12 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Scythe 7th Solo Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam male
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is my 7th time playing solo variant of Scythe. I enjoy the solo variant more than I anticipated. The Automa cards randomize the AI actions thus more unpredictability which gives the solo variant an extra edge compares to other games. And it took less than an hour to finish a solo session.

Tonight I played as Engineering Rusviet. Rusviet because I lost terribly playing the faction before. Engineering is the random player mat I got, which gives more benefits in building structures. The Automa played as Polania. It was East against the West tonight.

I was lucky to get the secret objective that goes well with my faction ability, that is to have a Factory card and 0 upgrades (Technological Breakthrough). But first I need to build the mech that allows me to move between village that I controlled and the Factory (Township). My favourite first action is to produce, with a village and a mountain adjacent to my homebase, I got another worker and iron. Then I moved all workers to the mountain and my character, Olga to the village. Next production gave me 3 more irons to be used to deploy the mech on next turn.With the Township ability unlocked, I moved my character to the Factory and the mech brought all the workers to the desert nearby to drill some oil. 1 achievement star on board and another lucky strike at the Factory when I got the extra action to pay 2 different resources to either deploy a mech or build a structure. The next few turns were focusing on producing resources & moving around for the top-row actions while also doing upgrades, deploy some mechs & build structures. My next 3 stars came from those 3 actions: upgrades, mechs & structures. It was among the best engine I've ever built in the game.

My character was able to take 7 encounters while moving around the land! The 1st was to build my first structure on the desert in my peninsula, 2nd enlisting the recruit (the bear!) that give me power everytime I upgrade while also taking 2 combat cards as the 1-time bonus as the combat cards that I started with has low numbers, 3rd deploying another mech, 4th gaining 2 popularity because I already have al 4 mechs by the time my character took that encounter with the cow and mech, 5th enlisting my 2nd recruit and I increased my popularity with people of the land during the last 2 encounters. Only 2 encounters left by the end of the game, while the other 2 encounters were taken by the Automa.

However, the Automa's combat units were moving too close to my homebase in the middle of the game. In the only combat during the game, I used up all my power and my highest combat card (5) to protect the mountain with monument. Luckily the Automa only used 7 power and no combat card. I got my 5th star, tied with the Automa. Another lucky moment when I drew the Automa card and it didn't advance on that round, giving me an extra turn to put my final star on board! I usually ended the game by moving my mechs while dropping off the workers to spread all over the map and control more territories, but since I already did that before the last Automa's turn, I chose to produce the last worker from 1 of the village I controlled, which also cost me 1 power and 1 popularity. Thank God I already increased my popularity to the second tier before.

The game ends with me - 86 and the Automa - 77, thanks to the extra points from structure bonus. Here's some more pictures of the state of the board by the end of the game! It really was an awesome journey throughout the land, and looking back at the board after the game feels so amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, thanks!

One question, when you are moving workers, are you placing them in the space neighbouring the most other Automa units and only using "closest to factory" as a tiebreaker? With "neighbouring space" including a hex with a combat unit directly on it? It looks like those workers might have been placed with incorrect movement. It is very unusual to see no workers left on the original peninsula. Keep in mind that if a worker is already in the space neighbouring the most other units at the start of its move (and isn't next to a combat unit) it will stay there and it will still count as a valid move.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the game. I have about the same number of solo plays under my belt as you and I am loving every minute of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuda Kaizar
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't really remember the details, but the Automa's combat units did coming closer to my homebase during midgame which is why more workers going to the center of the map as well. I originally buy the game to play with my game group but the solo game feels so great, it is so worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I seeing it right, that you placed lone workers in lakes?
This is not allowed - or have I overseen something??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
Am I seeing it right, that you placed lone workers in lakes?
This is not allowed - or have I overseen something??

The Automa: Treats lakes as normal territories (hexes) and can cross any
river after a specific point is reached in the game. (From the first page of the Automa rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Stock
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
adammale84 wrote:
Then I moved all workers to the mountain and my character, Olga to the village.

I guess a playing mistake by you, but that is not possible.
You are only allowed to move two units, but when you move two workers and Olga its three units. Or did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
flolo wrote:
adammale84 wrote:
Then I moved all workers to the mountain and my character, Olga to the village.

I guess a playing mistake by you, but that is not possible.
You are only allowed to move two units, but when you move two workers and Olga its three units. Or did I miss something?

The upgraded Move action lets you move 3 units -- that might have been it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Stock
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
flolo wrote:

From the description, it reads, as was it his 2nd turn choice, so its very unlikely.

In general I can only agree with author: I like the solo variant more than I expected. A very good job from Morten, esp. how he implemented the different difficulties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim D
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flolo wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
flolo wrote:

From the description, it reads, as was it his 2nd turn choice, so its very unlikely.

In general I can only agree with author: I like the solo variant more than I expected. A very good job from Morten, esp. how he implemented the different difficulties.

It's only two moves, as one worker starts on the mountain. One worker moves from village to mountain (making two on the mountain), and Olga goes from the base to the village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Stock
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
JimDinVT wrote:

It's only two moves, as one worker starts on the mountain. One worker moves from village to mountain (making two on the mountain), and Olga goes from the base to the village.

No, you forgot that the first action was produce, so there are two worker on the village. Moving all the workers would result in 3 in the mountains. (And it were 3 moves: the two village workers and Olga).

(It is really not important, just want to give the poster the tip, that he maybe played a rule wrong. In the middle in one of our first games, we also realized that a player played the whole time, that the character can, like a mech, carry workers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I'm happy that you enjoyed playing against our Automa .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam male
msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually it was several turns after that but I just conclude it in 1 sentence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.