Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.yahoo.com/news/charles-koch-says-suggestion-back...

Apparently one of the Koch brothers reffered to rumors he was backing Hillary as 'Blood Libel.' I will admit ignorance in the nuance of the term, though I know the basics. It seems to me to be stretching the term to meaninglessness to apply it in this instance, am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't Palin also use that term in the past?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The term can be used a few different ways from the most literal to the metaphorical. In the latter case, it refers to the notion that supposedly Jews will do whatever is needed to gain political power, even consenting to the murder of people who stand in the way. For supporting Clinton to be a blood libel, Koch has to believe that Clinton has proverbial blood on her hands, which he may well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
The term can be used a few different ways from the most literal to the metaphorical. In the latter case, it refers to the notion that supposedly Jews will do whatever is needed to gain political power, even consenting to the murder of people who stand in the way. For supporting Clinton to be a blood libel, Koch has to believe that Clinton has proverbial blood on her hands, which he may well.

Thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he just means "really, really derogatory", and wasn't thinking about it too much. I find it a stretch to impute anti-Semitism here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.