Subject: Coming from X-Wing. Where to start, and what's actually available? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about giving Attack Wing a go, seeing how much I enjoy X-Wing. Obviously the initial purchase is a core set, but where do I go from there? With X-Wing, buying multiple cores is a cost-effective start. Does this also work with Attack Wing, or is it better to buy different expansions instead? Are any considered "essential"?
Speaking of which, a cursory look online shows me that most expansions seem out of stock. Is this usually the case, or am I choosing an awkward time to get into the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game! I also started out with X-Wing.

One core is all you`ll need, but buy more dice! They come in dice packs. You`ll need a LOT of them in this game!

One core set and then choose a faction that you really enjoy. There are so many starships to choose from! I play Klingons so I just concentrate on that faction to remain economical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Multiple core sets in X-Wing make more sense because each fighter can have multiple unique pilots. In Attack Wing, each ship only has one unique version, and one generic. Also, with the most current was that released late last week, there is now a retail option available for each class of ship included in the starter set. So unless you need an extra damage deck, I'd stick to one starter, and buy ships as needed. Maneuver templates and attack dice can be purchased separately. (Quick note - the bank maneuvers in Attack Wing are different from X-Wing, and Attack wing also has 4-banks and 6-straight maneuvers)

If you're planning to stick to one or two factions, let us know which ones you are interested in, and we can let you know which ships are recommended. If you want to go full-on faction mixing, we can also give you recommended ships for that too.

Most expansions should be available online, but some of the more popular ones are difficult to find anywhere. The good news is that many of these ships are getting reprinted with improved paint jobs, so don't go spend a bunch of money on eBay for a USS Voyager or Enterprise-E (both excellent ships for the Federation, and currently hard to find). If you are patient, they will be available again in the next few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that I'll play as Federation, as I actually recognise those vessels. I'd probably then have to pick something like Borg to go against them with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of good stuff in the Federation faction, but a lot of it requires prize ships (available only on eBay at fairly high prices). The starter set has Picard 9 (best captain in the game) and a lot of good crew. The Prometheus may be the best overall ship in the game but you will need the dorsal phaser arrays in the Enterprise E for each of you ships and you can have only 1 unique ship (like Prometheus for example). The others are generic and have no perk (a shame because the perks are essentially free).

Smaller ships like the Constitutions or the Excelsiors can be powerful but they need the prize ship USS Hood and the USS Lakota's upgraded phasers and type 8 phasers to boost the weapon from 3 to 5, which combined with their native 180 arc can be very nice.

Coming from XWing, you'll find that the games you might play, especially in the OPs won't be very thematic. Most OPs mix crews and upgrades creating ships that have upgrades from every race/faction. Having a big ship collection doesn't guarantee a win, but it does give you a serious advantage in play since it gives you a lot more options. And getting all those ships won't be easy or cheap since you can no longer buy them off the rack (though as some said above some are being reprinted).

You can have a lot of fun playing, but if you're after thematic battles (what the STAW players call fleet pure), you may not find that in the OP depending on your local player's desires. If you're looking for wide open, wilder play -- maybe you feel that XWing was a little too predictable, you may like STAW. But remember, it's almost more of a card game with some ships on the board than a tactical game. The build you play is more important to success than I think it is in XWing and the combos can be more powerful. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like I mentioned earlier, both USS Voyager and the USS Enterprise-E are great ships for the Federation, but almost impossible to find at the moment without paying through the nose. Fortunately, the next wave (due out in September) will include the USS Voyager reprint, and the wave after that (due out in November) will have the Enterprise-E reprint. The reprints are exactly the same as the initial version, but with an updated paint job on the ship.

Other useful ships for the Federation include

USS Enterprise - Some useful crew upgrades, and a ship that is almost made for Captain Janeway.
Enterprise NX-01 - Inexpensive ship, plus good captain, crew, and upgrades. Can be deceptively powerful.
USS Hathaway - Another solid ship with good upgrades.
USS Reliant - Has a Pavel Chekov crew card that works wonderfully with Voyager.

The next two are a bit harder to get, due to them being linked to Organized Play events, and not being sold at retail. If you can get them at a reasonable price, they are worth it. If it's just friendly play and not for tournaments, you can proxy these without any issues.

USS Hood - Good captain, excellent William Riker crew card, and a weapon and shield upgrade card that can come in very handy. This was a prize ship for winning an event several months back.

USS Lakota - Less important, because I'm mostly interested in this for the weapon upgrade card. This is one of the blind booster packs used in the current series of OP events, but you have a 1 in 10 chance of pulling it. Also, most venues will not be using this pack with the next three events (Tin Man, Corbomite Maneuver, and Trouble with Tribbles), but may be using them with the Motion Pictures series that may still be running in some areas, or the Klingon Civil War series due up after Tribbles (should be October). That's assuming that there are OP events in your area, and that you're interested in trying them out.

I'm probably forgetting a ship or two, but these are some of my favorites.

The Borg are much more simple. They're all pretty good, though the large $100 Cubes are not necessary. But the Sphere, Octahedron, Scout Cube, and Tactical Cube all have good value for the Borg.

edit: forgot about Trouble with Tribbles event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Japherwaki wrote:
Like I mentioned earlier, both USS Voyager and the USS Enterprise-E are great ships for the Federation, but almost impossible to find at the moment without paying through the nose. Fortunately, the next wave (due out in September) will include the USS Voyager reprint, and the wave after that (due out in November) will have the Enterprise-E reprint. The reprints are exactly the same as the initial version, but with an updated paint job on the ship.

Other useful ships for the Federation include

USS Enterprise - Some useful crew upgrades, and a ship that is almost made for Captain Janeway.
Enterprise NX-01 - Inexpensive ship, plus good captain, crew, and upgrades. Can be deceptively powerful.
USS Hathaway - Another solid ship with good upgrades.
USS Reliant - Has a Pavel Chekov crew card that works wonderfully with Voyager.

The next two are a bit harder to get, due to them being linked to Organized Play events, and not being sold at retail. If you can get them at a reasonable price, they are worth it. If it's just friendly play and not for tournaments, you can proxy these without any issues.

USS Hood - Good captain, excellent William Riker crew card, and a weapon and shield upgrade card that can come in very handy. This was a prize ship for winning an event several months back.

USS Lakota - Less important, because I'm mostly interested in this for the weapon upgrade card. This is one of the blind booster packs used in the current series of OP events, but you have a 1 in 10 chance of pulling it. Also, most venues will not be using this pack with the next two events (Tin Man and Corbomite Maneuver), but may be using them with the Motion Pictures series that may still be running in some areas, or the Klingon Civil War series due up after Corbomite Maneuver. That's assuming that there are OP events in your area, and that you're interested in trying them out.

I'm probably forgetting a ship or two, but these are some of my favorites.

The Borg are much more simple. They're all pretty good, though the large $100 Cubes are not necessary. But the Sphere, Octahedron, Scout Cube, and Tactical Cube all have good value for the Borg.

Thanks very much. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I would add Delta Flyer to that list. It comes with several shield boosting cards that see a decent amount of use and the ship itself is a solid-ish support ship for cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should also suggest a way to direct your search.

Go get the Space Dock app for your phone (or computer) and try some builds. Then look at the cards you used and see what expansions they come with.

Also look at this forum at the builds other people are using and enter them in and see what expansions THEY come from. I think it will be instructive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as a Fed player, I could help you locate some of the harder to find expansions. So if Space Dock gives you an idea of what you want to run, let me know and I can drop some links to who sells them. ^^ I'm already in research mode trying to find Borg sets for a friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Lee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome to the game!

Miniaturemarket.com and Amazon can be okay places to find most of the ships not at your local games store, even some of the older or hard to find ones. I've even seen some of the older blind boxes on there from time to time.

I'm new myself and those two were my go-tos when I got into the game a few months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, though here or ebay may be your best bet for OP prizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt I
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are going to be playing Federation, I would recommend picking up at least two of the Federation Fighters. The only unique card from it is the named fighter. Plus, they initially give you more dice than most of the Federation ships.

The Excelsior is another good ship. Forward 180, with a rear arc, transwarp, and the feint talent (which I'm finding more useful in large fleet battles 240+ points.

Of the sets that are readily available at my local store I would recommend the following sets for a new Federation player.

Starter Set
USS Enterprise (Constitution Class)
Reliant
Fighter Squadron 6
USS Prometheus
USS Valiant
USS Venture
USS Thunderchild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Burris
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Spock from the Refit U.S.S. Enterprise is something I've found very useful. If you can get your hands on that one I'd say its worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming captain of the USS Venture looks to be a good one as well with a free action scan on him, combine that with some of the scan trigger crew and you have a decent combo going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Burris
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm already thinking about putting Valtane with Captain Varley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Temple
United States
Madison
MS
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys, I'm new to the game myself and was wondering why the Enterprise refit is so expensive. Is it OOP and going to be re-issued as well? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Burris
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably low/out of stock. They will probably do a repaint/re-issue of it before too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDumbAzCanB wrote:
If you are going to be playing Federation, I would recommend picking up at least two of the Federation Fighters. The only unique card from it is the named fighter. Plus, they initially give you more dice than most of the Federation ships.

The Excelsior is another good ship. Forward 180, with a rear arc, transwarp, and the feint talent (which I'm finding more useful in large fleet battles 240+ points.

Of the sets that are readily available at my local store I would recommend the following sets for a new Federation player.

Starter Set
Reliant
Fighter Squadron 6
USS Prometheus
USS Valiant
USS Venture
USS Thunderchild

To clarify, avoid the OP version of the fighters. While often cheaper, you can't put any upgrades on it, so it wouldn't really be worth the trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
MrDumbAzCanB wrote:

Starter Set
Reliant
Fighter Squadron 6
USS Prometheus
USS Valiant
USS Venture
USS Thunderchild

To clarify, avoid the OP version of the fighters. While often cheaper, you can't put any upgrades on it, so it wouldn't really be worth the trouble.

And for each fighter squad/shuttle craft you need a ship with hull of 4+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt I
msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually I've used the OP fighters once or twice because I only took 1 4+ hull ship, the named fighters and I think the NX-01. I didn't take any upgrades on the fighters anyways so it was a good way to get around the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, but just pointing out the OP version isn't the same. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
It should also be noted that if you only have 20 points left over and your not using a resource then the OP fighters are decent since they are identical in stats to the retail 20 point version, but get a ship ability (re-roll one attack dice at range one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
It should also be noted that if you only have 20 points left over and your not using a resource then the OP fighters are decent since they are identical in stats to the retail 20 point version, but get a ship ability (re-roll one attack dice at range one).

Are the OP fighters actually usable anymore? Aren't they resources that have been phased out now, along with the attack/counter attack die, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bjordgamer wrote:
Typheron wrote:

Are the OP fighters actually usable anymore? Aren't they resources that have been phased out now, along with the attack/counter attack die, etc?

They're retired from OP, if your venue cares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.