Popular Tags: [View All]
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

May I please ask what the principal rules changes are between 1st (which I have, along with its expansion) and 2nd editions?

I know that the '0' square has been duplicated on the map, to allow two zulu units to access it at once.

I also know that the Private Hook card has been amended - but I'm not sure how. Might someone please clarify?

I also know that there are a handful of new cards, including (so I am told) 'Dick the Surgeon's Dog' (which sounds rather like a flogging offence to mewhistle).

Any other significant changes?

Cheers in advance for any help!!

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Basically the 2nd edition combines the expansion from the 1st edition. There could be some new cards though.I had both editions but gave away the 1st edition to a friend after I got the second edition. I did not have the expansion from the first edition.

The biggest rule change that comes to mind is this:
(This is from the FAQ file here on the geek for the first edition)
When you use a Hero card as a Volley card, is that
considered a free action?
No. Free actions are “Heroic” actions: Continuous (blue text),
Sacrifice (discard this card to...), and Leadership (return this
card to your hand to...). Using a Hero card as a volley is
never considered a free action.

In the second edition using an available hero for a volley is a free action. In the first edition it was not. So that can make a pretty big difference. I think most of the other rules are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Below is something someone posted after the second edition came out that pointed out some of the changes.

Let's try to compile an overview of all the rules changes between the first and second edition. It seems to me that owners of the 1st edition who are considering "upgrading" to 2nd edition would not only get revised (and for the most part, improved) material, but also a slightly different and, most notably, more challenging game.

I own the 1st edition and do like it a lot. I also own the expansion but have yet to play with it.

The following is a compilation of changes I was able to spot between the 1st and 2nd edition rules booklets.

I did not compare:
- The exact iMpi chip distribution, because I'm a lazy person.
Although I think I did spot an additional +2 chit for the loins that wasn't there in the 1st ed.
- The cards, because I do not have access to the new edition cards.
From reading the rules I get there is now Dick the dog. Please don't tell me they also added a cute kid.
In the essay that comes with the 2nd edition rules it says "Everyone seems to love pets". Objection! Not in my Zulu game, thank you.

Alright, let's quit dicking around (heh) and get on with it.
These are the changes in the 2nd edition that I recognized:

- The expansion kit is included (more or less, see details below)

- Two "0" spaces on the map (1st ed.: One single "0" space)

- Three "R" iMpi chits (1st ed.: 2 chits)

- Building ablaze/on fire iMpi chits: Returned to cup during day (1st ed.: Always discarded)

- Prince Dabulamanzi iMpi chit: Returned to cup during day. This was a 1st ed. expansion (non-optional) rule not present in the base game (1st ed. Base game: Always discard).

- Zulu Snipers iMpi chit: Always return to cup (1st ed.: Return to cup only during day, discard at night)

- Action Phase: 2nd ed. [6.0 The Action Phase] page 10 says: "Important: cards with their titles in white boxes cannot be used to perform any of these Actions (6.3 to 6.6)." This includes fighting a building fire and distributing ammunition/water.
1st. ed. did not have that restriction. Instead the paragraphs on fire and ammunition both said: "... spend an Action and have one Available Hero (of any rank or type) perform this task.". The 2nd ed. paragraph on fire fighting does not have this wording any more, whereas the paragraph on distributing ammunition still has, thus creating a minor contradiction.
In my games Surgeon Reynolds sometimes made himself useful lugging around some ammunition. Now it seems that most of the time he will just be looking after (or, if applying my house rule, looking for) Dicky.

- Action Phase: Firing volleys with hero cards: Hero must be available. (1st ed.: The hero may be played directly from your hand as well)

- Hero phase: Opportunity of putting forth a second private when putting forth most private cards. I cannot find anything like this in the 1st ed. rules/cards.

- Hero phase: Dick the fox terrier may be put forth for free. No comment.

- Victory Point Schedule: VP determination
Different VP schedule between editions, e.g. 2nd ed.: +3 VPs (vs. +2) for each Zulu Hit marker casualty, +4 (vs. +2) for buildings not burning, +6 (vs. +5) for destroyed Zulu iButhos, but only +10 (vs. +20) if game ended by Relief Column card. Much higher VP penalties for Heroic Support banners (1st ed.: Optional Support markers) on the map (NNC -7, NNH -5, and G.Co. -10 vs. 1st ed. -3 each or -4/-3/-5, the text seems to contradict the table in my edition)

- Victory Point Schedule: VP total evaluation
The VP total evaluation has changed in 2nd edition. Generally higher VP totals are required than in 1st edition, e.g. Tragic defeat is 24 or less (vs. 15 or less), Epic victory is 60+ (vs. 40+)

- Optional Rules: 1st ed. rule [12.1] Varying iButho Starting Strength (slightly random iButho strength), is no longer present. Replaced by 2nd ed. [12.1] Stronger iButhos (+1 hit point each iButho)

- Optional rules: 1st ed. rule [12.2] A Tighter Game, remove three cards and three iMpi counters, at random, is no longer present in the 2nd edition

- Optional rules: 1st ed. expansion rule [12.5] Zulu Bravery / British Luck, convert a single 5 or 6 die to 6 or 5 respectively, at the cost of discarding any card, is no longer present in 2nd ed.

- Optional rules: 2nd ed. [12.2] Melee Combat, cards 24 and 25 are not affected by night DRM penalty. This was a 1st ed. expansion (non-optional) rule not present in the base game

- Optional rules: 2nd ed. [12.5] Officers, remove seniority debate chit and treat Lt. Adendorff like the native bumpkin deserves it (i.e ignore him), is absent from 1st ed. rules

That's what I could find.

I would be grateful for any corrections or additions in case I got something wrong or missed anything.

Also comments on the changes to the cards would be much appreciated.
I almost don't dare to ask, but what does the darn dog do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was very comprehensive, Joseph! Many thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.