, more robust (re: Armor and other in game currencies like Power and Fighting Spirit) Robots/other secrets.

If you're meaning could you do 2 independent pilot|robots and 1 robot with 2 pilots, you might find that the 1 robot will have the advantage as I discussed in the original post. Being able to ramp up from turn 1, gaining twice the resources to be used on one robot would be quite possibly a bit OP if you're facing the same number of pilots with split resource spending.

That being said, you might be able to do 3 robots with 3 pilots versus one robot with two pilots - that might make for a very interesting home-rules challenge (and you can do that with base game with the Kickstarter exclusive pilot being the 5th pilot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
In particular the Wiessritter variant considering the big rifle in the picture.

heartrobotheart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Everything I see and hear about this game just makes me more excited!

This report makes for an epic story, and an awesome demonstration of why I love the concepts in the game. 4 giant robots charge into battle, collapsing buildings as they fight, and setting off explosions all around. In the end, a massive fireball, and only a single machine is left standing.

Not just the fact that the fight came down to 2 vs. 1 and got turned around, but ALSO the ultimate finisher. The rules feel so solid and RIGHT to me, and it's all been done without any loss of style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.