$20.00
Nick JoJo
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok after a few hours of reading thoroughly the rules of this game(and there are A LOT),my head was so tired that i couldn't play right after.

I get it that there is a big strategic depth to this game,but holy hell nobody warned me about this .Nightmares of the learning curve of Mage Knight came back to haunt me.There are literally so many rules with alternations and exceptions that are quite a lot for a first timer.And I would'nt call myself a casual

Anyways,do you guys know of any good video tutorial or let's play that can help ease the accessibility of this game?

PS:I've already fell in love with the game concepts and how thematically tied they are with LOTR.Applying them in real time is the hard part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricky Royal's video series was instrumental in me getting this to the table. Also, be sure to download Universal Head's game aid from the file section. It's vital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Ricky Royal's video series was instrumental in me getting this to the table. Also, be sure to download Universal Head's game aid from the file section. It's vital.

Yep. These two tools will get you up and running. It's a little bit of work to prepare, but if you do these two things, actually playing the game will not seem like work...and you'll be hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the core, the game is really very simple. Roll a handful of dice, then take turns spending them. Each die face can perform a certain type of action. Yes, there are some special rules and such, but at the core that's what you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolaj Konggard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

I also got into the game with these two excellent works. First play was a little slow with a bit of rule checking, but it is definitely worth it.

Enjoy :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

^^^ same here. It's such a good game and worth the effort to learn. Once learned it's really easy and I still remember 2 years later after watching his vids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
It's much easier to learn than Mage Knight, if that's any consolation. The rule book makes a bit of a meal of it but it's not actually too complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Caldwell
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Ricky Royal this enough. Such a great way to learn.

Also a litte bit of advice... sort the mini's ahead of time into baggies for each faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unimpressed wrote:
Also a litte bit of advice... sort the mini's ahead of time into baggies for each faction.

At painting the bases (at least) also helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
It's much easier to learn than Mage Knight, if that's any consolation. The rule book makes a bit of a meal of it but it's not actually too complicated.

This. I feel your pain on Make Knight. But WOTR is much more intuitive. Ricky Royal's walkthrough is awesome.

Also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED is Rafamir's Fully Annotated Game walkthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick JoJo
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright guys,thanks for the tips.Will certainly check this Ricky Royal guy

I will check back again when I will have hopefully finished successfully my first WoTR game.Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander III
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After all that, before you play, download and use this:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/84988/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game and didn't really have a problem with the rules (no lengthy videos needed).

I didn't play on the same day I read the rules - it took me a while too and does need some preparation.

However the first time I attempted to play it we just completed setup and my opponent said they had had enough and left the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
I have played the game and didn't really have a problem with the rules (no lengthy videos needed, I find reading quicker for comprehension myself).

However the first time I attempted to play it we just completed setup and my opponent said they had had enough and left the table!

Yeah if I'm showing it to someone new I always have the game setup before they get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:
nickbolton wrote:
I have played the game and didn't really have a problem with the rules (no lengthy videos needed, I find reading quicker for comprehension myself).

Yeah if I'm showing it to someone new I always have the game setup before they get there.

Definitely - I learnt my lesson. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
After all that, before you play, download and use this:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/84988/

And don't forget to buy fubar awol's awesome strongholds as well! sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have most of them can't wait to put them on the New Board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, of course, if at any time during the learning process it still gets daunting, just take a little stroll down this lane for immediate inspiration.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/72955/war-ring-second-editio...

I can watch this over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A game like this you must play it through on your own first. Trying to teach and stumble around when you have not played through turns on your own is suicidal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Whether you're playing War of the Ring or Settlers of Catan. NEVER bring a game to the table with other people while not knowing how to play it yourself. Always a recipe for disaster. If someone invites me to play a game and then starts reading from the rule book... I know I'm gonna be in for some crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What helped me most was finding a thematic reason for the little picky rules. If I could tie the exceptions to a story I could remember them much better.

That being said, I still miss rules I'd encourage you to watch the videos but then just play. Write down any rules problems if they can't be solved in 30 seconds during the game and look them up later. Keep the game moving and know that no matter how hard you try you WILL miss something on your first play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harvest4 wrote:
Whether you're playing War of the Ring or Settlers of Catan. NEVER bring a game to the table with other people while not knowing how to play it yourself. Always a recipe for disaster. If someone invites me to play a game and then starts reading from the rule book... I know I'm gonna be in for some crap.

I got New Bedford and had only watched 2 videos and had read the rules.
invited some friends over and played with out every playing before we went to the rule book a few times but we had fun. everyone loved the game and couldn't wait to play it again. But in most cases i do play the game first before i invite others to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sometimes while playing I will run into rules questions. If I can't find the answer quickly, I will just take my best guess and then come here to find the answer later.

I might learn a game while reading the rule book together with my wife. But if I want to teach a gaming partner (and want them to play again), I will learn it first.

Don't worry. Most games seem overwhelming when explaining the rules the first time. This one a bit more so because of the thick rule book. But it doesn't feel more complicated than a lot of other games I play even with the thick rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chelo
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ricky Royal + Annotated example of play

Then just go with the game, don't push yourself into a zero error game, just let the game and its thematic flow... In a few games, when you both are more competitive just check your doubts in the bgg, there is always an answer.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
If you find one of the easiet rulebooks hard than you need to change your approach. Because you have problems.
1. Try to read in portions. read rules for 2-3 days and read section by section. Tht way your brains will not be overrun by new info.
2. Set up game right from the start and try each section of rules yourself to memorize it better or find what questions you might have regarding any aspects.
3. You might want to prefer games with less rules or easy variations like new FFG games where you can read 8 pages and start playing light version of the game and than slowly read more complex rules.
War of the ring rulebook is one of the clearest I ever read. It consist of rules for 10 pages and rest is just very detailed explanation of each rule in case reader didnt get it himself. That saves people from guessing what rule means like in Zpocalypse for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.