Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Is Trump like an old video game monster? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So Trump gets attacked by a Gold Star father, with the Gold Star mother by his side. It's in a convention speech, so he and his strategists have time to consider their response. They also have a model to start with; George W. Bush's response to Cindy Shaheen.

It seems pretty clear that the correct response is to thank the Khans for their sacrifice, to honor their son's service, and to say -- calmly and quietly -- that, in fact, Trump's policy is only to make sure that immigrants from areas with large terrorism problems are properly vetted. Trump should make it clear that he has no wish to fight with a couple who is mourning their hero son.

Of course, he and his surrogates do the opposite. He calls the speech a vicious and unfair attack. He suggests that the woman was silent because her faith doesn't allow her to speak. "Nice!" is his reaction to the unfair attack by someone who hasn't even met him. Allies go on TV and write articles calling the Khans the worst of what's wrong with American politics. It's a disaster for the campaign but they don't seem able to do anything but continue on.

It's like one of those video games where you could get a monster to keep running into a wall, even when you'd set yourself up to shoot at it. It can't think or plan so it just keeps going "directly" at you instead of backing up slightly, going around an obstacle, and finding a viable path.

I thought the Clinton team was getting better at hitting Trump, but if this is how he's going to respond then they've got him. All they need are people who really, really shouldn't be attacked and who are willing to attack Trump. He'll explode at them, right on cue. Worst of all (for Trump), it won't just be bad press or turning some voters off -- it will validate the narrative that he lacks the basic self-control to be POTUS. If he can't resist flailing out at a Gold Star family, then every adversary of America will know that in order to get him to dance like a monkey they just have to yank on his strings.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He (and I think it is generous to say he has strategists, I think he has him) is just a spoiled brat who has never had anyone say no to him, and reacts with tantrums.

Yes I think this does demonstrate he lacks the maturity and calculating calmness to be a head of state.

But then (sadly) I think it is just this that appeals to his supporters, he (and they) are just trolls who care about nothing other then getting reaction. It is Bart Simpson politics.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a major miscalculation on Trump's part. Most of his previous 'gaffes' have been at least partially spinnable, but I don't see a good way for him to get any positive (or even limit the negative) light on this one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I thought the Clinton team was getting better at hitting Trump, but if this is how he's going to respond then they've got him.


If Trump voters were rational actors, I would agree. But this is like Insanely Stupid Thing He's Done Or Said #759 and he's still neck-and-neck in the polls. What's one more?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
So Trump gets attacked by a Gold Star father, with the Gold Star mother by his side. It's in a convention speech, so he and his strategists have time to consider their response. They also have a model to start with; George W. Bush's response to Cindy Shaheen.


So faking sincerity is your best idea ? um... ok.

Chad_Ellis wrote:
It seems pretty clear that the correct response is to thank the Khans for their sacrifice, to honor their son's service, and to say -- calmly and quietly -- that, in fact, Trump's policy is only to make sure that immigrants from areas with large terrorism problems are properly vetted. Trump should make it clear that he has no wish to fight with a couple who is mourning their hero son.


No, if they are going to prop up their dead son to lob insults, then they are fair game. Also considering Khan is affiliated with the Clinton foundation makes it appear even worse for them.

Chad_Ellis wrote:
Of course, he and his surrogates do the opposite. He calls the speech a vicious and unfair attack. He suggests that the woman was silent because her faith doesn't allow her to speak. "Nice!"


Sure, because Islam holds women in such high esteem. It seems like a logical question.


Chad_Ellis wrote:
I thought the Clinton team was getting better at hitting Trump, but if this is how he's going to respond then they've got him.


So by "Clinton" you mean "media" ? well duh, Hillary cant directly speak on any moral high ground so the Clinton surrogates need to carry the water until election time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
So Trump gets attacked by a Gold Star father, with the Gold Star mother by his side. It's in a convention speech, so he and his strategists have time to consider their response. They also have a model to start with; George W. Bush's response to Cindy Shaheen.

It seems pretty clear that the correct response is to thank the Khans for their sacrifice, to honor their son's service, and to say -- calmly and quietly -- that, in fact, Trump's policy is only to make sure that immigrants from areas with large terrorism problems are properly vetted. Trump should make it clear that he has no wish to fight with a couple who is mourning their hero son.

Of course, he and his surrogates do the opposite. He calls the speech a vicious and unfair attack. He suggests that the woman was silent because her faith doesn't allow her to speak. "Nice!" is his reaction to the unfair attack by someone who hasn't even met him. Allies go on TV and write articles calling the Khans the worst of what's wrong with American politics. It's a disaster for the campaign but they don't seem able to do anything but continue on.

It's like one of those video games where you could get a monster to keep running into a wall, even when you'd set yourself up to shoot at it. It can't think or plan so it just keeps going "directly" at you instead of backing up slightly, going around an obstacle, and finding a viable path.

I thought the Clinton team was getting better at hitting Trump, but if this is how he's going to respond then they've got him. All they need are people who really, really shouldn't be attacked and who are willing to attack Trump. He'll explode at them, right on cue. Worst of all (for Trump), it won't just be bad press or turning some voters off -- it will validate the narrative that he lacks the basic self-control to be POTUS. If he can't resist flailing out at a Gold Star family, then every adversary of America will know that in order to get him to dance like a monkey they just have to yank on his strings.


I don't remember any old school video game monsters that had blinking red spots where you caused them to hit themselves.

So no, Trump is more of a modern indie art-style game monster.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Of course, he and his surrogates do the opposite. He calls the speech a vicious and unfair attack. He suggests that the woman was silent because her faith doesn't allow her to speak. "Nice!"


Sure, because Islam holds women in such high esteem. It seems like a logical question.


6/10, getting better
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
All they need are people who really, really shouldn't be attacked and who are willing to attack Trump. He'll explode at them, right on cue.

Exactly this. It's his Kryptonite.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
Attacking Muslims and Mexicans doesn't do it but attacking a military family does. Good old USA.
18 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I pointed out something like this earlier. The best debate/propogsnda tactic would be to call him a liar, openly and boldly when he lies. He won't be able to resist exploding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
Attacking Muslims and Mexicans doesn't do it but attacking a military family does. Good old USA.


So when military members say they are "fighting for your rights" its true except criticizing their parents ?



Also, being on an island in the Atlantic, why do you nutters care and what in particular offended you about what Trump tweeted ? please, in particular what tweet offended you ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
So when military members say they are "fighting for your rights" its true except criticizing their parents ?

Trump is the one who asserted that the Father had no "right" to criticize him.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Trump is the one who asserted that the Father had no "right" to criticize him.
Well, obviously the Muslim son died defending that right, so the right must be Islamic and therefore a terrorist. We have terrorists right in the Constitution people!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
myopia wrote:
Attacking Muslims and Mexicans doesn't do it but attacking a military family does. Good old USA.


So when military members say they are "fighting for your rights" its true except criticizing their parents ?



Also, being on an island in the Atlantic, why do you nutters care and what in particular offended you about what Trump tweeted ? please, in particular what tweet offended you ?
Because what you do can affect us.

"you are either with us or you are against us"

Because if he is elected we will have to deal with him, and the fall out from his actions (maybe literally).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
Avatar
mb
jeremycobert wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
It seems pretty clear that the correct response is to thank the Khans for their sacrifice, to honor their son's service, and to say -- calmly and quietly -- that, in fact, Trump's policy is only to make sure that immigrants from areas with large terrorism problems are properly vetted. Trump should make it clear that he has no wish to fight with a couple who is mourning their hero son.
No, if they are going to prop up their dead son to lob insults, then they are fair game.
Well, I'm glad the GOP hasn't had Patricia Smith on speed-dial for four years since her son died in Benghazi... oh wait... they have.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
So when military members say they are "fighting for your rights" its true except criticizing their parents ?

Trump is the one who asserted that the Father had no "right" to criticize him.
I was wondering what the hell JC was talking about there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
It seems pretty clear that the correct response is to thank the Khans for their sacrifice, to honor their son's service, and to say -- calmly and quietly -- that, in fact, Trump's policy is only to make sure that immigrants from areas with large terrorism problems are properly vetted. Trump should make it clear that he has no wish to fight with a couple who is mourning their hero son.
No, if they are going to prop up their dead son to lob insults, then they are fair game.
Well, I'm glad the GOP hasn't had Patricia Smith on speed-dial for four years since her son died in Benghazi... oh wait... they have.

How did Clinton react to her RNC speach?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I pointed out something like this earlier. The best debate/propogsnda tactic would be to call him a liar, openly and boldly when he lies. He won't be able to resist exploding.


So that stuff on his head is actually a hair-trigger?

HAHAHAHA.

Ok, I'll get me coat.
13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
jeremycobert wrote:
myopia wrote:
Attacking Muslims and Mexicans doesn't do it but attacking a military family does. Good old USA.


So when military members say they are "fighting for your rights" its true except criticizing their parents ?



Also, being on an island in the Atlantic, why do you nutters care and what in particular offended you about what Trump tweeted ? please, in particular what tweet offended you ?


I don't give a shit what Trump tweets. Him being Commander in Chief of the world's most powerful military and defacto leader of NATO is certainly something to care about.

Even you should see that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
So Trump gets attacked by a Gold Star father, with the Gold Star mother by his side.


Random side note: have parents that lost children in the service always been called "Gold Star"? This is the first time I've heard that. Just seems weird with the colloquial slang "here's a gold star for effort" (meaning: here's something worthless for doing nothing that special).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
So Trump gets attacked by a Gold Star father, with the Gold Star mother by his side.


Random side note: have parents that lost children in the service always been called "Gold Star"? This is the first time I've heard that. Just seems weird with the colloquial slang "here's a gold star for effort" (meaning: here's something worthless for doing nothing that special).
Same here, but I just assumed it some some weird American thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.army.mil/goldstar/
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
So Trump gets attacked by a Gold Star father, with the Gold Star mother by his side.


Random side note: have parents that lost children in the service always been called "Gold Star"? This is the first time I've heard that. Just seems weird with the colloquial slang "here's a gold star for effort" (meaning: here's something worthless for doing nothing that special).


Oh. I thought it was part of the video game metaphor, like when Mario grabs a star and is invincible and destroys everything that opposes him.

I guess the real version makes sense, too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
Avatar
mb
AndySzy wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
So Trump gets attacked by a Gold Star father, with the Gold Star mother by his side.


Random side note: have parents that lost children in the service always been called "Gold Star"? This is the first time I've heard that. Just seems weird with the colloquial slang "here's a gold star for effort" (meaning: here's something worthless for doing nothing that special).

It's a century-old tradition that's making a comeback in popular consciousness. If you're in the states, I'm sure you've seen the banners on folks' porches before, but might not have known what their significance is. Most that you see have blue stars, signifying a member of the household is active duty; gold is for folks who've been killed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
I don't give a shit what Trump tweets. Him being Commander in Chief of the world's most powerful military and defacto leader of NATO is certainly something to care about.


Then I can assume you're just as frightened of the idea of Hillary Clinton in charge as well. Well if history teaches us anything, shes a war hawk and not afraid to use military force.

If anything, I thought Trump talked about removing us form NATO which should be looked at as a positive for the anti war crowd.

Even you should see that.

The truth is you're seeking validation here in RSP , which is sad and a bit pathetic.

Even you should see that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.