Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://bunewsservice.com/humans-really-can-read-dogs-faces/

Quote:
The team found that not only could dog owners identify whether the dog was in a positive or negative emotional state, but so could people who had never interacted with dogs.

Harris Friedman, a psychologist at the University of Florida who coauthored a previous study of how we recognize dogs’ emotions, was impressed by the experiment’s focus. “It simplified our study, reducing looking at six emotions to two (positive and negative), which I think was a really good way to try to…get a better handle on it.”

But what intrigues him most is what such innate communication says about the roots of our species, tens of thousands of years ago. While still speculative, he agrees that it provides “additional evidence” that dogs may have evolved facial expressions to emote to our nomadic ancestors as they learned to coexist, cooperate, and get ahead.

But both Schirmer and Friedman note that there could be another explanation dating back even further: humans and dogs may simply have inherited the same facial expressions from our common mammalian ancestors.

The answer could be a combination. Schirmer notes that studies have shown that non-domesticated canines make positive facial expressions that humans can recognize, but not sad faces. Perhaps humans and dogs could always read the joy on our faces, but had to coevolve to share sadness.

Dog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cats, OTOH, are a total fucking mystery.

Happy, sad, about-to-claw-your-eyes-out? Who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
AdrianPHague wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
That's weird, because I've always considered most people pretty bad at reading dog emotions. They think "I love dogs" translates to "all dogs love me," and often behave in grossly inappropriate ways to dogs they don't know.

When I was growing up, we always thought our dogs "loved" car rides because they would get all hyper and would "smile" the whole time. After having owned a very anxious dog as an adult, I now know the "smiling" was probably stress panting and the hyperactivity was anxiety-induced pacing.

Lots of people see this and think it's a "happy" dog (this dog is highly anxious):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
cbazler wrote:
That's weird, because I've always considered most people pretty bad at reading dog emotions. They think "I love dogs" translates to "all dogs love me," and often behave in grossly inappropriate ways to dogs they don't know.

When I was growing up, we always thought our dogs "loved" car rides because they would get all hyper and would "smile" the whole time. After having owned a very anxious dog as an adult, I now know the "smiling" was probably stress panting and the hyperactivity was anxiety-induced pacing.

Lots of people see this and think it's a "happy" dog (this dog is highly anxious):

ears are back and the eyes are pulled back -- poor doggie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:

Ever see that cat video where he slices that girl's eye? She went blind in it from what I heard. He was on her shoulder and she was in a chair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seals will finally evolve into land dogs in another 40,000 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.