Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everyone. How's it going?

I've recently purchased a copy of the Dominion War OP prize version of Deep Space Nine and I'm looking to make sure that I can also field the retail version without having to buy a second model, so I'd like to find out the differences between the two. From what I can see:

- The OP version comes with Deep Space Nine and Abandoned Space Station (Independent) ship cards whereas the retail version comes with (a different) Deep Space Nine and Terok Nor ship cards.

- The OP version doesn't seem to come with any rules for movement nor a movement card or manoeuvre dial. Presumably the retail version has all three, especially considering that the tournament FAQ specifies that space stations are only tournament legal if they have a manoeuvre dial (and a model).

- The OP version doesn't come with any rules on how to attack with the station. There are fire arcs on the pylons but there is also also what appears to be a 360-degree symbol in the centre of the base plate. Does the retail version come with any kind of rules or clarification on this?

- The OP version comes with no captain or crew cards but the retail version does (this isn't an issue for me, as I already have a set of the DS9 crew cards from a previous purchase of a second-hand collection).

- I have a base plate/ship token for the OP version. Is the retail version the same or different? I'm assuming that it's different, because it'll have Terok Nor on the rear side instead of the Independent Abandoned Space Station, but is the DS9 side identical?

Is there anything else here that I've missed? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

Regards,
Liam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot to mention that they have different paint jobs (the OP one is nicer and the retail one is silvery metallic).

other than that, you seem to have nailed everything. The original OP one had rules for using it, but they were included in the OP kit (just a single sheet printout). It was actually a lot more powerful and useful back then. It could fire 4 shots a turn (one from each pylon and one from the central 360' arc), but that was changed when the retail one came out and nerfed the station to almost unplayability. It looks cool though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ender02 wrote:
You forgot to mention that they have different paint jobs (the OP one is nicer and the retail one is silvery metallic).

Ha ha! I didn't even consider the paint job, but now that you mention it there does seem to be a significant difference in the paint. Also, the OP model's pylons aren't glued on whereas the retail version is.

Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I'm going to have to see if I can find someone who's willing to let me have those extra parts I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, you could get the upgrade cards and captain tokens with the Cloaked Ship Pack. That being said, getting a retail DS9 is much more possible (and cheaper) scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
For what it's worth, you could get the upgrade cards and captain tokens with the Cloaked Ship Pack. That being said, getting a retail DS9 is much more possible (and cheaper) scenario.

I already have the Captain and Crew cards (minus T'Kar, but I don't really play Klingons a lot so I'm not terribly fussed about that) thanks to buying a second-hand collection a little while ago.

Finding a retail DS9 for a reasonable price was a nightmare; nowhere I looked in the UK had one. The best price I could find for one abroad was around £90 including shipping (around $120 US) plus import fees. I lucked out and managed to get this Dominion War OP version for around half of that, so as long as I can find the appropriate cards, dial, and ship token for a good price then I reckon I'll have come out ahead .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I might have the base, movement dial and template to offer. As for the reference cards, I could scan them so you'd at least be able to make proxies if you wanted. Does that interest you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the retail DS9 and the only thing you missed I think is that it does not come apart like the OP one, they 6 pylons will not come off it as they are glued to it very well which makes it harder to transport.... BUT it was no less fun to repaint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Well, I might have the base, movement dial and template to offer. As for the reference cards, I could scan them so you'd at least be able to make proxies if you wanted. Does that interest you?

It does. I've sent you a message/geekmail.

MaximumDT wrote:
I have the retail DS9 and the only thing you missed I think is that it does not come apart like the OP one, they 6 pylons will not come off it as they are glued to it very well which makes it harder to transport.... BUT it was no less fun to repaint.

Yeah, I did miss that part. I have heard, however, that if you keep putting the legs on and off the OP version then the pegs wear down and start to become loose, so perhaps having the glued retail version (that comes in a box that you can use for transporting it) is better in the long run.

Also, nice repaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:

That's awesome Robert! Glad to see support for each other.

If anyone else has an extra, I'm also looking for these as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bjordgamer wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

You're also running the prize DS9?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Bjordgamer wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

Yes, I wanted to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have a friend who might have pieces from her DS9 retail. I'll get back to you on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
I think I have a friend who might have pieces from her DS9 retail. I'll get back to you on that.

Thank you, appreciate all your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bjordgamer wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Bjordgamer wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

Yes, I wanted to try it out.

FYI - you can't use them both at the same time.
Tournament Rules 2016-05-31, Suggested Tournament Format section wrote:
Only 1 ship or station with the oversized base (Borg Cube Class & Nor Class Orbital Space Station Class) may be used in a fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw shoot, you mean we can't use a trio of Cubes to take on the Federation? devil

Update for Bjord/Chris: She already sold her DS9 and parts, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Aw shoot, you mean we can't use a trio of Cubes to take on the Federation? devil

That is part of the tournament rules. You can play as many as you like out side of OP play.

What is interesting is that you cannot use both versions of DS9 because it is two unique cards of the same name. However there is nothing stopping you from using DS9 and Terok Nor. There is nothing on the cards that prohibits it even though they are the same station. They did print a restriction for other ships that go by different names but not Terok Nor. You can't have Kruge's BoP and HMS Bounty in the same fleet. You can't have the Trager and Assimilated Vessel 84758 in the same fleet. I guess WK just didn't count on too many people having multiple stations.

To the OP one thing to point out is that each station card has different upgrade bars.

OP DS9 has W/W/W/C/C/C

OP Nor Class Station has W/W/C/C

Retail DS9 has T/W/W/C/C/C

Terok Nor has T/T/W/W/C/C

Also the Dominion War was the only place to get the Independent Nor Class Station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kidding. I know that even if it COULD be done, it wouldn't make for a good match. The area a single NCS or Borg Cube takes up alone makes it a bugger to move around. 2 or even 3, you'd need a much bigger map to even make it remotely fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
I'm kidding. I know that even if it COULD be done, it wouldn't make for a good match. The area a single NCS or Borg Cube takes up alone makes it a bugger to move around. 2 or even 3, you'd need a much bigger map to even make it remotely fun.

I figured you were kidding. I haven't thought about cubes yet, but I have been working on a scenario for 3 stations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.