Popular Tags: [View All]
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me say how much I love this game. Every time our games have been close and fun. But, one thing that has bothered our group is how connections are scored. Maybe we are doing it wrong.

It seems clear in the rules that you count the number of "bridges" or connections between provinces. Each connection across provinces is worth one point. But, this does not seem to make the area control aspect of the game worth enough points. You only get one point for placing ANY cities in a provinces, but to pursue a long connection string, you might have to place two per provinces, which is hard to do.

It seemed to us, that one point is not enough for the connections. Two is too much, so I was thinking that an extra bonus should be given for every second or third connection in a string. This would be akin to how commodities are played.

But, are we are playing it wrong in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but I think you're playing wrong. The connections ARE scored exactly like the commodities. If you place a palace that is in a line of connected palaces covering 5 provinces, then you'd score 5 points for your placement. (where you already scored 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 points...so after your placement you've made a total of 15 points off your chain)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the morning coffee has not kicked in yet, but that does not sound right.

I get five for the placement (and assuming all those palaces are connected directly) get four for each bridge. So... a1=>b2=>c3=>d4=>e5 ... I get five points for having one palace (a thru e) in each province (1 thru 5) and then four points for each connection (here shown as => for a total of nine. But, the way we are playing if you have a1=>b2=>b3=>c4=>d5, you get four points for placement (one for each province) and four points for each connection btw provinces because the connection btw b2 and b3 is not worth a point because it does not cross provinces.

At least that is how we are playing it and they way it looks in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow. Uh, you'll be interested to hear that you're already vastly *overscoring* your connections (which makes it seem funny that you're complaining that they're worth too little, where it would seem to most onookers that your interpretation of scoring would make connection scoring already too powerful.)

When you score a region, you score a point for having at least one palace in that region, plus a point for every other region in which you have at least one palace that can be 'traced' back to at least one of your palaces in the currently-scoring province (by a chain of points, all of which are occupied by your palaces).

So it sounds to me like you're scoring nine and saying that's too few (you want it to be... 13?) - but you really should be scoring five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
When you score a region, you score a point for having at least one palace in that region, plus a point for every other region in which you have at least one palace that can be 'traced' back to at least one of your palaces in the currently-scoring province (by a chain of points, all of which are occupied by your palaces).

Agreed. You don't count "bridges".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, wait, wait..... I think I might see where we are getting it wrong. Its not HOW we are scoring it, but when..... we were counting all the connections at the end of the game, BUT you are saying that we should count them at the end of each turn.

Now, see that makes more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you score immediately when you place a palace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
jonjacobmoon wrote:
Wait, wait, wait..... I think I might see where we are getting it wrong. Its not HOW we are scoring it, but when..... we were counting all the connections at the end of the game, BUT you are saying that we should count them at the end of each turn.

Now, see that makes more sense.

Well that's not quite right either. Connections are only scored when you place a palace, and I'm pretty sure you only score for a chain of palaces if your current palace extends the chain. So if you placed a palace, and it didn't "connect" then you'd only get the 1 point for the palace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. I understand that. Okay, to clarify....

If I place in province 4 and I have a1=>b2=>c3=>d4, in the current round, I get one for placing in a province and 3 for the number of connections for a total of four. If d4 does not connect to anything, I get only one point for the placement.

Hey, am I slow, but I'll get there eventually
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bingo. Assuming a1->b2->c3 represents a chain of 3 or more temples in a continuous path (every point along which has a temple of your colour) spanning exactly 3 regions. If such a chain is linked to one or more of your temples in the currently-being-scored region (4), you will score 4 points; if that chain does not link to any of your temples in the current region you will score but one point if you have any temples in the current region (and 0 if you have no temples in the current region).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.